Listening Space Charity Case (receiver help, watts, ohms, etc.)

While speaker wattage ratings are important, If I had an amp that was under powered or over powered I would still use it. I agree that before the speaker is being abused, We should hear it before its too late. But that may not always be the case. I could power a .5w transistor radio speaker with a 250w amp (which I have seen done) if I wanted to. But why waste resources. Better to spend the money on better speakers or turntable than a ridiculously over powered amp. Bottom line is unless we are talking a serious mismatch, Or you like you music VERY loud, I wouldn't worry about power ratings. That doesn't make speaker power ratings useless or worthless.

Last edited:
While speaker wattage ratings are important, If I had an amp that was under powered or over powered I would still use it. I agree that before the speaker is being abused, We should hear it before its too late. But that may not always be the case. I could power a .5w transistor radio speaker with a 250w amp (which I have seen done) if I wanted to. But why waste resources. Better to spend the money on better speakers or turntable than a ridiculously over powered amp. Bottom line is unless we are talking a serious mismatch, Or you like you music VERY loud, I wouldn't worry about power ratings. That doesn't make speaker power ratings useless or worthless.

Got it, and thank you all above for the back and forth.

I think I can find plenty of nice 100 watt amps that won't break the bank. And there's plenty of speaker suggestions above that would be just fine for that. Anything more than that, yes, you're absolutely right, would just a waste of resources/ money.

That said, I still use my 40w Minimus 7's with my 70w AVR. With a sub doing the heavy lifting, I am OK with that.

I'm fairly certain I have these very speakers and didn't realize it. Walnut finish with the original Realistic (tiny) amp that came with them. They DO still sound great.

Update- I just found a Realistic STA-2100D and got it (with some garbage speakers and a 5 cd changer) for $250. I'm immediately selling the speakers and cd changer. I think the receiver alone was a good pick up.

I'm open to speaker suggestions to pair with the receiver!

this totally fails the 'cool, vintage' requirement, but i recently saw the google home max which is going to be available soon on the google keynote announcement for the pixel 2 - it looks really cool, and is apparently able to shape it's output to the room you install it in. might be neat in a loft space. i believe it's $399 and then you're good to go.....not sure if you can connect a turntable to it, though

edit - it does not have any wired inputs, so it's streaming sources only

edit #2 - maybe get some in-wall speakers to go in the ceiling - would be a slick install

Last edited:
this totally fails the 'cool, vintage' requirement, but i recently saw the google home max which is going to be available soon on the google keynote announcement for the pixel 2 - it looks really cool, and is apparently able to shape it's output to the room you install it in. might be neat in a loft space. i believe it's $399 and then you're good to go.....not sure if you can connect a turntable to it, though

edit - it does not have any wired inputs, so it's streaming sources only

edit #2 - maybe get some in-wall speakers to go in the ceiling - would be a slick install

I'm an android/google user and saw this too. I have chromecasts hooked up to my other home speakers. It's pretty amazing when I'm streaming something throughout the whole house.

TBH I think the Home Max would still be a bit too small for this space. Would probably be excellent in my living room...but I already have a sound bar for the tv (that also can sync/stream) and plenty of volume still comes in from my set up in the chapel (we like naming rooms, and the chapel is where the turntable set up is , on an old altar).

All-
I just found 4 Pioneer CS-88A's for a decent price...but they're rated at 80w.. With 4 of them hooked up, my 125wpc receiver should be fine powering these, yes?

I'm an android/google user and saw this too. I have chromecasts hooked up to my other home speakers. It's pretty amazing when I'm streaming something throughout the whole house.

TBH I think the Home Max would still be a bit too small for this space. Would probably be excellent in my living room...but I already have a sound bar for the tv (that also can sync/stream) and plenty of volume still comes in from my set up in the chapel (we like naming rooms, and the chapel is where the turntable set up is , on an old altar).

All-
I just found 4 Pioneer CS-88A's for a decent price...but they're rated at 80w.. With 4 of them hooked up, my 125wpc receiver should be fine powering these, yes?
i think the general consensus is that more power than required is the way to go. at normal listening volumes, sure. if you're having a loud dance party, and running all 4, you might want more power. those look like they're pretty power-hungry, with 6 drivers per cabinet....but it all depends on what you listen to, and how loud you want it. if i were in your place, i'd probably be after a seperate power amp to drive 2 of them.

