Linux-using idiot here.....

Agnula

...so I thought I'd proslytize a little. I'm a confirmed Linux user; I find it easier and MUCH less expensive to use than any proprietary Operating System. As an example, one of the hot new items that are sweeping the nation are MP3 players; I like music, but I'll be damned if I'm willing to pay what Apple or MicroSoft-based systems cost, so I decided to play around with my laptop (a 1996 vintage Toshiba Satellite Pro 440 CDT; Pentium 133 Mhz, 80 Mb of Ram, 6 Gb. hard drive). It has Libranet Linux v.2.8.1, a Debian Sarge based distro, running on it; it's slow, but ALL the applications work, it has a nice GUI, and it DOES NOT CRASH....EVER!! Just as an aside, a buddy gave me this machine; I added some RAM and put a larger hard drive in. I've been messing with the idea of setting up a dedicated music server to store my 700+ CD collection in; I figured I could connect it to my home system and have a nice little jukebox setup; I have a Dual-pentium II server I paid $75.00 for just sitting around, and I have all the software I need to rip and encode my CD collection as either MP3's or Ogg Vorbis encoded files, so I did about 25 CD's a while back; yesterday, I got my whole LAN (Local-Area Network) up and running, so I connected my laptop to the server and copied a bunch of MP3's onto my laptop, just to see how well things worked. Now I've got a whole bunch of music stored on a completely portable computer that I can connect to my (or someone else's) home audio sytem. Total investment: LESS than $100.00, and I can configure the system with 10 different MP3 players; I just LOVE Linux!! :thmbsp:

I think I can solve that problem in my case...

Agnula said:
...so I thought I'd proslytize a little. I'm a confirmed Linux user; I find it easier and MUCH less expensive to use than any proprietary Operating System. As an example, one of the hot new items that are sweeping the nation are MP3 players; I like music, but I'll be damned if I'm willing to pay what Apple or MicroSoft-based systems cost, so I decided to play around with my laptop (a 1996 vintage Toshiba Satellite Pro 440 CDT; Pentium 133 Mhz, 80 Mb of Ram, 6 Gb. hard drive). It has Libranet Linux v.2.8.1, a Debian Sarge based distro, running on it; it's slow, but ALL the applications work, it has a nice GUI, and it DOES NOT CRASH....EVER!! Just as an aside, a buddy gave me this machine; I added some RAM and put a larger hard drive in. I've been messing with the idea of setting up a dedicated music server to store my 700+ CD collection in; I figured I could connect it to my home system and have a nice little jukebox setup; I have a Dual-pentium II server I paid $75.00 for just sitting around, and I have all the software I need to rip and encode my CD collection as either MP3's or Ogg Vorbis encoded files, so I did about 25 CD's a while back; yesterday, I got my whole LAN (Local-Area Network) up and running, so I connected my laptop to the server and copied a bunch of MP3's onto my laptop, just to see how well things worked. Now I've got a whole bunch of music stored on a completely portable computer that I can connect to my (or someone else's) home audio sytem. Total investment: LESS than $100.00, and I can configure the system with 10 different MP3 players; I just LOVE Linux!! :thmbsp:

ASUS P4S800--Pentium (r) 4 family, 1.3-3.2+ GHz supports 800MHz front side bus. Something about transferring 2 GB/second. Built-in BIOS crash protection. Opens and handles several audio and/or video formats WITHOUT a browser. 5.1 channel supported onboard. I think it will use DDR 400 to 2GB. No video or NIC built-in but one ISA slot will let me free the PCI for what I need (more USB).

Cost new about 70 bucks, I have it used. All I need is a CPU. Linux is nice, but I hated DOS so won't deal with Linux until I really need to. CDs are out there as are cassettes and LPs and I don't like dealing with copy management thingees. But I think you are doing a great job.

asynchronousman said:
ASUS P4S800--Pentium (r) 4 family, 1.3-3.2+ GHz supports 800MHz front side bus. Something about transferring 2 GB/second. Built-in BIOS crash protection. Opens and handles several audio and/or video formats WITHOUT a browser. 5.1 channel supported onboard. I think it will use DDR 400 to 2GB. No video or NIC built-in but one ISA slot will let me free the PCI for what I need (more USB).

Cost new about 70 bucks, I have it used. All I need is a CPU. Linux is nice, but I hated DOS so won't deal with Linux until I really need to. CDs are out there as are cassettes and LPs and I don't like dealing with copy management thingees. But I think you are doing a great job.
I VERY rarely use the CLI; Linux has matured to a point where it doesn't require everything to be configured at the command line; if you've got a high-speed internet connection, do a Google-search for Agnula/DiMuDi; it's a live CD download; a complete Debian O.S. on a CD that doesn't have to be installed, it runs off the CD, believe me, it really does; when you log out, your system reboots and you can't even tell that you had Debian running on it. Agnula/DiMuDi is an audio-specific O.S.; mixers, recorders, MIDI's, you name it, it's there, and it's 100% FREE. :thmbsp:

That's all funky, except...

