Life with the Wadia 171 iPod Transport

70'sMusic

Hi Everyone,

Recently, I picked up a NOS Wadia 171 iPod dock and I have to admit, it has been great! I've always wanted one but thought they were a bit pricey when new and simply used my earphone jack and aux cable. I own several iPods and have enjoyed all of them as sources. Now, I know many people feel that using the earphone jack is inferior but it didn't sound bad to my ears. And with the help of a fellow AK member I have a cable that connects through my iPod Classic's 30-pin connector into a line in jack in my Receiver and that was an improvement over the earphone jack. But, now that I'm using my iPod with my Musical Fidelity TriVista tube DAC, it sounds wonderful! Does anyone else use one of these iPod docks? If "yes" what has your experience been using it?

Wadia-171-iPod-Transport-1.jpg Wadia-171-iPod-Transport-2.jpg

I don't have one but have certainly been looking at them lately. Figured it was time to update some of my digital. Had my eye on a 121 DAC/pre on eBay that went for a ridiculously low price (IMO) the other night.
If I would have had the guts, money and game, it would belong to me right now but I just sat there slack jawed and watched it fly away with one bid.
Anyway, I have a couple of 171s saved in my list so I'll keep a watch on your thread.

I don't have one but have certainly been looking at them lately. Figured it was time to update some of my digital. Had my eye on a 121 DAC/pre on eBay that went for a ridiculously low price (IMO) the other night.
If I would have had the guts, money and game, it would belong to me right now but I just sat there slack jawed and watched it fly away with one bid.
Anyway, I have a couple of 171s saved in my list so I'll keep a watch on your thread.

Hmm, sad to hear you missed out on that deal. But, what I have learned over the years that if you are patient that deal will come around again. Also, as a member you may find one in excellent/mint condition from a fellow AK member. Thanks for sharing.

On my 30 pin Teac iPod dock, I am able to use 5 pin Apple products by using a certified Apple 30 pin female on the dock side to a lightning cable. Helps keep the old gear current. Must be the genuine Apple connector!

Actually got an old OS6 iPod touch up and running for the Teac as well, just last weekend.

I have the 170i transport and I'm having handshake issues with my 160gb ipod so it just sits collecting dust.

Thanks

My iPod has latest update and I even erased it and reloaded music on it and it just won’t play.

I’m not sure what do to get it to work or maybe sell it.

Have you tried playing your iPod through the bottom connector and a cable adapter? If that works then it maybe something with your Wadia unit.

Back
Top Bottom