Let's talk Binoculars

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoor Adventure' started by REMINGTON700, Mar 23, 2018.

1. cratz2

cratz2 Addicted Member

That often ends in regurgitation! :p

I was on a boat outside Clearwater Beach with my 10x42 Nikons and another person on board had some nice 16x50s or 60s. I suggested she look through mine. She was pretty amazed at how well she could see and that everything looked so clear and bright.

I looked through hers... man.

I told her that I'd prefer to have had 8x42s and that 7x35s and 7x50s were the marine standard.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Huck

Huck Active Member

I ended up buying the Vortex Viper HD 10x50 (2018 model) instead of the Viper HD 10x42 I originally was looking at.I don't imagine the extra light available with the 50's would do my old eyes any benefit...4.2mm vs 5.0mm.
    Now the wait for them to arrive! Huck

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    cratz2 likes this.
  3. Nightcleaner

Nightcleaner Active Member

The more powerful the Binoculars. the hard it is to hold the bloody things still when you look through them. i have some sukura Binoculars 20x180x100 and you cant hold them you need a tripod . Guess what. No tripod brush to be seen

If you lived next door i give them to you

4. mhardy6647

mhardy6647 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Oh, I think having the extra light gathering capacity will add value, all else being equal. It's not just the exit pupil that's important.

cratz2 and Huck like this.
  5. KingBubba

KingBubba "Too Much Stuff" Subscriber

Tripod brush? I am not familiar with that item.

6. Nightcleaner

The tripod input socket that can be found on the bottom of any camera

please do not take me to task on the word Any ....... please .. this is not Digital spy :)

7. mhardy6647

Many binoculars have a little, removable cap usually on the bridge between the two tubes. The cap covers up a 1/4-20 female threaded socket. With a little right-angle adaptor, the binoculars can then be mounted on a standard tripod.

It's essential to use a tripod with binoculars > about 12 x magnification... although the image stabilizers (sold by, e.g., Canon & Fuji and, if memory serves, discussed also in this thread, earlier) can extend "hand-holdability" to higher power binoculars (for a price).

This is pretty typical -- both Porro and roof prism binoculars often have such sockets for an adaptor like the one in the image below:

[​IMG]
    borrowed image, source: http://www.birdwatching-bliss.com/binocular-tripod-mount.html

Big binoculars, especially for night-sky (astronomical) viewing sometimes have more "normal" tripod mounts built-in.
    Here's an example (albeit a cheap one) from the nice folks @ Orion:
    https://www.telescope.com/Orion/2160.home

[​IMG]

8. KingBubba

Very cool, thanks.

Nightcleaner likes this.
  9. Nightcleaner

Should have brushed up my Japaneses read the sheet of words that come with mine before spouting of. Sorry all

Found the Tripod feature exactly where you described: Thanks very much

cratz2 and mhardy6647 like this.
  10. Nightcleaner

I got my bracket: I took it all to the beach for a look at the (Now Now) I went on the pier found myself a Big Table to lay my bits on screw it all together. My tripod a small one and so flimsy. The binoculars are too much for it. I got to survey some of the nice scenery. What a disappointment. I felt and still feel my Lumix Camera much better. I'm not going to bother again with the Binoculars

This is my Lumix Camera This power boat was around 4 miles out. My binoculars can not compete with my camera for usability and Fun. Look at the way the zoom lens can invade someones privacy. That boat was just a splash in the water to the naked eye

Attached Files:

11. Mystic

Mystic We're all born mad

I have but a single set of binoculars, whch are sorta old, hand-me-downs from paternal grandfather when I was (still) not even a teen.

1) Marks on "left lens" housing:

MAGNA
    Made In Japan
    8x30
    Serial No. 2151298

2) Marks on "right lens" housing:

A diamond-shaped insignia
    Tokyo
    Field 7.5"
    Coated

Includes a leather neck strap and leather-covered carrying case w/ blue velvet upholstery. No "year of manufacture" marks anywhere @ the device or cases AFAIK.

What the hell have I got here?

12. mhardy6647

no idea -- sounds pretty generic; maybe post a photo sometime if you get bored?

13. KingBubba

Japanese made very good binoculars, even when sold under someone else's name.

cratz2 likes this.