Let's see your home made speaker stands, I'm going to build some.

GD70

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I plan to build stands for my Design Acoustics PS-10's. I'll use Oak and stain to match as closely as possible. The base & top plate will match the speaker base dimensions exactly. Will be 36" high.

What I'm interested in is the vertical support design. I'm playing around with sketches, but would love to see what you guys are doing or have done.

Thanks!

Glenn

I don't like that design at all. Looks very unstable. I've built several pairs of stands using 3/4 in. mdf and as a general rule of thumb, I use a 2 to 1 ratio. That is if the top is 8 in. on a side, the base is 16 in. on a side. I also make the uprights quite thick. 6 in. on a side in this case. Glued and screwed is the only way to put stands this heavy together. Drill a hole in the top large enough to pour a few pounds of sand or shot in. I personally don't use either as the stands are solid enough on their own. The above measurements were used for a pair of Celestion 100s, which need good, heavy stands.

Total cost for the above stands, about $20.

I've used T-slot aluminum framing for the vertical support on my stands, works well and is pretty easy to work with.

Here's some pics of them in this thread, scroll down to the bottom of the page to see how they're put together.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=422310&highlight=butcher

Thanks for the link to your pics. They look very nice.:thmbsp:
I'm leaning toward Oak for the vertical supports at this point. Possibly an I beam design. I can also hide the wires in the back side of the I beam.

Last edited:
Not to be off topic but I have had very good luck with wall shelving many of my speakers,the PS-10's in particular....by design they don't get out of sorts close to a wall.Disclaimer: I live in a log cabin so any wall is fair game!

Not to be off topic but I have had very good luck with wall shelving many of my speakers,the PS-10's in particular....by design they don't get out of sorts close to a wall.Disclaimer: I live in a log cabin so any wall is fair game!

Interesting. Mine are currently sitting on wood wine boxes, from a local wine store, near a wall. Initially I thought it would be fun to have wine bottles in them as well, but I don't think the vibration would be so good for the wine!
IMG_4923.jpg

IMG_4967.jpg

I also want to be able to move them around the room for optimal staging.
The Cabinet the TV & stereo are in will be moving to the dining room to become a dish, linen etc...closet because of an addition currently under construction. This set up will change a bit as well as speaker location.

Just made this tonight. Needs a few improvements before I can set the JBL 4410's on them, but they work for these smaller cabinets. A little wobbly until I re-do them with some stronger hardware, but sounds way better than the floor! They seem to isolate the speakers pretty well, too.

403788_3499502442041_1717492759_n.jpg

3669_3499519722473_370754732_n.jpg

Just made this tonight. Needs a few improvements before I can set the JBL 4410's on them, but they work for these smaller cabinets. A little wobbly until I re-do them with some stronger hardware, but sounds way better than the floor! They seem to isolate the speakers pretty well, too.

403788_3499502442041_1717492759_n.jpg

3669_3499519722473_370754732_n.jpg

These are interesting and innovative. It looks like you can adjust the height?
Nice work!:thmbsp:

Keep them coming guys!

These stands were made years ago when there seemed to be more
hours in the day.

And are made primarily of pear wood, with oak as the top plate.

stands002-3.jpg

stands003-1.jpg

These ones are cherry,mahogany,oak and maple accents. I went a little over board
when I was quite a bit younger. With age comes constraint.

stands014-1.jpg

stands013-1.jpg

This is not what you are looking for, but I think it could help others looking for ideas. Very simple design. The angle is 95º.

P1070002.JPG

stand_P1070030.jpg

stand_P1070043.jpg

These are interesting and innovative. It looks like you can adjust the height?
Nice work!:thmbsp:

Keep them coming guys!

Yup! Although only over a limited range. They're barely constrained, and in fact, if you put the speaker in the wrong spot, they'll collapse. But, as a fun little engineering exercise, I think they work pretty well!

this stand are far from perfect.. being my first audio related DIY project i had no idea what i was doing (as far as how high they should be and so on...). the top and bottom plates will soon be replaced as well but the concept itself remains - and i find it beautifull:

IMG_20111025_202428.jpg

IMG_20111026_100811.jpg

IMG_20111027_213220.jpg

they were made from a railway cross bar that i cut to length, split down the middle and then simply connected to two boards.

These stands were made years ago when there seemed to be more
hours in the day.

And are made primarily of pear wood, with oak as the top plate.

stands002-3.jpg

stands003-1.jpg

These ones are cherry,mahogany,oak and maple accents. I went a little over board
when I was quite a bit younger. With age comes constraint.

stands014-1.jpg

stands013-1.jpg

Wow! These are quite beautiful and look professionally made! Excellent workmanship!

Thanks!

Glenn

Last edited:
this stand are far from perfect.. being my first audio related DIY project i had no idea what i was doing (as far as how high they should be and so on...). the top and bottom plates will soon be replaced as well but the concept itself remains - and i find it beautifull:

IMG_20111025_202428.jpg

IMG_20111026_100811.jpg

IMG_20111027_213220.jpg

they were made from a railway cross bar that i cut to length, split down the middle and then simply connected to two boards.

These are very different. I really like the rough look. What are the new boards going to be?

These are very different. I really like the rough look. What are the new boards going to be?

to be honest.. i still dont know :scratch2: i have too many projects on my plate (only now i finnaly got around to finishing my tannoys today!) that i didnt give it much thought. for starters - it aint gonna plywood, thats for sure. i believe ill go with oak to create a color contrast, but time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom