List the top 3 best sounding speakers you have ever owned.

Have to say my Cornscala's hooked up to a HH Scott 272 amp. Super duper happy! I also heard Klipschorn's and find them outstanding but I'm dying to hear a pair of Klipsch Jubilees, the last and greatest project of Paul Klipsch.

Top 3 I have owned:

JBL 250TI
Quad 988
Infinity RS-4.5

Honorable Mention:

Martin Logan CLS/Kinergetics SW-800
Magneplanar Tympani IVa
Snell Type B
IMF RSPM Mark IV

I haven't made any speaker changes in the last 3 years but if I posted this today, I'd tweak it a bit:

Top 3 I've owned:
Martin Logan CLS/Kinergetics SW-800
Quad 988
JBL 250Ti

Honorable mention:
Infinity RS-4.5
Magneplanar Tympani IVa
IMF RSPM Mark IV

Never could really afford the "Upper Crust" of speakers, (new anyway), but here is my list, in no order...
Altec 874a Segovia's (Ebay)
Large Utility Cabinet Advents (bought new)
Bowers and Wilkins DM5's (Goodwill)

There is no "best." Too many audiophiles clutter threads because they refuse to acknowledge that there is no "best." There is only pricier.

There is no "best." Too many audiophiles clutter threads because they refuse to acknowledge that there is no "best." There is only pricier.

I disagree, but to each his own. The OP asks for the "best you have owned" and price/value doesn't necessarily rule the roost in my experience as these modest Tannoy 611s match up quite well to my Altec A7s at usual listening volumes. And both are current in my main system.

Tough call. 1. JBL 4343b 2. Altec Model 19 3. JBL L300 4. Dahlquist DQ10 5. JBL L100t3 6. ESS AMT3 7. OK, I'll stop at 6.

Full range favorites -
1. Amrita Amrit Jovian Pillars
2. VMPS RM40
3. Silverline LaFolia

Bookshelf favorites -
1. ACI Sapphire
2. Eminent Technology
3. Speakerart Clef

Last edited:
1. Rogers JR-149's (powered from Marantz Integrated Amp)
2. Gale GS 401-C (GAS Ampzilla II)
3. Custom built 2-way Monitors (Acoustic suspension with Vifa drivers, used with Dynaudio Sub - Raven Blackhawk LE Integrated Tube Amp)

Thread is now in excel
not tidied up or organised yet
the wisdom of crowds should produce an intersting result
seems I cannot upload the file :( - unless someone has an idea

Haven't owned any since the mid 80's, but:

1. Cerwin Vega S2
2. Cerwin Vega 2000-15
3. JBL L150 (replaced a set of L112's)

L150's with the older tweeter or the L150A's with the metal dome tweeter, just like the L112's?

I've got L112'S & L150A (very similar) , and have always wondered about the older L150's, since I love my L100's and I think it's the same tweeter.

L150's with the older tweeter or the L150A's with the metal dome tweeter, just like the L112's?

I've got L112'S & L150A (very similar) , and have always wondered about the older L150's, since I love my L100's and I think it's the same tweeter.

You know I do believe it was the A's, as they did have the same looking tweeter as the 112's and I bought them in mid 1983.

Don't kid yourself if you think sheer numbers of the most popular speaker equates to the best speakers. Mob mentality never is a pretty thing.

Don't kid yourself if you think sheer numbers of the most popular speaker equates to the best speakers. Mob mentality never is a pretty thing.
Totally agree!
It is more to do with the perception of ranking that is where I'm coming from
the data may have some consistency - but I have not yet done the work on it

I thought the L150s had the 033 dome tweeter like in the L110.

1) Hawthorne Audio Sterling Trios in PAP baffles
2) JBL 4430 monitors
3) Legacy Audio Studio HD monitors w/ SVS sub
4) Cerwin Vega 2000-15

Runners up:

Shahinian Arcs
Tannoy System 12 monitors

Back
Top Bottom