Linn Sondek LP12

Unican_Eric

Pioneerious Collecticus
I have a chance to get a Linn Sondek LP12 from a coworker. Its her uncles turntable and he wants to sell it. What am I getting into here? She says its in fair condition.

The Linn is one of the great products of audio history. It is a fine product and historically important, since it, and its manufacturer, Ivor Tiefenbrun (sp), were very important in the rediscovery of listening as the most important test of quality. The Linn redefined what could be expected from records and established the importance of the source as the determinant of ultimate quality.
When it came out the usual notion was that distortion figures were most important thing to pay attention to in electronics, that wow and flutter were the thing that mattered to turntables, and that speakers were the most important part of stereos. Stereophile had been fighting this attitude for years, but with only marginal success. The Linn didn't have as good figures as the average direct drive table, but sounded better to many many serious listeners, and established the hi end in phono reproduction at about the same time that Audio Research was doing the same in electronics, and The Absolute Sound came along to do the PR for the hi end. (Obviously this thumbnail sketch is a gross oversimplification.)
None of which has much to do with whether you want the table. Linns can sound very good, or nothing special. They are fussy -- they need to be set up correctly, and need to be sited carefully. Like almost all suspended subchasis tables they bounce alarmingly when you use the cuing. They don't get up to speed instantly.
But people who like them gush on and on about speed and pacing -- they are good at digging out information and,more important, presenting it coherently so that you can follow the small details in relationship to the whole. There have been many upgrades to the Linn, and new ones sound different than old ones, but all changes are available as retrofits -- not cheap at all, but perhaps worth considering if you get bit by the bug.
The Linn was an expensive turntable, and so the arm attached is probably a very good arm, ditto the cartridge. It possible that the cartridge is a moving coil,and if so you will need a step up transformer or headamp.
Ask your friend to be very careful moving the turntable, or do it yourself. You should remove the platter at the very least, and be gentle. Protect the arm and stylus.
The Vinyl Engine site has a lot of information including manuals and so on. I'd like to hear what you do, and what you think of it.

Ok, Thanks for the input. Now I know that I might be getting in over my head though. This seems like a turntable that I might not be able to afford. I of course would have to inform her of its status in the market and do some looking to see what the prices would be, I assume a good place to start would be ebay finished auctions. I'll let you know what she wants and see if I can afford it.

Eric what you want to do is score this table on the cheap and then sell it to a very local fellow AK'er who would appreciate it. :)

Mike

Would that local AK'er be you Mike ? LOL

The LP12 is a super table. depending on the age, condition, arm and cartridge you may be surprised. Older ones do not command the "huge" money newer ones do. And if it was paired with say the Linn Basik arm you should be able to get a bargain without feeling guilty. Now if it has an Itok arm then the price can start to jump a bit again depending on how old and what series the arm is. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Grumpy

DO NOT LISTEN TO PRO!

The Linn is a very finicky table, and works much better in more southern climes. However, too far south and it once again is unhappy :worried:

The Pittsburgh area has been found to be optimum for this table, and I do believe that is where it should go. :thmbsp:

However, I do believe that Pro could deliver it :yes:

From what I've seen on Ebay (and other places) a LP12 usually
start at about $500 (and that's very low, usually with no mods
done on an older table) and go way up from there.

They're definitely a table worth having though! :thmbsp:

Scott

I'll tell you what I am gonna do. I'll check it out. Give the info here in this thread with the price she wants. If there are any takers here I'll find a way to set up a deal for ya. Is this ok? Now on a different note, she also stated that the stuff he had it paired up with was MacIntosh but she dosent know where that stuff is right now. :cry: This post will probably not be updated till at least Monday when I see here again at work.

Eric if the table is in nice cosmetic shape and works fine, you can tell your co-worker I've got $500 CAN burning a hole in my pocket. The condition of the cartridge is irrelevant.

Mike

I'll make it 510.00 canadian here :lmao:

I showed here this post and she called for the information. she also said she could probably get a pic. Now dont ask me when she will give me the info, Monday the latest for sure. Ill keep in touch.

Geez guys you havent even seen it yet. I am getting a pic sent to me from e-mail and as soon as I get it will be posted. Now for an update. it has a Shure Series III tonearm and a Dynavector cartridge. Whatever that means.

A SME on a linn ? Thats a different combo. Wouldnt have been my 1st choice. Most likely the dynavector is pretty ancient and due for replacement.

Back
Top Bottom