Listening To Headphones While Wearing Glasses

Gang-Twanger

Resident Wharfedaliophool
One thing that I haven't seen addressed in the Headphones section in the time I've been here is how much of a PITA it is to listen to headphones while wearing glasses (I really need 'em when I'm on my computer, and that's when I do my most listening). When your eyeglass frames are sitting behind your ears, wearing headphones on top of that can make things pretty-sore after a while because they press your ears against the end of the frames. I almost always end up taking my glasses off at some point... Either that, or I simply remove the headphones.

I have to think there are many others who have the same problem. I don't wear contacts (and I'm in no hurry to do so either), so that's not really an option for me. Maybe there's an easy solution, but to be quite honest, this is the first time I've really given the matter much thought. Until now, I've simply put up with it (It IS one of the reasons why I was so-glad to be listening to my speakers again).

Thoughts? Suggestions? Am I just coming off as 'bitchy' (or even worse, 'crazy')? I'm curious to know how others feel about this...

Glasses are pita period! If I could see without them I'd smash them with a hammer!

Good point. I went for a new pair and an update on my prescription not that long ago, and I actually like my old ones A LOT better... The new ones are better for up close, but they're terrible for anything more than 3 feet away. I use the new ones for using the computer and use the old ones for everything else (My vision has deteriorated big-time over the last 10 years... I'm glad my hearing is still good...).

I don't wear headphones and that is why.

As far as glasses go, I don't have a lot of choices. People who do not know what they are talking about blather about "Oh, just get contacts like I did," but my eye doctor says I'm not a candidate for contacts. Or they say "Just get LASIK like I did," but my doctor says I'm not a candidate for that either. I hate progressive bifocals, and I have to fight with my eye doctor every year (or at least I did until I got one who does what I tell him) to get hard-line bifocals, which I very much prefer.

I also prefer 1950's style frames, which makes wearing headphones even harder. So if I need to do 'quiet' listening, I use earbuds.

My glasses have very thin temples/earpieces so they don't cause much discomfort. Not better than nothing in this regard, but they're about as close as you can get.

Like these:

attachment.php

Last edited:
Extra slim frame helps and also I've found that around the ear cushion phones offer more comfort compared to flat pads.

Obviously, in-ear buds overcome the whole issue, as does using contact lenses, but each one of us have different taboos and things we dislike. I try to avoid contacts for example.

Yes, I can relate. I'm blind without my glasses, unfortunately. Headphones have always bothered me, mostly because all I've ever had until very recently were "on-ear" phones. Those are a PITA even without glasses after 10 minutes.
Then I got a pair of "over or around ear" phones and that changed my world. I can wear them with or without glasses and for a lot longer than 10 minutes.
The pair I got are Sennhiser HD515 for example.
Try taking a look at over the ear modles of phones.

My glasses have very thin temples/earpieces so they don't cause much discomfort. Not better than nothing in this regard, but they're about as close as you can get.

Like these:

attachment.php

i second that. it is what i wear on daily basis and almost like there not there.

I wear a pair of glasses very similar to the ones pictured above. Since I listen to my stereo late at night I'm forced to wear headphones to keep family peace. My over the ear designed headsets get awfully uncomfortable after just a couple of hours as they seem to push the thin wire frames of my glasses into the sides of my head. I recently purchased a new pair of headphones that I'm very pleased to report do not do this. It may sound silly but the best way to describe the feeling I have with them on is a huge set of marshmallow's setting very comfortably "atop" of both ears. They do not push my glasses into my head and I can happily wear them as long as I wish. They sound pretty darn good as well. I'm speaking of my new Grado SR80i's. They are "open ear" design. Which means you can hear some surrounding noise if loud enough and someone may hear your headphones if close enough. But I've found these headsets do not emit very much sound at all at comfortable (medium loud) listening levels. I'm very pleased with mine for a big headed glass wearer. Here's where I bought them ...

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestig...laneous&ie=UTF8&qid=1325555504&sr=1-1-catcorr

Last edited:
I listen to my AKG 702's most evenings, and I pretty much wear glasses of some type 100% of the time (either reading glasses or prescription glasses later at night when I've removed my contact lenses). I have zero comfort issues, even over extended listening sessions of 3-4 hours.

I agree with Tedrick. The large AKG headphones are very comfortable for me. AKG 601's are what I'm experienced with.

