Listen to your Father!

My dad gave me one good piece of advice in my life. When I started playing violin he suggested the guitar instead. Since all of the other advice he ever gave me was dead wrong I of course ignored it and never became a rock star:(

The worst piece of advice he ever gave me was to blow off my scholarship and enlist in the military instead. Thank god I didn't follow it... No offense to those who served but I wouldn't have lasted a month.

During one of the Cold War flashpoints my dad went back into the Navy and got a quick commission as an officer. The Ruskies backed down but my dad still had to do six years. Later on I did a typical four year peacetime enlistment. My dad used to say "There's nothing wrong with a job you can quit". It's true - if you're allowed to quit and you make the decision to stay then don't bitch.

Then there was the proverbial warning at we all got: "If she's good enough to bed; she's good enough to wed". THAT made a huge difference in many a guy's POV back in the 60's. Least it did in the small towns.

Q

"If you don't like it around here Join The Navy !". That was easy to deal with - just start making noises like you ARE gonna join the Navy. :D

"The bigger the crowd, the lower the IQ."

"If you find yourself doing what everyone else is doing, look again at what you are doing to make sure it's what you want to do."

"You don't hate him, you just don't know him. If you get to know him, you will understand why he acts the way he does."

"The bigger the crowd, the lower the IQ."

"If you find yourself doing what everyone else is doing, look again at what you are doing to make sure it's what you want to do."

"You don't hate him, you just don't know him. If you get to know him, you will understand why he acts the way he does."

That last one describes my father, he confused and irritated people that loved him.

He once admitted that only two people could "keep up with him" and he was speaking about his plans and actions, mentally. I was one of those people, and I know the other and it was because we knew him and understood who he was.

Most of his sayings were ancient cliche that are so obsolete I still don't know where he picked them up. He was limited to back water local influence only.

He was smart but I'm not sure about wise.

When questioned about why we were "fixing" something half assed, the reply was "Shut up and put it on there". The fix never worked.

Any other question about a plan usually got the answer "Just you never mind." Most plans failed.

He had drive but I still don't understand the direction much.

He wasn't mean or stupid by any measure but what the hell he was thinking some times sure was odd.

When my dad would complain about something my mom would tell him if he didn't have anything nice to say to not say anything. He would wait a minute and say to my mom, "for a fat girl you sure don't sweat very much."

When my dad would complain about something my mom would tell him if he didn't have anything nice to say to not say anything. He would wait a minute and say to my mom, "for a fat girl you sure don't sweat very much."

I would think that was justifiable homicide back back then. Your dad was a brave man! :)

Q

"You need to turn the air conditioner off! And don't forget the ceiling fan!" He calls out as he heads to bead.

More recently, I was discussing some of the problems of aging with my dad ...

Me: Yeah, it's a real drag -- I have to get up and take a leak two, sometimes three times a night now.

Dad: Count yourself lucky. My bladder's waking me up four or five times a night.

Me (being clever): Well, at least it's still waking you up!

Dad (color drained from face, very severe expression): That's NOT funny. I live in mortal fear of the night THAT happens!

Back
Top Bottom