Little rant about dogs in my town

OldStuff

I believe some dogs are smarter than their owners and that some people shouldn't own a dog. I like watching most shows that show the skill or beauty of their dogs. I also believe that if I wanted to buy a full blooded dog, I should do my homework and read up on the dog. I believe there are many people who raise and sell dogs who know what they are doing and because they love animals. I lived in a city for most of my life and now that I retired, I live in a small town of about maybe 500 people. I have three large dogs all about 75-80 lbs, that are sisters. I keep them fenced in my yard, the problem I have is that many of these people are still living in the Stone Age. Some times I see as many as 14-15 dogs running loose in one day. I doubt that some of these people take their dogs to get their yearly shots and if it gets ran over by a car "Oh well", they go get another one from the dog pound just to shut their kid up. If the dogs have a disease they come sniffing through the fence and now my dog gets to share the same ailment. Luckily, my dogs are not real sociable with others dogs and they pretty much will chase them away. The "Animal Control" is in the town next to us about 10 miles away. They expect me to go outside take a picture of the loose dogs and e-mail it to them before they will come out here. I suggested to them that they come here regularly and catch all the loose dogs, but what I get from them is that these people are too poor to afford paying for bailing their dogs out. I know a lot of the people in this town, most work in the mines and make fair money, they seem to like their new Cadillacs or L[ncolns so they are not starving. Well, I guess the next best thing is to let them run loose without shots and just wait until the next car runs them over... ingenious!

Last edited:
Seems like your town has "gone to the dogs"
giphy.gif

Well, I've lived here for over 3 years and in that time I have never really said anything about it. Like I said , I talked to the Animal Control once because I saw a dog that had a growth on it's side about the size of a medium purse. I told them that I thought if the owner didn't care enough to take it to the vet. they should put it down so the dog wouldn't have to suffer any more. I moved here because in these small towns I have a lot of relatives. Since moving here, I have met one relative that works as a police officer in the next town, his father is head sheriff at a neighboring town and another that actually works at the dog pound, So, I guess if I wanted to upset some people, I could. I just tell the kids that come over and work on my yard, that they must not care much for their dogs to let them keep getting run over. Their parents may not have much as far as gray matter, but I've seen a lot of these kids started walking their dogs on a leach and taking better care of them. LOL!

Last edited:
You should see some of the oxygen depletion experts around here. There's one that has his on a chain, maybe ten foot in length, and that's all that poor dog does all day. Bark incessantly and circle. Doesn't matter the weather, pouring rain, tornado, freezing temps, record highs, that poor dog has nowhere to go.

I wished animal control would put the dog in the house, and chain the asshole outside for a year.

Most of the people around me that own dogs are not prepared to care for them. They work too much and no one is around to tend to them. There is a school a couple hundred yards from my house and the trail through the park to get there is often covered with dog crap. My kids would step in it every so often. I have too. It makes me steaming mad, no pun intended.

Next door family dog not family anymore since new puppy.
She has to drink from a water tap that has got to be near boiling temperature in summer.
upload_2018-9-25_14-18-18.jpeg
upload_2018-9-25_14-18-53.jpeg

I am a responsible pet, (dog) owner. Yes, it annoys me to hear a continually barking dog, as I can relate, when my dog starts barking, (mostly at squirrels and bicyclists), she is back in the house. I prefer a quiet neighborhood, and do my part to keep it that way. True story: My neighbor is somewhat mentally challenged. One day, while my wife and daughter were in the yard with the Schnauzer, (on a leash), he kept calling the dogs name, getting her to bark at him. He went inside, and called in a complaint about our "barking dog". When the cops showed up, my daughter grabbed the dog and hid in the closet, (in tears) fearing the cops would impound the dog. Nice guy.

My neighbors had two Pit Bulls, even though it's against the City Code.

Individually, they were nice pets, together they were mayhem. The younger one could not tolerate my lawn mowers. I'd be on the rider, and they would jump the fence and attack the mower.

They were fast. I couldn't even track the younger one with my eyes, it would show up behind me, on the other side of me. They wouldn't attack me, just the tires on the mower, all growling and shit.

They had get rid of the younger one. Haven't seen the older one, lately. He stays out of town most of the time.

Well, I've been thinking about this post today, and the sad thing is some of these kids have it far worse than those dogs.

Last edited:
Stay safe, bro.

I don't want you to think I was making fun of you.

The status quo in my neighborhood is very precarious. Paybacks are harsh. 911 is not always the first thing we do. We've had to do it a few times.

They had to set the lifeflight helicopter down here one time...and I can't talk much about on a public forum.

