Life Hacks. Which unconventional solutions have you found to life's little problems

Misplace the drain cap on your cooler? The cap from a 2 liter soda bottle (and many regular plastic bottles) will fit most coolers.
Down here in spring and fall we get "love bugs", like you drive 20 miles and the front of your truck is black with them. A wet dryer sheet will dissolve them. Been doing this for a while, no damage to paint has occurred.

Storm advice
Put important papers inside a zip lock bag inside the dishwasher.
Use solar powered outdoor lights as lanterns inside if power goes out

A spring loaded center punch will break glass in your car if you end up under water (I hope nobody has to find out)
I've heard told your head rest will pull out and do the same though I'd hate to bet my life on it.

For asthmatic people mix vap-o-rub into the melted hot wax of a burning candle...and carry a little can of tiger balm to hold over the mouth if breathing becomes taxed. Eucalyptus vapors will relax bronchial passageways.

For sleep problems Melatonin 30mg....

For anxiety a tincture made from wild lettuce......wildlettuce.com and it’s COMPLETELY safe for college students grappling with the responsibilities of maintaining a necessary GPA.

Good stuff, heres a few off the top of my head:

Husky USA 7/32 1/4 inch drive socket in a spinner handle spreads those death grip RCA cable ends.

Those plastic nuts with wings up underneath the cabinet on faucets, try flipping your pliers around and use the handles as a spanner type tool. Did this last week.

Daughter had a skin tag show up on her lip once, doctor said cut, instead we put clear nail polish on it few times a day until it fell off with no sign of ever being there.

Yesterday picked up a drone with a dead lipo for a couple of bucks. I'd post the fix, but lipos are dangerous beasts.

You have slab ant problem? Mix honey and Borax 50/50, set it out and within minutes, ants are munching away. Within 18-24 hrs, the Queen and colony are historical artifacts.
I can also confirm that the Borax works! :thumbsup: I've purchased packaged ant bait that was essentially the same thing--sugar water, and Borax. Now I set them out in the spring in the usual places inside the house, see maybe one or two stray ants, and then don't see them for the next few months. I only purchased the bait because of the packaging--the outdoor version is protected so water can't get in, and I place those where I see an ant trail leading up into the house. The indoor bait was also neat enough to tuck into small places, which I preferred over using open containers of the mixture that we might bump into.

My dog is a real cheese fanatic and after the cheese is gone he would take the plate outside and bury it!
I had to watch my dog carefully so he didn't eat the plate after the cheese was gone. He was a Golden Retriever. Now that the dog is gone I am looking for another solution to cleaning melted cheese from a plate, short of getting another dog...

Ran across this a few weeks ago, this seems fitting.

Attachments

• IMG_20180317_180345_456.jpg
    IMG_20180317_180345_456.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 64
A guy at work handed out a list of supplies for an emergency go bag. The one that caught my eye was keeping a vial of alcohol-based hand sanitizer on hand -- great for emergency fire starting. Wish we would have had that stuff during my pyro Boy Scout days.

For those who get sinus infections or even simple head colds, try this. http://shop.neilmed.com/Products/Sinus-Rinse/Sinus-Rinse-Regular-Kit Walmart and Walgreen both carry it in the sinus section.

I used to get at least one, and often 2-3 severe sinus infections per year. Full spectrum antibiotics did nothing and I simply had to suffer through them. I discovered the above and use it daily as a preventative measure. In over 4 years I've only had one major infection, and that was due to several contributing factors.

Be sure to use only distilled or bottled water and NOT tap water. (Some tap water has nasty things in it that is killed by the stomach acid but will kill you if put into the sinuses) I clean mine by rinsing with tap water followed by a little hydrogen peroxide.
He's not kidding Brain Eating Amoeba's are getting more prevalent and can latch onto the nerve endings in your sinuses follow it right into your brain. In two weeks or so your dead unless your lucky enough to get one of the experimental treatments that give you 7% chance of surviving with brain damage.

Back
Top Bottom