Line Magnetic LM 215 CD Player

I did post a somewhat similar query in a different thread, though not for the 215.

For those with the 215, would purchasing a 502 DAC and using it to output the audio produce the same impact as the 515?

And would that not be the case for another brand transport also?

Thanks,
UL

... For those with the 215, would purchasing a 502 DAC and using it to output the audio produce the same impact as the 515?

And would that not be the case for another brand transport also?

Thanks,
UL

I am interested in this question too except that I already have the 502 and I am considering the idea of getting the 215 or the 515. Thanks.

Had this player in the setup for a couple of hours so far. Remarkable doesn't begin to do it justice. It's the least digital (by our stereotyped way of describing digital) sounding player I have heard. Absolutely delicious...and the build quality is stellar.

Truth is that this player, so far, doesn't sound digital or analog. It just sounds like music. That's love at first listen. More to follow and pics as well.

These are first impressions and at some point I will post more in depth observations.

What he said. I was so curious how the LM would differ from my old standby the Rega Apollo. This is my private music room with the Sonneteer Orton, and for now back to the old Rogers LS3/5a + subwoofer. I had been using the Quad 11L Classic which moved to the bedroom.

I won't be going back, but will keep the Apollo for the bedroom with the BrioR, & Quad Classics.
For comparison, I do have an Audiolab 8200cdq in the living room 2 channel HT and music set up.

The LM is clearly the best, as expected, but the Audiolab is not bad and is fine for the busy main area kitchen, dining, living.

Now for better, or should I say, fuller speakers for my room, plus a better turntable, and that room will be set for a long, long time.
Thanks to Art K, Specktre, RGA and Dale at Eugene for giving me the bump to get this room singing.

Last edited:
What he said. I was so curious how the LM would differ from my old standby the Rega Apollo. This is my private music room with the Sonneteer Orton, and for now back to the old Rogers LS3/5a + subwoofer. I had been using the Quad 11L Classic which moved to the bedroom.

I won't be going back, but will keep the Apollo for the bedroom with the BrioR, & Quad Classics.
For comparison, I do have an Audiolab 8200cdq in the living room 2 channel HT and music set up.

The LM is clearly the best, as expected, but the Audiolab is not bad and is fine for the busy main area kitchen, dining, living.

Now for better, or should I say, fuller speakers for my room, plus a better turntable, and that room will be set for a long, long time.
Thanks to Art K, Specktre, RGA and Dale at Eugene for giving me the bump to get this room singing.

:thmbsp:

Line Magnetic LM-515CD Player DAC discounted on ebay. Not that I would deal with that seller.

There has been a LM215 cd on Asylum for a while too.

By the time you paid shipping and fussed with the power supply etc a person could buy from a dealer and get the customer support and advise that make supporting a dealer worthwhile. All LM dealers that I am aware of provide outstanding service.

By the time you paid shipping and fussed with the power supply etc a person could buy from a dealer and get the customer support and advise that make supporting a dealer worthwhile. All LM dealers that I am aware of provide outstanding service.

Agreed. That is why I got the LM215 from our dealer rather than that used one. I gamble on cheap used stuff online but the better gear is best acquired from legit sources.

I didn't even notice the 220 volt part as I was so amused that he ships worldwide but to only 48 of the US.

I acquired a couple extra tubes for the LM cd-215, for spares if I had a failure, but I don't really want to open it up.
NOS Mullard Cv4003 tube, and an unused gold Lion Tube.

Are these good or better than the stock one?

You should pop the top. I actually really like the way the designed it because with most CD players they're such a pain to open up with scres on the sides and sliding the formed sheet metal of an trying to get the thing back on. The 215 has a nifty design.

You should pop the top. I actually really like the way the designed it because with most CD players they're such a pain to open up with scres on the sides and sliding the formed sheet metal of an trying to get the thing back on. The 215 has a nifty design.

That is good to know in case I do need or want to go for it.

I am confused about the tubes.
I just opened the tube box that says "valve elecrtonic CV4003" Made in Gt Britain. from Upacale Audio, CA. on the side is handwritten 3100.
The tube inside is labeled: Genalex, made in Russia 1212, ECC82. I Think it is the wrong tube in the box.

I believe the Line Magnetic tube is 12AU7, ECC82;
The Gold Lion box is labeled Genalex ECC82/B749

I don't even know if it will make enough of a difference. I have not tried changing the mode either.

That is good to know in case I do need or want to go for it.

I am confused about the tubes.
I just opened the tube box that says "valve elecrtonic CV4003" Made in Gt Britain. from Upacale Audio, CA. on the side is handwritten 3100.
The tube inside is labeled: Genalex, made in Russia 1212, ECC82. I Think it is the wrong tube in the box.

I believe the Line Magnetic tube is 12AU7, ECC82;
The Gold Lion box is labeled Genalex ECC82/B749

I don't even know if it will make enough of a difference. I have not tried changing the mode either.

Here ya go KC! This should be of some help.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_cv4003.html

If you wanted a specific tube and got another instead, then Upscale ought to make it right. The Gold Lion tube is a new production tube made at the Reflektor factory in Saratov, Russia. I dont like them...nothing special about those or the new production Mullards....but the Mullard is a tad bit warmer.

Getting to know your tubes can be lots of fun!:D. If the tube is a "Brit tube", its probably a smooth, warm sounding tube, as most counties voice their tubes differently. Most NOS tubes from Great Britain have the same characteristics, just as those from France, Germany, America and some on, all have a certain characteristic. So you will have to find out what sound/Characteristic you like the best.....that's what "tube rolling" is all about! It can be expensive, but as you began to get to know the characteristics, you wont spend as much loot tube rolling because you began to understand what sounds like what and what has the best synergy with your gear.....and with synergy...you know what we say...."if its clicking''....."leave it alone!" If you mess it up, its sometimes hard to get that certain "clicking/synergy" sound back!

And as/if you start going down the tube road....its always wise to catalog your finds on tubes so you can always refer back to them. Its part of the hobby, and part of the fun. Personally, I like German tubes.....transparent, and dynamic!

Last edited:
I tried several different tubes in the 215 and preferred the one that came stock in the unit.

Thank Art, now that you say it I remember that you had posted that. The LM215 that I got new from Eugene HiFi will stay as is, at least for the forseable future.

slippers-on, that info is nice to know and will be helpful as I get to the bottom of the 2d LM tube mystery.

I happened on a used LM215 for sale for the price of a used Rega Apollo. That means I paid 30% of retail, and am the 3d owner of the deck. This is where the 2 spare tubes came from. I will have to look inside to see what tube it is. The Line Magnetic tube 12AU7, ECC82 is in the Gold Lion box, not in use.
Since the valve elecrtonic CV4003 Made in Gt Britain is also not in it's box I can only guess what is in the deck.

In any case, the cdp sounds wonderful in place of the old Apollo and newer Audiolab 8200cdq that I had used in that set up.

Cool...when youook inside,I'd be interested in knowing what tubes in use. I thought some one said LM stocks pretty good NOS tubes?

OK, you are right, simple, just ten 2mm hex head bolts holding the lid on. The tube inside labeled "CV4003", no brand name or mfgr name. It is also labeled KADD/K 82-36. It must be the British made cv4003 that came from the so labeled box. I decided to leave it in for a while until more familiar with the tone.

On closer inspection the above mentioned Genelex Russian made 1212, ECC82 has a Gold Lion painted on the tube in a gold colored outline. I didn't see that before when I looked at the numbers. So now I have it straight.

I really like the LM215 cdp! ...and to find one 70% off is a "score" worth the gamble of being the 3d owner.

Back
Top Bottom