Most of you know Pandi (Baby Girl) sleeps in our bed with us, eats with us and rides with us to the park and to the lake and its all about her.
She's spoiled really, really so bad but its all so good. When she stretches out in bed she's five foot long(!)
I wish in my heart all dogs were spoiled like she is.

BigElCat, I took no offense. ETLS, One day I was walking home when I had some neighbor kids come running up to me and they said that they just got a new puppy! One of the children asked me if I wanted to know why they just got a new puppy, it was because the one they had strangled itself on the chain it was on during the night. I didn't say anything, I just kept walking home. Wanna guess where the new puppy is? On the same chain that strangled the other one. The only bright side is that it is against the law for them to put their children on a chain or knowing them, they probably would.

I can understand leash laws for when walking dogs. I can understand perimeter fencing to keep the G.P. and their properties free of unwanted animal excursions and subsequent deposits.

I cannot understand sentencing an animal to a life of restricted confinement, for being a dog. Or cat. That's sad.

I am a responsible dog owner--I have a 14 month old pure German Shepherd Dog (parents are imports from the old country). His dog food (Blue Wilderness) is almost $60 a bag, and his vet records are more complete than my own medical records--I take him to the vet regularly, but refuse to go to a doctor or hospital myself at pretty much all costs. He leads a very pampered life, has never been caged or chained, and always has free run of the house. He is great in public and loves little kids and old ladies, and I take him everywhere (permitted).

But I have some "issues" with dog laws and rescue/adoption organizations. Current laws here in PA are getting ridiculous as to the maintenance and protection of animals, and fines and even jail time. You stand to undergo stiffer legal repercussions for leaving your dog outside or a really hot or cold day than if you come home drunk every night and beat the hell out of your wife/SO or kids.

Then the rescue/adoption "zealots". I hate to seen anyone or any animal abused, and realize these folks do good and necessary work--I appreciate that, but they are out of control. I have always owned pure-bred dogs from reputable breeders--not because I am a "snob" or wanted to breed or show them, but I did want the bloodlines and health records. But when I had to put down my previous GSD, basically due to old age (he was 12), I considered adopting a rescue. There are lots of great dogs at the rescue centers--many are even pure-breeds that were relinquished to the shelter due to relocations, divorces or health issues of the previous owner.

So off I go to the shelters, and I found several dogs that I really liked. But now here comes the three page application, a non-refundable "application fee", a background check, a home visit requirement, and then (if you are "approved") anywhere from $150-350 "adoption fee". It would be easier to get a mortgage or adopt a child. Screw all that--you want me to jump through hoops and pay all of this money to take what is potentially "someone else's problem" off your hands.

All the breeder I dealt with needed was a copy of my ID and cash or a credit card number and I could pick which of the litter I wanted and take him home right now--with a file folder full of documentation regarding bloodlines and veterinary care--and both parents were on-site and playing with the puppies and their three little kids out in the yard when I got there.

OK--rant over. Like I stated, I appreciate the work that these rescue/shelter people do, and that it costs money to operate, but the reason the shelters are full is how difficult they make it to adopt a pet.

EDIT/UPDATE--Just saw an ad--one of the local rescue/shelter organizations "Animal Friends" is trying to clear some "inventory", so they have "discounted" adoption fees for puppies to $150, but they have a "dollar bin"--actually $25 bin. Any animal that is older, has been in the shelter for a year or more, or has known health issues can be adopted for $25.

Last edited:
For the last 10 or so years my wife has worked as deputy director of our local municipality's code enforcement (pop circa 6,000). Not only building and property code but also animal control is included - she is over that department too.
Some of the horror stories she has come home with are so overwhelming they literally break my heart and I finally told her one day "Please don't tell me anymore, I just can't hear about it."
We treat our Baby Girl like she is our adopted, forever 2 year old child with fur so if you don't want hair on your clothes - stay off the furniture. She lives here and people who visit don't.
Our (her) home, our (her) rules.

You should see some of the oxygen depletion experts around here. There's one that has his on a chain, maybe ten foot in length, and that's all that poor dog does all day. Bark incessantly and circle. Doesn't matter the weather, pouring rain, tornado, freezing temps, record highs, that poor dog has nowhere to go.

I wished animal control would put the dog in the house, and chain the asshole outside for a year.

The folks right around the corner from me used to have a big German Shepherd bitch that spent most of its life tethered outside - on a clothes line. Every few days it would get bored, chew through the rope, and wander the neighborhood. Fortunately the dog had quite an amiable disposition - it deserved better owners.

I'm glad to hear I am not the only one who feels the need to express myself. I'm definitely not a believer in geniside, but some times I wish we could put some of the very dysfunctional people on an island and let them all live happily ever after. Yes, I know ...I should pray for them... yes, I do pray for them... ok. I'll go pray for them again....Geez.

Back
Top Bottom