Hard to beat Klipsch for the kind of use you intend. You might be able to find two pair of the KG2 model without blowing the budget too badly, especially if the cabinets aren't exactly perfect. A lot of Klipsch speakers have been used in public areas like churches, nightclubs and small auditoriums over the years. If you do go with speakers a couple or more decades old, I suggest a recap of crossovers - cheap and easy to do.

i think the general consensus is that more power than required is the way to go. at normal listening volumes, sure. if you're having a loud dance party, and running all 4, you might want more power. those look like they're pretty power-hungry, with 6 drivers per cabinet....but it all depends on what you listen to, and how loud you want it. if i were in your place, i'd probably be after a seperate power amp to drive 2 of them.
Super helpful, thank you.

The receiver has a pre out...I don't understand exactly how to set this up yet, but am I understanding correctly that I could attach an amp in between the receiver and one of the sets, yes?

Hard to beat Klipsch for the kind of use you intend. You might be able to find two pair of the KG2 model without blowing the budget too badly, especially if the cabinets aren't exactly perfect. A lot of Klipsch speakers have been used in public areas like churches, nightclubs and small auditoriums over the years. If you do go with speakers a couple or more decades old, I suggest a recap of crossovers - cheap and easy to do.
I just found a local pair of HPM 100's in good shape, only one, small rip in a woofer...for $425.

I couldn't get him to come down even though I 'd probably need to get them both reconed.

I'll look at the KG2's, thank you.

Super helpful, thank you.

The receiver has a pre out...I don't understand exactly how to set this up yet, but am I understanding correctly that I could attach an amp in between the receiver and one of the sets, yes?
yes, you can connect a second amp between the pre-out and pre-in and it will work with the receiver's volume, tone controls etc.

i'm in the middle of repairing some speakers right now, that's a lot of work - way more than the cost of the speakers, depending on how you value your time.

the kg-2s should be more efficient, i'd go with them, although i can't say i've heard either.

What you need are RCA Y-cables. Plug the single end into the 'pre-out' jacks, then one of the double ends into the 'main-in' and the other set to the input on the other amp/receiver. This will not tax the preamp stage because power amp inputs are high impedance and do not draw much current like speakers do.

What you need are RCA Y-cables. Plug the single end into the 'pre-out' jacks, then one of the double ends into the 'main-in' and the other set to the input on the other amp/receiver. This will not tax the preamp stage because power amp inputs are high impedance and do not draw much current like speakers do.

Two all male Y cables, yes?

Single into the pre outs, then...what? The red and white channels are split between the Main in and 2nd amp?

Please let me know if I'm understanding correctly.

Also, once I hook up the 2nd amp, how do I evaluate what my system can handle? Do I refer to the amps ratings? I don't want to harm a potential 2nd set of speakers.

Two all male Y cables, yes?

Single into the pre outs, then...what? The red and white channels are split between the Main in and 2nd amp?

Please let me know if I'm understanding correctly.

Also, once I hook up the 2nd amp, how do I evaluate what my system can handle? Do I refer to the amps ratings? I don't want to harm a potential 2nd set of speakers.
yes, but if you can't find them or they're not long enough, you can get a female to two male and connect the female end to a normal RCA cable to the second amp. the shape of the y cable implies some directionality, this is misleading, the audio signal will go from the Red (right) preamp out to the red preamp in on the receiver, and the Right input of the 2nd amp. Left is the same thing, just be sure not to cross left and right. how the Y cable is orientated doesn't matter, electrical signals have no problems turning around and going "back up" the leg of the Y cable.

I just found a local pair of HPM 100's in good shape, only one, small rip in a woofer...for $425.

I couldn't get him to come down even though I 'd probably need to get them both reconed.

I'll look at the KG2's, thank you.

$425 goes a long way when shopping for used gear. Price out those recones before you pull the trigger....

$425 goes a long way when shopping for used gear. Price out those recones before you pull the trigger....

Thanks Don, I'm learning about repair pricing fast.

I settled on a pair of Klipsch kg4's. Was incredibly lucky to find three sets local, and I'm going with the guy who had the crossovers redone and installed titanium diaphragms....all for just $25 more than the other guy(s). Also throwing in the original boxes and stands he made.

I'm very excited.

For what I mostly listen to, I know the HPM 100's would've been "perfect", but I also know how versatile and powerful Klipsch's are... I think I'm gonna have a hell of a time.

Back
Top Bottom