Lindsey Buckingham Sues Fleetwood Mac

I remember talking to someone in the business in an S.L.C. bar in the 1970s, asking how one spends two million bucks on a lame follow-up album to a band's most commercially successful effort ever, and was told that two mil buys a shitload of nose candy.

Last edited:
I remember talking to someone in the business in a bar in the 1970s, asking how one spends two million bucks on a lame follow-up album to a band's most commercially successful effort ever, and was told that two mil buys a shitload of nose candy.

You do have a good point. "Tusk" IMO is a truly terrible album, a poster child for self indulgence. I enjoy "Sara" and a couple of other tracks (the titles of none of which immediately spring to mind), but the rest of it is unlistenable dreck. And I am aware that Tusk was Buckingham's magnum opus, and he was given free reign after the success of "Rumours". All that said, without Buckingham, I wouldn't bother going to see Fleetwood Mac, without even considering the absurd ticket prices they are charging on this tour.

I had the pleasure of meeting Buckingham and Nix in the mid 70s shortly after they joined Fleetwood Mac. They stayed at the Holiday Inn Convention Center just down the street from the civic auditorium where they performed. I was the auditor there and happened to be at the front desk when they checked in. They invited me up to their suite for an after-concert party that night. I already had plans, so I didn't attend.

Hindsight.

Riding high on the success of the self-titled white cover album, troubles would produce the even better follow-up.

The last album made by the real FM was Bare Trees. About 45 years ago. Buckingham/Nick's ushered in the bubblegum era, which turned them corporate and made them rich. Good for them, but not my cup of tea.

The last album made by the real FM was Bare Trees. About 45 years ago. Buckingham/Nick's ushered in the bubblegum era, which turned them corporate and made them rich. Good for them, but not my cup of tea.

Oh come on....why is it when a band works their ass off and achieves success....then try and continue to be successful by catering to what the fans will actually buy, the are considered sell outs? If you think "Fleetwood Mac", "Rumors" and "Tusk" are in any way "bubbelgum" I dont know what to tell you.

The is nothing wrong in creating art that the fans actually want to buy. I am listening to "Dreams" as I write this and shaking my head that anyone thinks there is anything "bubblegum" about the pain shown in this song about breaking up with a lover.

As a fan of Fleetwood Mac since the late 60's and then on thru these the remaining years and lineups. Remembering just how the infusion of new blood took them to the next level with Buckingham Nicks. Doubt very seriously if the fame and it's rewards would of happened if not for them and McVie helping it along.
As to this legal battle, not knowing the full story, just the years of following the band. Will side with Lindsey on this one.

As for myself, can not imagine a concert of the band without Mr Buckingham fingerpicking on a jam!

. . . I am listening to "Dreams" as I write this and shaking my head that anyone thinks there is anything "bubblegum" about the pain shown in this song about breaking up with a lover.

I don't feel any pain listening to that tune. There is nothing inherently wrong with the B&N version of Fleetwood Mac, Buckingham is a fine guitarist, and you can't argue with the commercial success, but the tunes were sweet and light, made for radio. Green, Kirwan, Spencer, and Welch weren't remotely similar.

Oh come on....why is it when a band works their ass off and achieves success....then try and continue to be successful by catering to what the fans will actually buy, the are considered sell outs? If you think "Fleetwood Mac", "Rumors" and "Tusk" are in any way "bubbelgum" I dont know what to tell you.

The is nothing wrong in creating art that the fans actually want to buy. I am listening to "Dreams" as I write this and shaking my head that anyone thinks there is anything "bubblegum" about the pain shown in this song about breaking up with a lover.
I didn't say they were/are sellouts. They just made a conscious decision to go for sales rather than their roots. I get that, no big deal, lots of folks do that. Sure, they worked hard. I doubt there was or is pain in Dreams. There's $$.

I doubt there was or is pain in Dreams.

It was Nick's breakup song to Buckingham.....his was "Go Your Own Way". His was angry, hers was not.

There's $$.

And? You keep bringing up money? Have you ever read about or seen any interviews with Nicks? She hardly writes jingles for Pop Tarts. She writes what she feels. A lot of it is not much good, like many songwriters produce. That a lot of it has been really popular is not a bad thing at all. I have no idea why people like the idea of a starving artist over a successful one. Being poor does not make one's art any better.

I haven't read this whole thing but what about this; I imagine Mick and John own the rights to the name so does that mean they can fire LB? I'm sure they each own the rights to the songs they wrote but is there a owner and boss of the band??

It was Nick's breakup song to Buckingham.....his was "Go Your Own Way". His was angry, hers was not.

And? You keep bringing up money? Have you ever read about or seen any interviews with Nicks? She hardly writes jingles for Pop Tarts. She writes what she feels. A lot of it is not much good, like many songwriters produce. That a lot of it has been really popular is not a bad thing at all. I have no idea why people like the idea of a starving artist over a successful one. Being poor does not make one's art any better.
I see you need the last word, that's fine, but nowhere do you see me lobbying for any artists to starve. Cheers!

I find it odd that people expect Buckingham and Nicks to “stick to the roots” of the original FM songs written by Green and Spencer. Buckingham and Nicks were great song writers in their day and Christine McVie was very good too.

Mick Fleetwood and John McVie were good enough to play with them all. What a rhythm section.

The band was just very talented no matter what era. It’s music,enjoy.

I hear people rag on the B/N era of Fleetwood Mac. I don't get it. They were popular....wrote some killer music......made for entertaining publicity.....beautiful lyrics......and they ALL were genuinely good musicians. Is it ALL good? I don't think so. But some of it is just stellar and it helped define an entire generation.

I've been a huge fan of all of the Fleetwood Mac iterations. They've all been stellar in their own fashion which says volumes about Mr.'s Fleetwood and McVie.

As for the current tour.........yawn.......I'll pass.

Back
Top Bottom