1) My computer uses Award Modular 4.51 PG and Award Bios Extension 1.0 and that wouldn't be a problem but...

2)It is a Legacy V board for PC100 cartridge (P2/Celeron), with a Legacy V secondary BIOS. Herein lies the problem. All attempts to upgrade the BIOS ultimately FAIL due to the dual BIOS situation. Overlay spit out like a 2 yo who hates strained carrots and ONTRACK was useless.

3)The result is that I cannot use more than a 2 GB HD on any drive letter as it won't see past and the drive will eventually fail altogether.

4)CD-ROM failed 3 daze ago and pulled IDE2 and the computer down, which I will hopefully remedy today. Normally I have 1.2, 1.0 GB and now missing 850 MB

5)The burner is at the shop in the new computer's chassis.

6)Patching this together is like battling a dying automobile.

Lack of CD-ROM led me to change from Norton (the trial wouldn't install on D: at all) to AVG 3.0 free by Grisoft because I was so low on C: drivespace that Norton on C: wouldn't function. Windows baggage clogs a drive too quickly and I'm always clearing the cache.

The next HD is about 13 GB. If my A7V333 had not fallen off a counter at a repair shop I'd still have RAID with onboard IDE-type connections at 1.0 GHz. I saved and built 850 Duron and the power supply died and took the board with it during setup. I've been at it since December and must ask, "Where's the MONEY? Show me the money!" I've got 400-500 into all this and where I had parts used them well.

Do take care.
Steven

Last edited:
asynchronousman said:
1) My computer uses Award Modular 4.51 PG and Award Bios Extension 1.0 and that wouldn't be a problem but...

2)It is a Legacy V board for PC100 cartridge (P2/Celeron), with a Legacy V secondary BIOS. Herein lies the problem. All attempts to upgrade the BIOS ultimately FAIL due to the dual BIOS situation. Overlay spit out like a 2 yo who hates strained carrots and ONTRACK was useless.

3)The result is that I cannot use more than a 2 GB HD on any drive letter as it won't see past and the drive will eventually fail altogether.

4)CD-ROM failed 3 daze ago and pulled IDE2 and the computer down, which I will hopefully remedy today. Normally I have 1.2, 1.0 GB and now missing 850 MB

5)The burner is at the shop in the new computer's chassis.

6)Patching this together is like battling a dying automobile.

Lack of CD-ROM led me to change from Norton (the trial wouldn't install on D: at all) to AVG 3.0 free by Grisoft because I was so low on C: drivespace that Norton on C: wouldn't function. Windows baggage clogs a drive too quickly and I'm always clearing the cache.

The next HD is about 13 GB. If my A7V333 had not fallen off a counter at a repair shop I'd still have RAID with onboard IDE-type connections at 1.0 GHz. I saved and built 850 Duron and the power supply died and took the board with it during setup. I've been at it since December and must ask, "Where's the MONEY? Show me the money!" I've got 400-500 into all this and where I had parts used them well.

Do take care.
Steven

You have my sympathy; I've been through that type of crap; all you can do is try to keep from killing somebody....frustration is EVIL. Good Luck!!
:banana:

I'm not frustrated...

only delayed. I should have a 4-500 MHz something ready by tomorrow...the "good" one will happen later.

My motto is: "If I'm dead, there's a good chance it won't get done, but give me a couple of days and we'll see".

Steven :yes: :no:
I've been at this since 1979.

Agnula-

Good to see another Linux user here! Ive been running Mandrake 9.1 since it came out in a dual boot w/ XP (separate drives). I agree on the CLI, as setting it up for the first time was faster and just as easy as setting up XP from a new install. I only had to edit a config file to get my scroll mouse to work and a few changes for the nvidia driver. I'd say 99% was configured on its own. Looking forward to mandrake 10.1 when its released.

-j

jamesgf said:
Agnula-

Good to see another Linux user here! Ive been running Mandrake 9.1 since it came out in a dual boot w/ XP (separate drives). I agree on the CLI, as setting it up for the first time was faster and just as easy as setting up XP from a new install. I only had to edit a config file to get my scroll mouse to work and a few changes for the nvidia driver. I'd say 99% was configured on its own. Looking forward to mandrake 10.1 when its released.

-j
My own personal preference is a Debian-based distribution; I used "Pure" Debian for a while; stable as a rock, but a lot of bleeding-edge app's weren't available, so I've been using Libranet 2.8.1, a VERY nice distro that I would reccommend to anybody. I MAY make a change though, there's a new distro called Ubuntu Linux; everything I've seen about it says it's the next step toward completely free software, plus, it's Debian-based. The developers are being nice enough to send me 10 copies of the installation CD's; if anyone would like one, just PM me; first come, first served; of course, I'll keep an ISO on my box so I can burn more copies, but I'll wait until I need to make a few copies, so ther might be a delay. :thmbsp:

My first distro was a knoppix CD, which i then installed to my HD (gives you debian unstable). Thought it worked excellent. After reading some mandrake reviews i figured id give it a try. Has worked great and even got my wife to switch from XP.

-j

Back
Top Bottom