Linn dealer/ knowledge in NYC?

jgordon

Mods - can you delete? I'm not sure how but want to kill this cross post. Thanks.

Hi,

I cross posted this to the tt/tape forum - not sure if that's kosher but I'm anxious to get up and running.

Just joined here - picked up a Sondek LP12 in great shape last week. Started with a Valhalla and an Ittok arm, old Stanton cartridge of unknown hours on it. I'd like someone to check it out and set it up with me/for me depending on how involved they let me get. I'd also like to get opinions on good cartridges for the table. The guys I called that come up as a linn dealer are asking $185 an hour. Which strikes me as high. Are there any places in NYC that might have some knowledge to share without killing my budget?

Also, what do you guys like for cartridges on the LP12? maybe in the $200 range?

Thanks very much.

By all means get out of the city and drive north to Accent on Music --- they are in MtKisco and should be fairly reasonable...In any event they can set up your table as well as anyone if not a bit better.

I find the labor charges levied by authorized Linn dealers are too high for my budget. I've set up my two LP12s myself, and as long as you devote enough time to it, you shouldn't find it too difficult.

I've got a official Linn setup manual for the LP12 that I'll be happy to share; PM me if you are interested in a copy.

As for cartridges, I'm using a Grado Reference Sonata (which is out of your range) but the Grado Prestige Gold is a nice match (around $180 I think).

Back
Top Bottom