Line Magnetic Audio 216AI integrated amplifier

psyopwak

I have posted this review to audiocircle.com and here..:music:

I am going to make an amature(ish) attempt at reviewing a tube amp I purchased and have been listening to for over a month by Line Magnetic Audio (LM Audio). Mostly I wrote this because I could find no review of LM Audio products anywhere on the net. This amp in my review is the is the LM Audio 216IA integrated amplifier. I have compared it to a Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum, the Cary SLI80, Musical Fidelity 500 watt and 125 watt SS amps, a McCormack DNA-125 with a Leben preamp and a Parasound A21 and P3 combination among some other combinations less noteworthy. My comparisons were not of the a/b type and not scientific. LM Audio also makes speaker drivers. I had the pleasure to listen to one of their top of the line Class A integrated amps feeding into two single driver speakers recently at my audio dealers home. With LM Audio speakers, Devore speakers and my Vandersteen speakers, LM Audio products sounded tremendous for the money spent on them.

First let me say that the LM Audio amplifier is a Chinese product. It is not like the Primaluna line, which is designed in the Netherlands and made in China. The Line Magnetic Audio company is located in Zhuhai , Guangdong Province, China. I had (wanted) and (intended) to like the Cary or the Rogue amplifier, mostly because I wanted to buy an American made product. In the end, the LM Audio piece that my dealer raved about, sounded better. It has a very quality fit and finish, more that one might? expect from a chinese product. The LM Audio 216IA is a KT88 push pull integrated amplifier. It is Ultra linear and triode switchable. 22 watts per channel in triode, 38 watts per channel in ultra linear. Remote controlled. Bias adjustable with built in meter. 4, 8 and 16 ohm output taps. Point to point wiring used throughout. It comes with a tube cage.

For everyone out there listening to music, let’s face it, we like different things. So I will NOT SAY, this product is better or worse than the ones listed above. But I will write out (share) the qualities I enjoy, and how well this $1875 amp did with them.

I like a neutral sounding amp that falls on this side of warm and also analytical. I like to hear everything that my modest front end will produce. I don’t like muddy bass, but tight and fast handling of the lower frequencies. Deep bass and mid bass sound best to me as natural to the instrument being reproduced. The LM Audio 216IA did this better than the other tube integrated amps I listed. Since I listen to Eva Cassidy, Diana Krall, Natalie Merchant and other female singers like them I enjoy midrange that is not harsh or shrill. The midrange on the LM Audio does not tire in any way. It’s very close to what you’s expect to a live concert, and not what you’d expect from a 2K amp. Next up the tonal range is the higher frequencies. This amp produced an airy high that was sweet sounding, but not too high or harsh. The last bit of enjoyment I get from the reproduction of music from audio equipment is how well it can reproduce the timbre of instruments such as upright bass, piano, violin, acoustic guitar, and saxophone. On many listening sessions the LM Audio amp did this very well and the decay of sound from these various tones was long and natural. There just was no coloration of tone that I could detect. Of course, there is a tube sound to the amp. But since LM Audio base most of their products of the Western Electric designs of old, the qualities of sound just might reflect that old design. It does this without grain, but a grace and accuracy that the better designed amps displayed.

Also this amp has great transparancy. I have had Odyssey, McCormack and Parasound amps that did not do as well at lifting off veils of fuzziness like the 216AI did.

Lastly is the dynamic range of the amp. Well this is what I often FEEL is the excitement of the amplifier and it was FELT with the 216AI. This amp really kicks when needed. The version of “Walking on the Moon” by the Yuri Honing Trio has a rim shot that will ring out like a cannon with a good amp. It does this with the LM Audio 216AI.

Well I guess that is my review for better or worse. Once again I have had the pleasure of taking in some good information on forums like this about audio products and have learned much, so I am not saying this amp is BETTER than others. Just for my taste it is a quality product that sounds great at an affordable price. If anyone is interested in these products I can give you the contact for my dealer in Shaker Heights, Ohio who carries this line.

More pics of LM Audio gear with Devore Fidelity speakers...http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2011/10/20/rmaf-2011-devore-lm-audio/

Attachments

• 216AI.jpg
    216AI.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
A dealer that I know very well just took on this line and he has never been a supporter of Chinese audio. If what he tells me is correct this line may be one the best buys in high end audio. I will be making arrangements to go over and have a listen next month. We will be using DeVore speakers, Well Tempered Versalex turntable and a load of great LP's!

Good job being among the first to bring that brand to AK.

What a coincidence! I just received mine this morning. I bought it through a dealer in Beijing (I live in Beijing). I had to wait a while because I wanted one for US power 110-120. I will take it home someday. So far, mine is excellent. BUT mine only has 4 ohm and 8 ohm taps. Pity that, 16 ohm taps would have been nice. Mine was much cheaper. I am guessing due to no import taxes and such for the dealers.

