List the top 3 best sounding speakers you have ever owned.

With preference in a 14x16, tile floor, popcorn top.
Dynaco 40XL..................All they do is sound good all day and all night. They can't do anything else.
Rectiliner lll High Boys. ..Like the Dynaco except it can mess up if you feed it wrong, but rare.
KLH model 5. ................The capable wild child by comparison, you just never know with this one.

The following with no preference are great but can and do consistently miss behave in one way or another by not doing something, or doing something wrong.
Fisher XP-10..............I'll have a little tingle with my organ please.
Pioneer cs-99a ..........Very fickle speaker.
Wharfedale W70D......A touch tame
Kenwood KL- 777A ...Stop with the drums already,,,, but oh those drums, give me more.
Mach-One .................So close, wrong woofer and crossover from the start I suspect.
OLA Advent................Just won't let go of that bottom mid.

BUT- run them all together and they can do anything and everything right........ Strange.
Gota figure this out before I can go forward with the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ on just a new pair

Last edited:
Restored and upgraded OLA (Advents)
Vandersteen 2ce Sig
Restored and Upgraded BA T830 with Sub

The Vandys are gone and the Advents just keep finding a way back in the system oven the past 10 years.

Restored and upgraded OLA (Advents)
Vandersteen 2ce Sig
Restored and Upgraded BA T830 with Sub

The Vandys are gone and the Advents just keep finding a way back in the system oven the past 10 years.
Upgraded OLAs? Yes, that's what I need.
Might there be a thread on what you did and your results?

I have learned over the past few years that was sounds "best" is something I cannot pin down. I like the sound of all of my speakers so I rotate almost all of them every few months or so. The only ones I dont rotate are my Imperial 6s because they are in the front room and the synergy with the 2220B is perfect and no other speakers sound close to the Imperials with it.

The bedroom systems get rotated all the time. Every time I change speakers I am entertained by the difference in sound. I pulled my Small Advents last week in favor of Nova 6s and spent some time dialing them in with the Sony STR 5800 and was amazed at how well the compete with the SAs. They need just a bit of EQ and they can come damn close to the bass of the SAs and blow them away in the top end. Last night I changed out my Sansui SP70s for Wharfedale W60s. At first I thought they seemed too laid back compared to the two way Sansuis but after three hours of listening I was in love all over again.

#1 JBL L300 Summits, #2 Ohm Walsh 3, #3 Nobis 3T's. Still have the Ohm's but stupidly sold the JBL's and gave the Nobis to a friend.

1. Technics SB 7000A
2. OLA with Econowave top end
3. JBL- L46
4. Frankenspeakers with Klipsch 12" woofers in 1.5 cu ft boxes and dual Piezo horns, no crossovers.

An update, not in order of preference, for now. :D
ADS 910's
Magnepan SMG's freshly restored.
AR 12's fully restored

Back
Top Bottom