Linda Ronstadt & The Nelson Riddle Orchestra - What's New

Artist - Linda Ronstadt & The Nelson Riddle Orchestra
Title - What's New
Release - 1983
Label - Elektra
Genre - Jazz, Big Band

I see this vinyl at GW and record shops for $1 all the time. I've had mine for awhile and I've enjoyed it from the first time I've played it.

It's a Big Band/Piano Bar sort of recording reminiscent of the '50s music. Nothing like her pop stuff. Slow, intimate and relaxed. Linda's voice is wonderfully dynamic as usual and Nelson Riddle does a great job with the orchestra. It has a way of transporting you to another time.

:thmbsp:

Attachments

• linda_.jpg
    linda_.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 33
She also released at least one Spanish album as well, I've heard a couple of tracks, and she sounded as lovely as ever!

She also released at least one Spanish album as well, I've heard a couple of tracks, and she sounded as lovely as ever!

I saw something about her doing a Spanish LP. I've yet to hear or find it. I'm sure she did a wonderful job. I also have another LP "Lush Life" with Nelson Riddle that is a little more up tempo and just as wonderful.

418CE1JNGDL._SS500_.jpg

I have that same LP along with "For Sentimental Reasons" that's also with the Nelson Riddle Orchestra. I always enjoy listening to her sing. I guess I'll just have to go grab them both now and give them a spin.

LP Standard Issue Asylum 9 60765-1 12/87

"Canciones de mi Padre"

Tracks- Por Un Amor, Los Laureles, Hay Unos Ojos, La Cigarra, Tu Solo Tu, Y Andale, Rogaciano El Huapaguero, La Charreada, Dos Arbolitos, Corrido Do Cananes, La Barca De Guaymas, La Calandria, El Sol Que Tu Eres

Reveiw from Amazon.com:

"Canciones de mi Padre" is simply more than one singer re-doing Mexican classics. Ronstadt's versions of "Por un Amor," "Tu Solo Tu," and "Y Andale" raise the stakes high: she sings these songs as if they were just written for her beautiful, soaring voice. Crisply and authentically produced by Peter Asher and Ruben Fuentes, this CD is as much a perfect introduction to traditional Mexican rancheras as it is a fine addition to those who mistakenly believe their CD collection is complete. And when Linda hits those high, long notes in "La Charreada," ay! I can feel my abuelita smiling up in heaven!

On a side note, there is a DVD available, she did a tour in support of this album, and if you can't get enough of the LP or CD, check it out!

Rhino Records also released "Mi Jardin Azul: Las Canciones Favoritas" with 20 tracks, and Elektra released "Mas Canciones" with 12 tracks as well.

The only downside to the recording "Canciones De Mi Padre" in my opinion anyways, is Ruben Fuentes over-blown arrangements. These are Folk songs and ballads, and Fuentes tends to have a heavy hand with the strings and trumpets.

If you can get past that, Ms. Rondstadt has a stunning voice.

Carl, if the album to which you first referred is the one I remember, is it called 'Round Midnight? I have a 2-cd set of that, and would love to find it on vinyl.

I will be looking for Canciones de mi Pardre, as well.

I feel the same way about "What's New" A few weeks ago I found a GW copy in Mint condition all the way. Last heard this recording in the 80s. A definite keeper..:thmbsp:

Attachments

• linda R.jpg
    linda R.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 23
Carl, if the album to which you first referred is the one I remember, is it called 'Round Midnight? I have a 2-cd set of that, and would love to find it on vinyl.

I will be looking for Canciones de mi Pardre, as well.

Ernie,

The first one I referred to was "What's New." I donated my last one in a pile of vinyl to the Fest in Sacramento. I can pick one up for you. I know where I can find them. They're usually in excellent condition. The last two still had the plastic shrink wrap on them.

Carl

That would be very generous of you, thank you.

I wonder if the cd set encompasses more than one vinyl release of that recording session?

That would be very generous of you, thank you.

I wonder if the cd set encompasses more than one vinyl release of that recording session?

I did a quick check and your 2 CD set looks like it's from What's New and Lush Life with a couple of other songs.

The 'Round Midnight set has all three LR/Nelson Riddle albums collected together. Downside is the original artwork is missing.

Ah.. that's where those other songs are from. Cool!

She has a CD "Hummin to My Self" . Riddle was gone when she made it but it's Jazz standards and quite good.

Back
Top Bottom