Lightning cables: lifespan of a fruit fly

transmaster

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have USB cables that are 10+ years old none of my Lightning cables that are working are over 2 years old. Anker and Amazon Basic are the best.....but

08975136-B411-4850-B78A-A0A30F283DCA.jpeg

I have working lightning cables that I'v used every day plugging phones in and out of for at least 7+ years, but they are Apple cables.

The cable, the termination and the connector itself is simply crap. As far as I am concerned, Apple's implementation of such a pathetically fragile connector and socket is disgusting. It's not fit for purpose.

My boys burn through the cables. So does everyone I know.

4-2-7, you must be kind to your connectors, which is admirable. Most people are less kind.

I have cables that look perfect but for no apparent reason fail apparently the chip in the Lightning plug end fails. The Apple cables are horrible they simply fall apart. The longest lasting cables I have are a couple of 4-inch cables that I use with my Anker charging batteries. They are a couple of years old. I only purchase Anker cables, and Amazon Basics which I think are made by Anker. The Anker Powrline cable is cheaper then Apple cables as so much better construction wise. Restorer John If you haven't tried the Anker Cables get a couple and see how they work out they are much cheaper the Apple cables.

I should point out I have Anker USB Mini and Micro cables that are over 5 years old. The only time I have lost one of these cables is from physical damage.

1866E1CE-2AAB-48A8-9381-A1AE5DF16393.jpeg

Last edited:
4-2-7, you must be kind to your connectors, which is admirable. Most people are less kind.
I must be, but think I'm normal I just plug it in every night with a very positive click. I never even un-wrap my newer cables that came with phones and the one I mainly use isn't even white any more, it's dirty yellowy brown:biggrin:

I have working lightning cables that I'v used every day plugging phones in and out of for at least 7+ years
Apple introduced that lightning connector in 2012 (had to look it up on Wikipedia, I thought, time does fly, but am I THAT old fashioned ? I still use the 30-pin cable with my iPhone 4s .... )

I have USB cables that are 10+ years old none of my Lightning cables that are working are over 2 years old. Anker and Amazon Basic are the best.....but

View attachment 1056423
Not my experience at all. I have Apple cables and Amazon cables - have them at work, in my car, on a dual beside charger and around my computer.
All are working fine - got my iPhone 6S plus Sept 2015 ...

I've misplaced a couple Lightning cables but have yet to need to replace them due to malfunction/damage. Still have the working original from my 5s.

Remember what Dad always told you...pull the plug by the plug, not by the cord. ;)

Apple introduced that lightning connector in 2012 (had to look it up on Wikipedia, I thought, time does fly, but am I THAT old fashioned ? I still use the 30-pin cable with my iPhone 4s .... )
Well when the iPhone 5 came out I bought it that first month (I think 10/2012?), that's the cable I'm still using. I bought the iPad 3 just before that also with the 30 pin and thats still in use also.
I predominantly use them in the bed room to charge everyday, but have traveled, brought to work and used in connecting to computers. The cables I got with other iPhones, are still new in the box. The only other lightning cables I have had are the two that came with the rechargeable Apple WiFi mouse and key pad for one of my iMacs that I got around two years ago. They look new and stay connected to the computer but have to get unplugged every time I use it.

That said I use the equipment normally and if cables are looking like the above photos one might want to look at abuse and not normal conditions.

I have never needed to buy any other lighting cable other than what came with the device. In fact I'v never had any USB cable look like the above photos.

Last edited:
I've misplaced a couple Lightning cables but have yet to need to replace them due to malfunction/damage. Still have the working original from my 5s.

Remember what Dad always told you...pull the plug by the plug, not by the cord. ;)
Same here. Both (me and wife) original lightning cables have been doing duty since Sept. 2014 and are in fine shape.

Most people are less kind.
Me wonders how and why they are stressing the cable so much. :idea:

I only have problems if the socket fills up with pocket lint and doesn’t allow the connector to seat all the way.

I think part of the problem is the cases we put our iPhones in. On the cables on use with my iPad which these days does not leave my desk, I don't have a problem. But my iPhones in their Otterbox Defender cases are something of a problem the small lighting plug end fits deeply into the case and it is hard to get fingers on just the hard part of the plug. The latest batch of Anker cables is working great.

Last edited:
The biggest problem of all is the large number of counterfeit cables. I only purchase Anker and Amazon basic cables.

I have cables that look perfect but for no apparent reason fail apparently the chip in the Lightning plug end fails. The Apple cables are horrible they simply fall apart. The longest lasting cables I have are a couple of 4-inch cables that I use with my Anker charging batteries. They are a couple of years old. I only purchase Anker cables, and Amazon Basics which I think are made by Anker. The Anker Powrline cable is cheaper then Apple cables as so much better construction wise. Restorer John If you haven't tried the Anker Cables get a couple and see how they work out they are much cheaper the Apple cables.

I should point out I have Anker USB Mini and Micro cables that are over 5 years old. The only time I have lost one of these cables is from physical damage.

View attachment 1056693
I bought this exact cable from Anker to put in my Jeep for CarPlay and it had all kinds of issues dropping the signal. It works fine for charging, but I had to go back to Amazon's lightning cable for my CarPlay setup. That being said, the only lighting cable I have ever needed to replace was an Amazon Basics cable. It got a lot of abuse being plugged in and unplugged at work. I keep meaning to get a dock for work, but I just have the iPhone laying on my radio and no way to charge it. Not a big deal, since I never get below 40 percent during the day anyway.

I only have problems if the socket fills up with pocket lint and doesn’t allow the connector to seat all the way.

I found spraying the device (e.g., iPhone) socket with canned air to blow out the dust resuscated many lightning cables that I thought were dead... 8^)
Mike

I think part of the problem is the cases we put our iPhones in. On the cables on use with my iPad which these days does not leave my desk, I don't have a problem. But my iPhones in their Otterbox Defender cases are something of a problem the small lighting plug end fits deeply into the case and it is hard to get fingers on just the hard part of the plug. The latest batch of Anker cables is working great.
I think this is a big part of it.
We've got three devices here that use a lightning cable; a 5, a 6(or is it a 6s?), and an ipad mini. The phones are in an Otterbox and a Lifeproof. All three original cables started having issues at that stress point. And no we're not hard on them, or yanking by the cord.
All have been replaced with Anker cables. Way better design at that stress point, IMO.

I never had a problem with any Apple 30-pin connector. But three of four Lightning cables work intermittently or have completely failed. Two of the failed connectors were Apple brand and the third was Insignia. I had some success using DeOxit to clean dirty pins but connectors on iPhone and iPad mini actually feel loose :cool:

Roger

I never had a problem with any Apple 30-pin connector. But three of four Lightning cables work intermittently or have completely failed. Two of the failed connectors were Apple brand and the third was Insignia. I had some success using DeOxit to clean dirty pins but connectors on iPhone and iPad mini actually feel loose :cool:

Roger
I forgot to mention it, but I have the same experience with 30 pin connectors. Even the one that was used with my wife's old 4s in an Otterbox is still working fine.
My kid's school has a whole cart full of ipads that use the 30 pin connector. I'm on parent council, and they're the ones that pay for that kind of stuff. If they happen to vote to upgrade those, or buy another set, I might be inclined to say we need to just budget for another set of cables right away. I can't imagine what classrooms full of kids yanking on those stock Apple lightning cables would look like.

Back
Top Bottom