Listening impressions of a Marantz 1030

tlgibbs

The 1030 was the entry level integrated amp in the early 70's for Marantz. Not powerful at 15W / channel, but very stylish, IMO. I have paired it with a set of Altec Bolero's which are pretty efficient at approximately 94db. The sound is very nice. Great imaging from the Bolero's. Bass is a little thin, as expected because of the low power, but very smooth and balanced, overall a really nice combination. I can listen to this setup for hours on end. To me it's kind of like discovering the joys of driving a low powered but extremely well balanced sports car. I like the package so much that I found another example of the 1030 which has a set of main in / pre out jacks on the back. This is an unusual feature AFAIK. Possibly added at the end of the production run. The 2nd 1030 has not arrived yet, but I look forward to adding it to the family. The pre out will give me the option of adding a power amp when I find a nice example of the same vintage. I also have a minty 115B tuner on it's way. I'll post some pics when everything arrives.

The lower powered Marantz equipment can still be found relatively inexpensively and I find it quite satisfying to listen to in applications where you don't need to blast the roof off! :thmbsp:

Great job on finding the 1030, I have not seen the pre out option on one before. That really opens up for some more options, PA or EQ. I agree with you on the low power units, I have several around the house, bedroom and work study. My main system has a little more juice though, but for less than 50 dollars there are many great units out for the taking.

Nice photos and website Renaud. Boy, those French, they have a different word for everything!:lmao: (apology to Steve Martin)

A work around can be had by running a quarter inch plug out of the headphone jack and splitting the signal into two rca jacks to plug into another amplifier, but this created a hum in my speakers that I did not like. I'm sure there is an electronic explanation for this with the headphone signal versus the pre-out signal. The cord I used was from the rat shack, so maybe a better quality shielded cord would yield better results, but I doubt it. :thumbsdn:

tlgibbs,
I've done that too, with the same result.
When I get some time, I'm going to rewire the tape out jacks that I never use as pre out jacks.
I just can't bear the thought of drilling holes in the back panel.

Tom

I just came across a 1030 in a pawn shop, and got it for $10! It is one with the pre out/ main in, and interestingly it also has a power toggle switch instead of the push-button. Not sure if this was an aftermarket add-on, but if so whoever did it did a very professional job, as it actually has the "On" and "Off" wording on either side of the switch, scripted on the faceplate itself.

Attachments

• IMG_8439.jpg
    IMG_8439.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 752
  • IMG_8440.jpg
    IMG_8440.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 633
Argh! A friend of mine in the wholesale district has a 1030 sitting there. I noticed it just two days ago, but didn't bother looking too closely. Now, thanks to this thread, I'll have to go back see if it has the pre-out/main in jumpers, and check if it has a toggle on/off switch. If it does, then I'll have to talk myself out of it, again ... or into it... or out of it... Gee, thanks, guys! :D

Seriously, it's nice to see a thread about the neglected baby of that amp family! :thmbsp: The sexier 1060 gets all the attention, but the little baby brother (sister?) isn't all that bad, either.

I have a 1030 - and it has the pre out/main in - facility, and it is serial #54473
Sold originally in Denmark.
For the time being I'm restoring it and it will be just fine within a month or so.
regards
Freddy

Has anyone used and kept using their 1030 as a preamp? I have one that also has the preamp outs on the back.

I have a friend who manages an apartment complex with mostly elderly residents. One of the tenants was "throwing out some old junk" and my friend Bill, remembering that I was into stereo gear, put it in his trunk rather than in the dumpster. He said "I have a record player and amp for you". The table turned out to be a low end Garrard of no particular note, but the amp is a 1030 just like the one in post #10. It has the jumpers and a broken push button switch. I suspect the toggle switch above is an aftermarket fix.

Not bad for free.

Great fine, especially for free.

One of mine 1030's has preamp out and main in's. It is serial number 2411 and also has an engraved face plate. The original owners manual that came with it shows the back of a 1030 with the same configuration and a serial number of 1084.

Enjoy it!

I was given a 1030 this week, it has NO pre-out sockets. Serial number is 59731

One option would be to change the 5 pin DIN socket to a 7 pin type - that will still take a 5 pin plug if required, so not changing funtionality. But the extra 2 pins can be wired up as pre-out signals. The change would be invisible to all but the keenest collecter.

I picked up a 1030 last week that had a busted power switch. Button missing and switch was very stiff. I replaced it with a nice one from ebay and tested the unit today. I was blown away by how good and strong it sounded paired first with a pair of DB880 and then Klipsch KG2 speakers, both of which are very high efficiency. It's amazing how such a compact unit can put out such glorious sound. IMHO the DB880's may be the most underappreciated speakers out there, particularly for lower powered amps. Their marriage with the 1030 was sublime. The Klipsch sounded nice but they mate better with a slightly more powerful amp.

I'm always amazed by how well these old Marantzes hold up. The one I bought (for $30) had allegedly been stored in a basement for 20 years (and looked it before I cleaned it up). It didn't even need deoxing.

I was planning to sell it but now I'm rethinking my office system.

If your able to work on your equipment, recapping your 1030 will yield great results. That last 1030 I rebuild had improved bass and more depth to the sound.

Back
Top Bottom