LG OLED65E8PUA or Sony XBR-65A8F

Discussion in 'Home Theater & Video' started by unravelled, May 5, 2018.

1. unravelled

unravelled New Member

Wading through the latest 2018 OLED offerings from Sony and LG and I've narrowed down my choices to either the LG OLED65E8PUA or Sony XBR-65A8F.

Any thoughts or recommendations out there? The room is fairly dark but is subject to indirect sunlight. I think the LG has the edge in brightness but I'm not sure. Viewing angles are important but I dont expect there to be a significant difference between the two. I have an Onkyo rz810 receiver and am running 5.2.2 with klipsch reference speakers and subs. I can get the Sony for about $400 cheaper. I do like the styling of the LG better but in the end, I want the better TV between the two.

Any significant differences in features or performance between the two?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. EngineerNate

EngineerNate AK Subscriber Subscriber

LG makes the panel in both, so once calibrated the functional differences are mostly up to the processing tech in each.

3. unravelled

unravelled New Member

Thanks Nate. I cant tell if the LG has chromecast built in. Surely it would?

4. EngineerNate

EngineerNate AK Subscriber Subscriber

I can't comment on that off the top of my head. I've never used chromecast outside of the audio dongle.

5. unravelled

unravelled New Member

I have one as.well but hoping I could ditch that extra dongle

6. Audiofreak71

Audiofreak71 Boerboelicious Subscriber

I would recommend the LG , I have went over many 4K TVs over the past few years because of various qc issues but I finally gave up and went with an LG Oled and it is as good or better in most aspects than my Old Pioneer Elite Kuro plasma . I highly recommend the Lg panels but as stated above the Sony Oleds are LG panels as well but a much different interface, the LG’s magic remote with the pointer is actually very convenient. As far as chrome cast being built in on the 2018 models I don’t know , I doubt it is though but I just use my chromecast hooked up to my oppo udp-203 and it works perfect. Hope you find what your looking for .

Audiofreak71

Please register to disable this ad.

7. Bob

Bob AK Subscriber Subscriber

look at the remote for casting options. Vizio gave a free remote to add popular video and
    casting options - you can cast from phone, tablet or poke around with remote.

8. unravelled

unravelled New Member

Vizio or LG? That's great if it's LG. Thanks for the response.

After reading way too many reviews on the net, it appears that Sony may have a slight edge in motion but LG has a definite edge in brightness .

Really wish I could find a side by side comparison.

9. twiiii

twiiii Addicted Member

It all depends on the processing and how you set up the screen. Sony is supposed to have more advanced processing, but I haven't seem them side by side to compare. Both are great off axis, almost most as good as my Pioneer Elite 151. and 150. I will say most dealers now as in the past run their displays to hot with to much contrast. I wasn't fond of Kodachrome film in the past and I am not fond of over saturated overly modulated pictures now. I agree the brighter OLED and QLED presentations work much better with higher ambient daylight levels. The deeper blacks can be great, but sometimes I feel with to much contrast the images don't look natural. I guess I've been a photographer to long.

10. slow_jazz

slow_jazz Lunatic Member

I own the LG OLED and love it.

Pays to get it professionally calibrated.

Audiofreak71 likes this.