List Some Newer Receivers From 1996 to 2008 With Phono Preamp??

DJboutit

List some decent stereo receiver from the from 1996 to 2008 brand and model # with phono preamp I should be able to get for $50 to $115 used I do not need any video hookups??

Last edited:
Not as new as you're asking for, but I have found early 90's Denon DRA 635R, 545R to be dirt cheap and sound surprisingly good.

Friend of mine, downsizing, gave me a Yahama V701 receiver. Has the phono input, tape mon, tuner, CD, & TV inputs. AM/FM. Knobs for basic controls, and a remote to boot. Does some surround sound effects but a pretty basic receiver and Yamaha seems to be a pretty decent name. Should find one for a pretty low price. Nothing real fancy though. Phono input 2.5mV at 47k ohms.

What about Kenwood VR 406 or 407 only difference is the 407 has a aux inputsm on the back and a second knob on the front do I really need aux??

I have narrowed it down to one of these Kenwood VR 407 V6030D V7030D V8030D which 2 are the best??

Any others?? I have narrowed it down to these

Kenwood VR406 VR407 V6030D V7030D V8030D

Pioneer VSX456 VSX D506S VSX D507S

Sony STR DE845 STR DE945 STR DE885 STR DE 1075

Which 4 of these are the best?? They all have a phono preamp and I should be able to get one for $50 to $115

Pioneer Elite

Onkyo

I'm extremely happy with the Pioneer Elite I picked up. I wanted decent sound for a small room/third system with a remote. Best sounding $100 I've spent. Running ELAC B6.2 and a JBL 10" sub.

I am looking for something mid level from like 1996 to 2004 or 2006 I do not even any thing really high end just the best I can get that does not cost $$$. That is why I am looking at these Kenwood Pioneer and Sony models from 1998 to 2002.

Onkyo TX-8211 (55wpc), TX-8511 (100wpc) and other models in that range have a phono pre and sound very nice IMO. You do need the remote for the sleep function but everything else works from the front panel on the 8211 at least.

I will be on the look about for a Yamaha RX-777 the Kenwoods and Pioneers I posted in post #10

You might find an NAD C-740 within your budget. Good receiver. I found one myself several years ago - in your city, of all places. I highly recommend you visit the Trader City flea market there to the west side of town. I've forgotten the dealer's name, but he always had a lot of good gear, and his prices were reasonable. There were other folks there selling audio, too, but he had the most, and the best. All wired up for testing/auditioning. That's where I found the NAD, which I gifted to a sister-in-law I really like about a year or so ago, after having used it for several years myself. It's still going strong, I hear.

Oh, and he also sold some very pricey used gear, too, so don't be intimidated by the high-dollar stuff. I'd just be frank, tell him my budget and ask if he can help.

Last edited:
I have been there a few times the times I have been his prices were kinda high looks like he dropped the prices on everything some.

I have been there a few times the times I have been his prices were kinda high looks like he dropped the prices on everything some.

Did you talk much with the owner? In the past he's not been great at updating his website regularly. Often has stuff not pictured. The NAD I bought had a couple little blemishes, and was missing a remote control. It certainly wasn't even listed on his website. I told him what I wanted to spend and he showed me two or three options, but the NAD was a no-brainer for me at $125. Later got a remote, which worked perfectly. His ask started higher than that, but by letting him know my limited budget, there was no dickering, he just dropped the price to my range.

Back
Top Bottom