Listening impressions of a Marantz 1030

If your able to work on your equipment, recapping your 1030 will yield great results. That last 1030 I rebuild had improved bass and more depth to the sound.

Thanks Chris. But it honestly sounds so good I can't imagine how it could sound any better. At least for the near future I will be happy to use it as is. I've heard some pretty sweet stereos but the combo of 1030 and DB880s is truly magical.

I did clean up the face when I removed it to install the new power switch. The only big negative is that someone wrote their initials on the top with a permanent black marker. Goof-off and alcohol didn't even lighten it. I will try a few more cleaners but I think it's set for good. My only solution may be to cover it.

Yes I have two 1030’s packed away, that I need to unpack, I love them both. The first I bought at goodwill for $25.00 dollars and the second from a guy on Craigslist for $50.00 many many years ago. They sound better than my new equipment.

I have a completely original 1030 as my workshop amp. It drives JBL L80t’s and sounds wonderful. It does have the pre/main jacks. I keep thinking I should recap it, but it sounds so good, I can’t bring myself to tear into it.

Ahh, 1030, the little brother to the 1060. I use 1030's on both my and my wife's computers, wonderful little amps!

Here's my 1030 story:
Back in the 80's, a co-worker (and friend) asked me if I wanted a Marantz 1030 that he no longer used anymore. I jumped at the chance and used it on my computer for many years, finally restoring it completely in around 2015.
It was almost perfect except for a small mark on the face. I kept my eye out, finally found a perfect face plate and installed it on the little guy in around 2017.
Fast forward to 2019, my former co-worker, now retired, called and asked me to help him set up a vinyl system for his small listening room. He had some nice older high efficiency bookshelf speakers and had purchased a good turntable.
It was my pleasure to complete his system by returning his 1030, he couldn't believe I still had it and that it had come home to him.

Tom

I am fortunate to be 1030 and 1060 poor, meaning I have a couple of each to play with.

Life is good!

Tom

Back
Top Bottom