Let's talk "sleeper" amps!

Fury161

We all know and love the "big boys" (737, 8800, 9100, etc...), but people don't talk as much about their more humble little brothers. Personally, I have a love for the lesser known underdogs. (Think: Nikko Amps.) So, what are some of your favorite Pioneer receivers/int. amps that fly beneath the radar and don't get the credit they deserve?

I have a buddy that has a SX-580 in his office and I just love that thing. The lines are clean and pretty classic looking and at 20 WPC, it's got more than enough juice to fill a small room. I keep telling him it would look super sexy with some cool blue LED's but he's a purist... I do like it enough that I might pick one up for a very small (less than 100 ft2) reading room I'm finishing out at the compound here.

What about you?

I just got a SX-580 in the mail this morning.
I paid $30 shipped. the guy said the right channel was out.
fuse was blown. put in a new fuse and both channels work
and all lights and functions work. no scratchy knobs or switches.
it was also like brand new clean inside. I've had it playing for
a couple hours and it does have a nice sound to it.

I have an SA-520 that runs the front L/R on my av system. Wouldn't mind having another for the rears.

It drives a pair of dcm tf-400s just fine. Being movies/concerts I do use a sub.

Don't you just love when that happens?
Yes I do....lol
I have a SX-750 coming tomorrow that I got
real cheap too. he said he tested everything and
it all worked. the cabinet is real rough though.
I'm a cabinetmaker so that will be a easy fix.

I bought a SX-434 in 1975 while I was in the Navy. The 737 was the one I really wanted but on an E-3 pay the 434 is what I got. And I still have it. It's in my RV Trailer and works great with Minimus 7's in the trailer. Easy to use, (even the G-friend can use it easily), easy to work on (it got a complete overhaul 7 years ago), and it fills the RV quite well. Not going to get rid of it either.

I have a Sound Project 300 (Pioneer SX-300), baby of the x3x line.
It's a pretty little receiver with a tuner that works quite well.
I have a refurbished SX-636 which is audibly better sounding, but it's not head and shoulders better than this one.
I have used the little 300 for weeks at a time in my main system and been generally satisfied with it.
One day I will treat it to new caps and transistors.

model300-alone.jpg

I also have an SA-6500-ii. Though it puts out only 30 W/ch at full volume, it's quite a nice sounding little amp.
SA-6500-II_front.jpg

Back
Top Bottom