life after cd ?

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by gentlejax, Apr 18, 2017.

1. DaveVoorhis

DaveVoorhis Super Member

Yes. Even if WAV, AIFF and FLAC players stop being available -- as unlikely as that may be -- the file formats for WAV, AIFF and FLAC files are publicly available and well-known, so programmers will inevitably write utilities to translate WAV, AIFF, or FLAC files whatever audio format is popular. Because they're lossless formats, the conversions will result in no loss of fidelity, assuming they're translated into a new lossless format.

2. FauxHall

FauxHall Super Member

I no longer have a CD/SACD player (the ex-wife does.)

What I got instead is a laptop and a Sony HAP-Z1ES hard disk player. About half of the content is ripped CDs but half is hi-res downloads.

It up-samples Redbook files to full SACD and that seems to smooth out some of the grit on CDs. My cell phone does most of the controlling.

This system saves a lot of physical storage space too! The balanced outputs drive a matching Sony amp.

DSC_1226.JPG 2_HAPZ1ES back.jpg

RT Fan likes this.
  3. E-Stat

E-Stat Super Member

Absolutely. For the benefit of others, what does a file based player require?

1. General purpose computer. Many platforms today use some variation of an ARM CPU as used in mobile phones. Both my microRendu and Raspberry Pi use them. Here's a base RPi:

[​IMG]

2. Digital adapter board or imbedded DAC. As with computers, they will only continue to evolve and get smaller. Here's a HiFiBerry Digi+

[​IMG]

3. Suitable software. Today, there are dozens(?) of applications available across multiple operating systems. I use one called PiCorePlayer. Here's a view of its web interface for configuration purposes:

[​IMG]

No more is there reliance upon ongoing availability of specific mechanical transports to maintain. :)

DaveVoorhis likes this.
  4. ldatlof

ldatlof We are all steak Subscriber

Nice write up above. Step 2 could also be a USB DAC.

5. Djcoolray

Djcoolray Super Member

That's probably why I've been finding so many great CD's lately.....

Bodyblue likes this.
  6. E-Stat

E-Stat Super Member

Most certainly true and is the case with the uRendu as it is optimized for use that way using a USB reclocker. Pic courtesy of Abe Collins:

[​IMG]

7. Homer4beer

Homer4beer Active Member

I wonder what will happen when cloud storage fails one day.......I can see data farms being the next terrorist target some day.

Hard drives can and do fail more often than we think. Sure you can have redundancies in RAID but a decent storm and power surge can end that with one lightning strike.

Same go for NAS servers.

For any sort of redundancy against data loss, one needs to be very diligent and unfortunately most people are not.

At least with a physical media it's far harder to destroy and suffer permanent loss. At least if you have physical media the destruction is usually limited to an album (CD lost, record broken etc) but with digital media that can be hundreds, if not thousands, of albums gone in one hit.

I'm all for the convenience of digital media but I will never get rid of my physical media, my redundancy so to speak.

Buying HD Flac albums are fantastic but again it's very easy to lose the files (and your hard earned money) to corruption.

Yes some sites allow you to download them again however what's to guarantee that the business exists in 10 years time when your data is destroyed somehow?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for digital music (I am a kickstarter DAC buyer) and use it all the time. I'm also aware of how that data can vanish in an instant.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 12:47 PM
    zebra03 likes this.
  8. E-Stat

E-Stat Super Member

Dunno. I don't rely on it.

And yet, I've yet to experience that over the past twenty five years. Perhaps it is because I end up replacing drives with higher capacity ones as my needs have increased and prices fallen.

Yeah. I maintain a family of six offline USB hard drives and eight USB flash drives. The hard drives are updated once per week and the flash drives daily with my financial data. Actively spinning rust less than an hour a month should ensure a long MTBF.

Another USB hard drive I gave to my mother in law to back up her computer contains my music library, too. :)

9. DaveVoorhis

DaveVoorhis Super Member

Yes to both, which is why I have files backed up on multiple computers in multiple locations, and on portable drives, and on multiple cloud services.

This is safer than, say, a CD collection as the sole means of maintaining a music collection, because it's vulnerable to fire, vandalism (a fellow I knew broke up with his girlfriend; in return she broke all his CDs and DVDs), theft, and deterioration of the physical media.

I also keep all my ripped CDs in storage, as another form of backup.

10. Will S.

Will S. AK Subscriber Subscriber

Thus proving that he made the right decision.

DaveVoorhis likes this.
  11. gentlejax

gentlejax AK Subscriber Subscriber

so I could run this DAPHILE on a laptop that had xp on it and I upgraded it to Windows 7 but it wont work right in the audio driver department ( I get no sound) ...?? I may have use for the old laptop after all

12. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

YUP - have a 2BG USB stick? You can make it bootable with Daphile - Load it up and try it (doesn't overwrite anything unless you tell it to). You will have to have it connected wireless or wired to your network.

13. eastbrown

eastbrown AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm going to bed,,, I try to click Add to Cart like 10 times...:(

hi*ball likes this.
  14. gentlejax

it loads up DAphile and then after I select english and it goes to install it starts but never completes even though it looks done.

15. botrytis

You only install when it boots up. Did you use Windows image writer to make the USB stick? If so you need USB writer - https://sourceforge.net/projects/usbwriter/

Use this to make the USB and it should work. Don't mess with your HD - just boot it up.

16. gentlejax

I used the USB writer to write the ISO to the uSB drive. it said completed... then installed the usb drive the laptop. it asks ..do I want to setup and so I did. I selected English..then it ask a question about network which I have tried to skip and also not skip with the same result.

the page popes up with the DAPHILE LOGO and underneath there is a bar progress indicator...

it goes like its installing all the way to end but never completes. has been sitting here for 3 hrs and its still stuck.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017 at 2:15 PM
  17. botrytis

It is up and running :D

It is headless - meaning in you don't need any screen or KB. It is on your network - there is a 192.168.*.* number use that in a web browser on your phone or iPad and you will get this....

upload_2017-4-24_15-23-55.png

18. gentlejax

okay I see. since I have a laptop for this Im going to use something that works with its screen

19. botrytis

JRiver is the second best for SQ I have used.