I think this is something that is very personal. Headphones and glasses both sit differently on people's ears. I wear big, bulky black frames and have had lots of problems with headphones like the OP. My two favorite pairs of headphones (Sennheiser HD-580/600/650 and the closed Shure SRH840) really hurt my ears with glasses on. :(

As many have noted, headphone comfort especially with eye glasses very much is a personal thing and trial-and-error.
I haven't used headphones in many years. Best pair I had comfort-wise was the old (very old) Sennheiser 414 with the yellow foam cushions. Gave them away years ago (with much regrets now). Wonder what the successor in the Sennheiser line would be now...?

I wear a pair of glasses very similar to the ones pictured above. Since I listen to my stereo late at night I'm forced to wear headphones to keep family peace. My over the ear designed headsets get awfully uncomfortable after just a couple of hours as they seem to push the thin wire frames of my glasses into the sides of my head. I recently purchased a new pair of headphones that I'm very pleased to report do not do this. It may sound silly but the best way to describe the feeling I have with them on is a huge set of marshmallow's setting very comfortably "atop" of both ears. They do not push my glasses into my head and I can happily wear them as long as I wish. They sound pretty darn good as well. I'm speaking of my new Grado SR80i's. They are "open ear" design. Which means you can hear some surrounding noise if loud enough and someone may hear your headphones if close enough. But I've found these headsets do not emit very much sound at all at comfortable (medium loud) listening levels. I'm very pleased with mine for a big headed glass wearer. Here's where I bought them ...

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestig...laneous&ie=UTF8&qid=1325555504&sr=1-1-catcorr

That's funny.... I expected you to say you use a pair of AKG's or Sennheisers, not Grados (Gives new meaning to the expression "Everybody's ears are different"...).

As others can attest, Grados sound fantastic, but they've never won any awards for comfort. I own a pair of SR80i's, and my ONLY issue with them is the earpads. I don't know if it's the type of foam material they use or if it's simply a product of the on-ear design itself, but my ears usually get sore after a few hours of listening (especially if I'm wearing glasses). I've just viewed it as a necessary tradeoff for getting such great sound at such a low price (When it comes to un-modded, out-of-the-box sound-quality, the SR80i's are by far the best I've heard - They're also the most-well-built I've found for the money).

Well, it's nice to see that other AK'ers can relate to this issue. I was afraid I might be alone on this, but obviously that's not the case.

I've found it really depends on the headphone and the shape of your head. I've had a few that pinched my ears in a really bad way, or started to, once the pads wore down a little bit. Not fun when you're trying to listen to music for an hour or two. I've been using Denon AH-D2000's for the past few months and they've proven to be extremely comfortable when I'm wearing glasses, but it's been a frustrating search.

I totally forgot about this issue, but yeah it drove me nuts as a kid. Don't fear the contact. It's not a sacrifice for vanity anymore; it's pure freedom. The gas permeable disposables they make now are awesome.

That's funny.... I expected you to say you use a pair of AKG's or Sennheisers, not Grados (Gives new meaning to the expression "Everybody's ears are different"...).

As others can attest, Grados sound fantastic, but they've never won any awards for comfort. I own a pair of SR80i's, and my ONLY issue with them is the earpads. I don't know if it's the type of foam material they use or if it's simply a product of the on-ear design itself, but my ears usually get sore after a few hours of listening (especially if I'm wearing glasses). I've just viewed it as a necessary tradeoff for getting such great sound at such a low price (When it comes to un-modded, out-of-the-box sound-quality, the SR80i's are by far the best I've heard - They're also the most-well-built I've found for the money).

Well, it's nice to see that other AK'ers can relate to this issue. I was afraid I might be alone on this, but obviously that's not the case.

I noticed on Amazon (when I bought mine) they listed two models of the Grado SR80i. One was listed as just Grado SR 80i. The other (and the one I bought) was listed as the Grado "Prestige SR80i" Maybe Grado changed the earpads ... I dunno.
I just know they don't hurt me like the closed ear phones do. I guess everyone may experience different results depending on many factors.
http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestig...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1325614405&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/Grado-SR80i-h...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1325614405&sr=1-2

I can see Grados being comfortable for someone that wears glasses. They don't clamp very hard. Which is the real issue with glasses. The pads pushing your ears against the frames of the glasses.

I can see Grados being comfortable for someone that wears glasses. They don't clamp very hard. Which is the real issue with glasses. The pads pushing your ears against the frames of the glasses.

Exactly! To be perfectly honest I love the fit so I'll continue to use them but if your into music with "driving" bass then the Grado's might not be for you. They excell on the higher spectrum but (to me as least) seem to be a little lackluster in the lower frequency department. At least I'm happy with the way they fit my big fat head:yes:

Back
Top Bottom