Listening To Headphones While Wearing Glasses

They excell on the higher spectrum but (to me as least) seem to be a little lackluster in the lower frequency department. At least I'm happy with the way they fit my big fat head:yes:
You may find this graph interesting (if my leeching of a dynamic graphic works):

graphCompare.php

Yep, that appears to be an entire extra octave of bass on the cheaper model.

added text

You may find this graph interesting (if my leeching of a dynamic graphic works):

graphCompare.php

Yep, that appears to be an entire extra octave of bass on the cheaper model.

...now ya'tell me.:sigh::D:sigh: But kidding aside that graph is interesting. I know hearing opinions are very subjective. But really I prefer the somewhat laid back bass of the SR80i's. It's there (make no mistake) but just not with an "in you face" kind of way ... if that makes any sense to you. I much rather enjoy great vocals and the occasional stand out high notes that this particular set of cans delivers in spades. (In fact, as long as I'm rambling, the bass has picked up some as I'm listening again. I just got them last week and they've been "cooking" since then. Maybe they are getting burned-in.)

Last edited:
Wow, this is still going, huh?

Well, since it is, I should add that I'm sure glad I didn't go with the M50's like I was originally-thinking... I hear those things clamp pretty-hard. Plus, I also later realized that they really aren't the sort of sound I'm looking for in headphones. Grados are.

My Senns are ultra comfy and my frames are ultra thin. Boutique frame and lens shops carry some unique styles that look stylish (if that's important to you) and are unobtrusive.

After my last post in this thread I pulled the trigger on a pair of K601's. I've had them for over a week now. They are just like I remembered, super comfy.

Highly recommended for people with glasses that experience discomfort. My ears are just small enough that there is zero pressure on the tops of my ears. The pads are so soft that the front part of the pad that touches my frames doesn't apply much pressure against my temples at all.

I have grado sr225is, and I have VERY thick frammed plastic glasses. I found them EXTREMELY uncomfortable at first, so i've tried a few different things and I've finally found my sweet spot. I will post a pic when I get home tonight, but this is what I did:

407872_10100494014188543_14226414_50565207_1337718496_n.jpg

Ordered some free sample memory foam pads from a bed manufacturer (it ended up being about $8 shipping) and then rubber band them to the sides and tops.

For the ear pads I used two sets of ear pads.
First, the soft black leathery pads from an old crappy pair of Sennheiser "pro-dj" headphones that I bought in highschool for like $20.
I pushed these pads back on the cup far enough so that I could just barely slide on my 2nd pair of pads, reverse quarter modded hd414 yellow pads (so that they'd catch in the grooves of the can).

398691_10100494014278363_14226414_50565208_1769453639_n.jpg

Now it feels like i'm wearing a pillow of heavenly sound! :music: I can wear them for 8+ hours without experiencing any discomfort (before they would start to hurt after 10-20 minutes from the pressure on my glasses).

They look INCREDIBLY silly, but they're SOOOOO comfortable, and I only ever wear them at home, so I don't care! :D

Last edited:
Thoughts? Suggestions? Am I just coming off as 'bitchy' (or even worse, 'crazy')? I'm curious to know how others feel about this...

Oh I feel your pain, and I use Grado 325i's, which are already pretty uncomfortable to wear AFAIC. Every time I put them on I pull the glasses straight out, then re-"insert" them, but with the sides of the glasses up above the foam rims of the headphones and my ears, so there's no longer anything pushing them into the side of my head, and ears. And that pretty much solves the issue for me. Not sure if it would work with other brands/models of headphones - in fact I can think of some right now, like STAX.

I still dislike wearing glasses though, and contacts, though I reluctantly prefer the latter. Man, I really need to get Lasik... :(

Oh I feel your pain, and I use Grado 325i's, which are already pretty uncomfortable to wear AFAIC. Every time I put them on I pull the glasses straight out, then re-"insert" them, but with the sides of the glasses up above the foam rims of the headphones and my ears, so there's no longer anything pushing them into the side of my head, and ears. And that pretty much solves the issue for me. Not sure if it would work with other brands/models of headphones - in fact I can think of some right now, like STAX.

I still dislike wearing glasses though, and contacts, though I reluctantly prefer the latter. Man, I really need to get Lasik... :(

I do the same thing when hearing headphones at the computer- tip up the over ear portion of the frames. Probably wouldn't work too well with bifocals or the like.

Back
Top Bottom