List of Absurd Prices for Items - Fun thread for obviously enthusiastic expectations

I bought a pro polaroid camera for $5 worth about 150-200
Used it
Bought into a different related system
Kept the polaroid for my collection

5 years later polaroid goes belly up and a demand is created

I list it on a photo site for 400 and people say its preposterous
I say im only willing to part with it for that.
I tell them itll be 600 on ebay

It sells for that 600

I noticed the prices of certain vhs tapes a while ago
I was sick of waiting for some titles to show up on dvd in the thrifts and the vhs were easy finds
Pick up the vhs
Pick up a vhs
Cant get picture through to the tv
Give up
Two dvds of most wanted title show up
E. T.

I imagined the unknown vhs treasures lurking in the kids sections
But thats just beneath me

Wow, that is surely over the top.

That link will expire at some point, here is a screen capture.
Safari.jpg

hello
there was early rumor
that the outer sleeve illustrator for the little mermaid
in a rather bizarre frame of mind and to prove he could
put a "phalific" design on the cover thy say the one castle tower looks like a woody
some to have escaped to sale the rest recalled and destroyed
I don't know if its true or not
just rememberin
have a good 1

I've been looking to replace my VG copy of "Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo" with a better copy. I've got a NM plastic clamshell, but my tape has some peeling on the label. And the FBI anti-piracy warning at the beginning shows a bit of static. Maybe $25 is a good price.
;)

Am I missing something here? In general, EMI speakers do not command a lot, there are a few exceptions, but I don't see that these are one of them. Thoughts on them being a $1200 value? I see they are also listed on eBay. At best, I think a high valuation may be around $300, but maybe there are more EMI collectors out there than I realize.

LittleSnapper.jpg

Lucky to get 25 cents for VHS tapes these days. Heck, people are unloading their CDs and DVDs now. :dunno:

A few years back there was some wild action on VHS tapes at local auctions. I saw boxes of them get up into the high $100s with multiple bidders. After seeing that a couple times I googled and came up with Disney Black Diamond VHS. I still can't tell if it's interweb hype or reality but I do keep my eyes peeled for this one -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Beauty-And-The-Beast-VHS-Black-Diamond-Classic-Walt-Disney-1992-RARE/331874339217?epid=2172137803&hash=item4d45408991:g:fzAAAOSwbYZXVPVI

:yikes:

Count me as another keeping an eye out for them now. Wow! Even if untrue, I'd get one just for the conversation piece alone, I'll print a copy of that auction and post it on the wall with the tape.

Sometimes an especially pristine set of EMI DLS-529 will get near there. Sometimes, like when perfect, original boxes, manuals, as new, etc. but that's rare.

Yes, I can see if truly a mint set with all original paperwork, etc., it is possible for such high valuations, but I just don't see this one being the case. It seems moreso that the seller saw a single ASKING price at this level and feels that is the true valuation. Maybe at some point they will change it to an auction and we will find out what buyers really are willing to pay.

If the black diamond copies are so rare then why are there so many other black diamond tapes listed for sale? I might expect a couple but there are many listed as being black diamond. Doesn't make them look so extremely rare. Just saying.

I found this amusing a few days ago. I can understand there might be a few vcr's that have a good value but this isnt one of them

://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/ele/d/sylvania-video-cassette/6444417981.html
Screenshot_2018-01-10-18-33-31.png

Safari.jpg

So the speakers are worth at least a grand and the receiver is worth $479, but TOGETHER they are worth $2,000! :idea:

Last edited:
How about this !

index.php

Back
Top Bottom