Life Hacks. Which unconventional solutions have you found to life's little problems

Have spending issues using that "emergency" credit card? Put the card in a ziplock, fill with water, and put in the freezer. Thaw for emergencies only!

Sprinkle Epsom salt on lawn, outside, and inside plants for emerald green grass, bloom explosion flowering plants, and bountiful fruits/veggie varieties.

Sprinkle Diatomaceous earth (found at most outdoor stores) on inside plants if you have gnat issues from store bought potting soil. In fact Diat. earth will kill every type of insect in seconds.

Brain eating amoebas?

Jesus, that is nightmare food. Been using a neti pot for nigh on 5 years with tap water. Perhaps I been lucky?

A guy at work handed out a list of supplies for an emergency go bag. The one that caught my eye was keeping a vial of alcohol-based hand sanitizer on hand -- great for emergency fire starting. Wish we would have had that stuff during my pyro Boy Scout days.

9v battery and steel wool. Not the soapy type.

WD-40 to remove sticker residue. It works almost as good as goo-gone, but you don't risk melting plastic (like goo-gone sometimes does).

And it`s an excellent hand cleaner after greasing up working on cars too, both uses seem more effective then it`s intended suggestive lubrication applications !! And of course, Water Displacement uses..

Here's an off the wall idea:

I put ~ 2 liquid ounces each of Dawn dishwashing detergent & vinegar in a 20 ounce spray bottle and fill the rest with water .

It's the best pre-wash stain remover I have used.

Beats Shout, etc.

Other dishwashing detergent may work as well ; haven't tried.

Here's an off the wall idea:

I put ~ 2 liquid ounces each of Dawn dishwashing detergent & vinegar in a 20 ounce spray bottle and fill the rest with water .

It's the best pre-wash stain remover I have used.

Beats Shout, etc.

Other dishwashing detergent may work as well ; haven't tried.
Yeah, I gave up on Shout many years ago. I have lately use some Oxy-something stain remover that works on some stains--doesn't do anything for grease, but seems to get out "organic" stains like from vegetation, dirt, etc., even blood if it's fresh enough (the blood spots will foam up). But for others, including grease spots in clothes that have been washed a few times, I've been trying something called Grandma's Secret Spot Remover:

upload_2018-7-15_14-21-43.png

It's available on Amazon, and I heard about it from a BBQ site, of all places. It has worked on some of the grease spots surprisingly well. Doesn't work on everything, though. Can't hurt to toss some of that Dawn and some distilled vinegar into a spray bottle and give 'er a try. I'll add it to the arsenal. :D

BTW, dyes will not come out not matter what stain remover is used. Think of that crap in a can like Spaghetti-O, Chef Boyardee, Hormel chili, etc.. My oldest used to get it all around her high chair (even with a dropcloth around here), and the Einsteins who owned that house previously had put off-white berber carpeting in the main dining area. :rolleyes: Nothing worked on that. Finally, I took straight Clorox 2 right out of the bottle and rubbed it a bit, and got the dye out; it also slightly faded the carpet but after a few months, it wasn't even noticeable. (Even prior, it wasn't noticeable unless you were on your knees seeing it up close.)

But for others, including grease spots in clothes that have been washed a few times, I've been trying something called Grandma's Secret Spot Remover:
It's available on Amazon, and I heard about it from a BBQ site, of all places. It has worked on some of the grease spots surprisingly well. Doesn't work on everything, though. Can't hurt to toss some of that Dawn and some distilled vinegar into a spray bottle and give 'er a try. I'll add it to the arsenal. :D

I have seen this at the local ACE hardware.

I was on the fence about it; guess I will pick some up

Thanks

I wouldn’t just cut out the carbs, brown rice and yellow rice were around long before man over developed white rice increasing lectins to fight off insect infestations increasing yield. Heartburn comes from modern grains that were designed for yield with increased lectins. Old world traditional companies outside of the US still use ancient grains to make noodles and other things. Considering food should be just like considering any recording for the best source.

Like why did people soak all kinds of different beans for days upon end changing the water every day prior to cooking them. To rid the beans of the amount of lectins they contain so they wouldn’t get sick from eating beans. The eating of beans was actually quite common decades ago when most people were smart enough to stand on their own two feet and not depend on a system to provide convenient food stuffs.

For food and nutrition Paul McCartney said it best....”get back to where you once belonged !!”

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom