Listening at Bobins08

sturgus

Was invited to fellow member @bobins08 for a session. Really had a good time.
Bob just want to say thanks for the invite. I really enjoyed the sound of your system. The changes you made have made a nice improvement. I am impressed with the Stanton but I really like the sound of the Audio Technica 35. As always the Grado does it's thing. I meant to ask you about the Nagaoka but we just got too involved in the music. Maybe next time I will get to hear it. The Musical Design 150 amp is kicking some butt. It has added some oomph and sounds more fluid than the Hafler. That Dusty in Memphis is on the to buy list. I also have to get that Cassandra Wilson, and the Miles Jazz Tracks. Once again thanks for the invite and now you have to come check out the DQ-10's before I get rid of them.
Thanks
Sturgus

Yes, that was fun. Glad you liked the changes. Better amp and better cables. I still need to work the room treatments after I paint. You forgot to add the new Coltrane to your list. Don’t forget that one!

@sturgus brought over a Graham Slee phono stage that we compared to my custom Musical Concepts tube preamp. The consensus we came to was the Graham Slee has a wider sound stage and high a bit more extended high end. My preamp has a more 3D and deeper soundstage, blacker background, and more neutral overall. Like the great guy that he is, Sturgus left the Graham Slee over so I can listen more.

It’s great to have another audiophile friend in town to share the hobby with. Anyone else out there have an audiophile friend or in an audio group?

We have a small group that gets together occasionally. Used to be a few more of us and a monthly thing in the listening months but now it is more whenever someone wants to drop by. Mark ordered from Mouser and got some parts for me and came over with his neighbor as we listened to a couple tube amps, MC225 a great amp and a pair of Luxmans, even better, written up in top performers.

Using another members tonearm and cartridge on my TD-125, he brought over just the board and arm/cartridge for a Feickert alignment when I had the tools on loan from another member of our group.

What is interesting is folks that think us swapping gear when they come here, Mark says, I'll always have the cables to hook whatever up, are nuts, can't you just get a good rig and listen? Nope, there is something better and we get to hear it. Thain's old tube gear is one listening opportunity that folks remember as he does a nice job of making old Sherwood and Bogen units sound good with his repairs.

Oh @sturgis, what is replacing the DQ-10s? I'd probably overdrive the Merlins. If that is the speaker how does it compare to those dated DQs?

We have a small group that gets together occasionally. Used to be a few more of us and a monthly thing in the listening months but now it is more whenever someone wants to drop by. Mark ordered from Mouser and got some parts for me and came over with his neighbor as we listened to a couple tube amps, MC225 a great amp and a pair of Luxmans, even better, written up in top performers.

Using another members tonearm and cartridge on my TD-125, he brought over just the board and arm/cartridge for a Feickert alignment when I had the tools on loan from another member of our group.

What is interesting is folks that think us swapping gear when they come here, Mark says, I'll always have the cables to hook whatever up, are nuts, can't you just get a good rig and listen? Nope, there is something better and we get to hear it. Thain's old tube gear is one listening opportunity that folks remember as he does a nice job of making old Sherwood and Bogen units sound good with his repairs.

Oh @sturgis, what is replacing the DQ-10s? I'd probably overdrive the Merlins. If that is the speaker how does it compare to those dated DQs?

Having an audiophile friends helps you to hear and try new equipment. I have a tube preamp and @sturgus brought over tons of tubes to try. He even gave me a volume pot to try. Of course, you have to be patient and methodical when tube rolling or doing any upgrade. Different is not always better.

I’ll be heading over to hear @sturgus restored DQ10’s. His Merlin’s are great too but you can’t keep it all. Someone will get a great deal when h3 lets them go.

Right now I’m enjoying his Graham Slee Era Gold. Nice phono stage.

@Blue Shadow Yeah I will be keeping my Merlins they are just a better sounding speaker. I love the DQ-10's they are the speaker that first introduced me to much better sound. The pair that I have has the JVC ribbon tweeter mod and some updated wiring. I will say that they are a lot of fun to listen to. I have the whole system hooked up, 2 of the DQ-1 subs and the Lp-1 electronic crossover. The funny thing is was introduced to the Dalquist in the late 70's driven by GAS gear and the Kenwood mono gear. I couldn't afford any of it but the owner of the store would send me to get some cheap beer and after closing we would sit for hours just listening. 20 something years later I bought my Merlins and Aronov amps from the same gentleman. I guess it paid off for him in the long run. If I had a place to keep them I would. Since I don't maybe I can give some else a chance to hear what I heard those many years ago. It changed my life for the better.

Back
Top Bottom