Lets see your rise time

What are you showing us? How your scope works?

No. Im showing you the rise time of a 485 oscilloscope when fed a high amplitude pulse coupled with a tunnel diode. Do you have some pictures of the rise time of your scope to share? I figured since there are a lot of scope experts here,there would be plenty of pictures of their calibration and testing. My bad.

Ah, you're asking for the rise time of the scope. I thought you were seeking pictures of fast rise times of circuits, not the scope's limitations. I guess I could use the TDR output of my HP 54120 scope, which should have a 30ps rise time, and feed that into another slower scope to see what I get. May take a while to get a picture, but sounds like fun.

Ah, you're asking for the rise time of the scope. I thought you were seeking pictures of fast rise times of circuits, not the scope's limitations. I guess I could use the TDR output of my HP 54120 scope, which should have a 30ps rise time, and feed that into another slower scope to see what I get. May take a while to get a picture, but sounds like fun.
This TD is the fastest rise i have AND it requires a 100V pulse so that kind of sucks. I would love to see some pictures of your stuff.

No. Im showing you the rise time of a 485 oscilloscope when fed a high amplitude pulse coupled with a tunnel diode. Do you have some pictures of the rise time of your scope to share? I figured since there are a lot of scope experts here,there would be plenty of pictures of their calibration and testing. My bad.
You figured wrong. You are using an obscure example that most people can't conduct.

OK, I guess this means the pressure is off and I don't have to devise some method to take a looksee at the scope's rise time? I await your next DIY challenge!

All seriousness aside, a long time ago (early 80s) we used a mercury wetted reed relay to generate sharp edges when looking at rise time of the old LH0033 and LH0063 Fast and Damn Fast buffers. I think the name was later changed to Ultra Fast instead of Damn Fast. At any rate, the mercury wetted aspect made it so the relay contacts didn't bounce and it actually produced a really sharp edge.

OK, I guess this means the pressure is off and I don't have to devise some method to take a looksee at the scope's rise time? I await your next DIY challenge!

All seriousness aside, a long time ago (early 80s) we used a mercury wetted reed relay to generate sharp edges when looking at rise time of the old LH0033 and LH0063 Fast and Damn Fast buffers. I think the name was later changed to Ultra Fast instead of Damn Fast. At any rate, the mercury wetted aspect made it so the relay contacts didn't bounce and it actually produced a really sharp edge.
I know the Tektronix type 109 pulse generator uses a mercury reed switch. The downside to them is they have a very limited life and are filled with mercury.

Back
Top Bottom