Let's start a discussion - where to hold the next FrankenFest?

Discussion in 'Events & Happenings' started by w1jim, Aug 21, 2017.

1. GD70

GD70 AK Subscriber Subscriber

The first metro NY meet was at a church, in the lower basement. It was ok, one open space, but hard surfaces, sonics not so great. There would not have been enough room if the typical Frankenfest crowd showed up.
    There were about 15 or so that attended. What did work well was we would sit in front of each system and listen for 15 minutes or so, then shift the chairs to the next system and so on. Keep working our way around the room, listening several times to each system.
    The recent second NY gathering was in a fairly large lodge. We used two of the three rooms, and surprisingly, sonics were pretty good there.
    Elks lodges, Nights of Columbus facilities are other possibilities with good size spaces, and probably pretty cheap to rent for the day.
    Just throwing out a few ideas here to consider.
    Glenn

baco99 likes this.
  2. BillyTheKid

BillyTheKid Active Member

i put in my pin, stayed blue for some reason.
    it looks like the Worcester area is most central...sorta where we were at Franks.

i'm looking at websites for places, most look too nice ( re: expensive ) for our needs. Anybody on this forum a member of Elks or Knights of Columbus ?

3. w1jim

w1jim I can fix it but good... Subscriber

Keep looking!
    Currently we're looking at a gun club in Hopkinton and a VFW hall in Sutton.
    Both should be easy to access for our crew.
    Stay tuned and let me know of any other suggestions.
    The gun club rental would be $250 plus a $100 cleanup deposit. Some members have offered to front the money - which we would reimburse after the event from entry fees.

For the next event I'm planning on getting embroidered polo shirts made which (like before) I would presell.
    My plan is to create a small fund that we could use to finance future events.

4. baco99

baco99 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Jim, does it make sense to register this as a 501c3 to keep the tax man happy?

5. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

It complicate things especially since y'all really are doing the chip in to make things work.

6. baco99

baco99 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Sorry, I worked for an insurance company for a little while. I like structure.

7. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

Understandable - the 501 C3 moniker means you have to keep track of every penny. I mean SMAC isn't that way and it has been around 10 yrs.

8. GD70

GD70 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Once a place is picked and the fees are known, let us know. I'll certainly prepay. We did it like that for the Blue Mtn. Lodge.
    This time we donated the extra funds to keggers family. Next year what ever is left over, we'll hold and put toward the following event.

9. John in MA

John in MA Respect the gamba tuba Subscriber

Does the gun club rental include range access?