Attachments

• PICT0006.jpg
    PICT0006.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Art K.- I think you are correct, LM Audio is one of the best buys in High end audio (a sleeper) They are a tremendous match to the Devore Speakers. I heard the class A unit with the Devore Fidelity Orangutan O/96 at Don Better Audio in Shaker Heights. It is an outstanding speaker, especially with tubes and vinyl.

Inperson - you have the same amp I picked up. You are REALLY in for a surprise with that amp. I know I was....

Here is a photo of the Orangutan speakers

Attachments

• DEVORE O.jpg
    DEVORE O.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 103
Art K.- I think you are correct, LM Audio is one of the best buys in High end audio (a sleeper) They are a tremendous match to the Devore Speakers. I heard the class A unit with the Devore Fidelity Orangutan O/96 at Don Better Audio in Shaker Heights. It is an outstanding speaker, especially with tubes and vinyl.

Inperson - you have the same amp I picked up. You are REALLY in for a surprise with that amp. I know I was....

So far I am really pleased with it. Did you do any tube rolling?

Yes JJ's upfront and plan to roll NOS RCA cleartops and Brimars in the near future. My dealer stated that he is going to roll some Genalex Gold Lions KT88's and tell me what he thinks before I consider them...

He claims the Chinese tubes that come with the amp are the only weak part of it..that is why the JJ's make such a difference.

I've seen those lovely apes. I owned DeVore speakers when I still had my setup in the main room of my little house. I've downsized for the small room I have now and am enjoying Harbeth speakers. I believe I will be hearing an LM amp with 3xl's next month. Looking forward to that.

I want to find some old kt88's but they seem like big bucks. What is the best new production kt88's out there now?

I would look for one of these...

1. Electro- Harmonix KT88EH matched tubes
2. New Sensor KT88 Gold Lion (a re issue of the famed Genalex Gold Lion KT88 tube)

William

I am in China so I was wondering about the best current production KT88's. Cheap to buy here than in the US for current stuff.

The Gelenex reissues are very good but I have read that some folks like the
Shuguang/Psvane Treasures more. Perhaps start with the small signal tubes?

I looked at the LM amps and they are very nice. I was interested in the LM 218A but it is not available in the USA. :tears: The driver tubes can be EL34,
KT88, 6550 etc. :thmbsp:

Attachments

• LM 218 IA 211.jpg
    LM 218 IA 211.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 91
Les,

That is a nice unit you are looking at. I had thought at first the 216AI would not provide enough power for my 86-87 DB sensitivity speakers. But it does do the job.....quite well and sweetly.

Hi there,
I stumbled across this thread while researching the LM product line. After considering a number of other amps out there, I audtionned and ended up purchasing a LM 211IA EL34. I was impressed with the build quality and more importantly, the sound. Very good value for the $$. Very pure midrange and plenty of power for my purposes.

Ironically, one of the things that impacted my decision in part was the relative lack of information on this product. I'm always a bit leery of magazine-based reviews - especially when the companies are paying for ads in the same issue etc. I ended up going with my ears primarily, and not a bunch of reviews. I'm not saying this is THE way to do it, but I'm happy with what I ended up purchasing - even though my room will likely change the sound somewhat from what I heard in the shop.

At any rate, I'm awaiting the next shipment which is scheduled to arrive in early May along with a set of ASW Cantius 504 speakers (which I also auditionned, paired with the LM). Can't wait for May! I'll be sure to post my thoughts once everything is well broken in.

Will likely roll out the stock tubes from the get-go, as my dealer indicated that these were ok, but could be improved upon quite easily. Maybe try some JJ's in the fronts and for the rear power tubes. I think the amp uses 12xA7's and any EL34 based tubes.

Cheers

crisco,

Congrats I think you will be VERY happy with the amp. The JJ's up front made an impact on mine, the midrange sounded more smooth.

I agree I could not find information on LM Audio and I am glad my dealer called me when he got the line in, and knew I was looking for a sweet tube integrated.

Keeps us posted on the sound and if you roll in some power tubes. Nice selection on the LM Audio piece.:thmbsp:

Hi psyopwak,

Thanks for the welcome. It looks like the front tubes on the 211 are 2x 12ax7's and 2x 12au7's. I'm not sure what your 216 runs, but did you opt for the gold pin and/or hiperformance JJ's ? I'm new to tubes, so I really have little clue as to how to buy / select tubes.
thanks

Look at these preamps by Line Magnetic. Aren't they so cool? I would love to hear from someone who has one of these.

Attachments

• 25Bpreamplifier.jpg
    25Bpreamplifier.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 25Bpreamplifier2.jpg
    25Bpreamplifier2.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 1126preamplifier.jpg
    1126preamplifier.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 1126preamplifier2.jpg
    1126preamplifier2.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 47
I will have to check the boxes of the JJ's but they are NOT gold pins. Dealer installed them before I went to pick up the amp. He tried them and they sounded great. More later..

Back
Top Bottom