Listening room: installed acoustic panels

What a beautiful room! TINY, but absolutely gorgeous. I love the album display and the colors used in the decor and the sanitary look of the equipment. The acoustic panels and bass traps are a very nice touch.

A couple questions...

- The green tape on the carpet is for marking the speaker location? Do you set the speakers back out of the way at times? I've been thinking about how to do that in an unobtrusive way. Maybe a tiny loop of bright sewing thread in a couple places, or something like that.

- What is the album between Born To Run and Boy, right above Alice Cooper? I think I have every other album that I can actually see in your frames, except for that one. It may be something I need to find and listen to if our tastes are so aligned.

Sweet room...love the album art frames. How do you like that MH RCM?

The RCM works great but one requires ear protection or risk becoming deaf. My only issue is that MH/Roy Hall was not cooperative is anwering questions about accessories or spare parts, namely the suction wand and the felt pads which will eventually wear out. There are a few AK threads about this issue plus a YouTube video by another MH RCM customer. I have yet to hear back from Hall about this issue and there are others who have had the same crappy experience. My recommendation is to look elswhere (Okki Nokki, VPI, etc) due to MH not even responding to my emails and telephone calls.

Great room! I'm in the process of taking over a spare bedroom and would like to do something like this. What is the construction process of the panels? Are there dyi plans avail. anywhere? Can't be that hard to build. Can it? Love the wall colors too. Nice job.

Mike

Mike, the panels were made by a small business. The price, IMO, was well worth it. But there are many threads here on AK on how to make your own panels. Just make sure you have the right material such as Roxul RHT 40 or something similiar. Also, my advice is to go for as thick as possible. There is a huge difference between 2" and 4". My wall panels are 4.5" thick and the tri-corner bass traps are 12" deep.

Looks like a great listening space! So, what are the room dimensions; it doesn't look like a standard type bedroom or the like. Was it s special room used for something else before?

Good question. It's small and far from perfect for sound..hence the need for panels. The dimensions are 16' long by 7.75' wide with a 8' ceiling.

The room was originally used as an office, never a bedroom, in my 1950's bungalow. It's on the ground floor and is accessed from the family room/HT room on the same level. Both these rooms are on a cement floor--the rest of the house is raised 3-4'. The best thing about the listening room is that it is almost sound proofed from the rest of the house. :D

What a beautiful room! TINY, but absolutely gorgeous. I love the album display and the colors used in the decor and the sanitary look of the equipment. The acoustic panels and bass traps are a very nice touch.

A couple questions...

- The green tape on the carpet is for marking the speaker location? Do you set the speakers back out of the way at times? I've been thinking about how to do that in an unobtrusive way. Maybe a tiny loop of bright sewing thread in a couple places, or something like that.

- What is the album between Born To Run and Boy, right above Alice Cooper? I think I have every other album that I can actually see in your frames, except for that one. It may be something I need to find and listen to if our tastes are so aligned.

Good eye spotting the tape. I only used it when I was moving the speakers to attach the panels.

The album is Ultravox "Rage in Eden" from the early eighties. One of my favourite bands for this type of music. Btw, the album to its right is not U2's "Boy", but "War". Easy mistake since U2 changed the original album cover for Boy to be a similiar one of the same 10-year old boy on the War cover. I am not sure the reason for this switch?

Last edited:
My wife has offered me the opportunity to hang album art, posters in my listening area. Its not a dedicated music area but it is downstairs rec room area, nobody really goes down there.

The smaller ones are actual album covers?

Sensational, what good equipment, simple acoustic additions and generally what good taste!

Kudos!

My wife has offered me the opportunity to hang album art, posters in my listening area. Its not a dedicated music area but it is downstairs rec room area, nobody really goes down there.

Go for it Catcher!..before your wife changes her mind. The smaller ones are actual album covers. The vinyl record is removed and stored is a plastic sleeve and cover. The frames are black metal/glass and can hold a double album, although it is a really tight fit. The frames are 12.5 by 12.5" and can be found at Michaels Arts and Crafts, usually on sale for 40% off. On sale they were around $16 for a pack of three frames making it a low-cost way to decorate a 16' wall. You can also change them up a bit...but I will always have some Who albums on display.

Sensational, what good equipment, simple acoustic additions and generally what good taste!

Kudos!

Thanks. Now my wife is saying the time has come to focus on the rest of the house. At least I have my priorities set straight, I think.

If no one really goes down there....stealthily make it your own:D

It will then become your dedicated music area. :music:

I love this room. Everything exudes chilling and relaxing. The speakers are the perfect size for the room, and I would say the sound is extraordinary. Not sure if anyone addressed the rear wall, put the acoustic panel on a stand. This way you can move it from side to side as you find the right spot.

This is a room I could chill and relax in. :music:

I love this room. Everything exudes chilling and relaxing. The speakers are the perfect size for the room, and I would say the sound is extraordinary. Not sure if anyone addressed the rear wall, put the acoustic panel on a stand. This way you can move it from side to side as you find the right spot.

This is a room I could chill and relax in. :music:

It's definately designed for chilling and relaxing. And yes, the thought about adding some panels to the back wall was raised. Before I started with the panels/traps, I was thinking of including another pair of corner bass traps in the rear corners. But their size (12" deep) would interfere with the the record bin. I am on the fence about adding two more of the wall panels (4' by 2' by 4.5") at the back since it takes wall space away from the posters/album art. (And due the small room size, an acoustic panel on a stand really isn't a practical option.) I know this is a pretty lame excuse, but the "look" and "feel" of the room also needs to shout classic rock.

Last edited:
Very nicely done! So cool to see your room treatments - they look great. That is one thing I'd like to focus more on next time I put a system together. Thanks for sharing!

Awesome looking space, planning on downsizing to our rental house in the next few years and my dedicated room will be about the size of yours 12'x9' and I want my room to be similar to yours. My only difference will be 2 Ekornes stressless chairs since my wife enjoys listening with me a couple nights a week, I got a keeper.

Excellent room. Room treatments are one of the best ways to get better sound.

Back
Top Bottom