??? live at the Villiage Vanguard

nickrobotron

una bella tazza di caffe
??? live at the Village Vanguard

Everything I hear on Kansas Public Radio that's live at the Village Vanguard is awesome. Recording quality is great. New and old musicians.

What live Village Vanguard albums do I need to buy?

Everything I hear on Kansas Public Radio that's live at the Villiage Vanguard is awesome. Recording quality is great. New and old musicians.

What live Villiage Vanguard albums do I need to buy?

The ones that come to mind immediately:

Albert Ayler - Albert Ayler In Greenwich Village (Performance at the VV)
John Coltrane - The Complete 1961 Village Vanguard Recordings
John Coltrane - Impressions (Live at VV)
John Coltrane - Coltrane Live At The Village Vanguard Again!

Bill Evans - Sunday At The Village Vanguard
Bill Evans - Waltz For Debby
Bill Evans - More From The Village Vanguard (Not sure title is correct)
* or as with Coltrane, you can get
Bill Evans - The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings

Sonny Rollins - A Night At The Village Vanguard
Sonny Rollins - More From The Vanguard

Hey, I forgot about a VV album that you in particular might enjoy, given your fondness of Cannonball Adderley. Recorded at the Village Vanguard on January 12 and 14, 1962:

The Cannonball Adderley Sextet - In New York (Riverside RLP 404)

Personnel for these sets:

Nat Adderley (cor)
Cannonball Adderley (as)
Yusef Lateef (ts, fl, ob)
Joe Zawinul (p)
Sam Jones (b)
Louis Hayes (d)

Hey, I forgot about a VV album that you in particular might enjoy, given your fondness of Cannonball Adderley. Recorded at the Village Vanguard on January 12 and 14, 1962:

The Cannonball Adderley Sextet - In New York (Riverside RLP 404)

Personnel for these sets:

Nat Adderley (cor)
Cannonball Adderley (as)
Yusef Lateef (ts, fl, ob)
Joe Zawinul (p)
Sam Jones (b)
Louis Hayes (d)

Yeah! I love Nat too. That would be a great show. I really enjoy the Live in San Francisco album. Where can I find repressings on vinyl for all these Village Vanguard albums?

Ancient thread, I realize, but I had a comment on live Vanguard recordings and didn't want to start a new thread.

I agree with Nick, the Village recordings and ambiance are wonderful. But I got to thinking about the talking, laughing and clinking glasses you hear constantly in the background.
I actually wondered if engineers added that to the recordings just to make it more interesting. It's a nice effect, but is that really the way New York jazz clubs are? Are NY jazz fans really THAT disrespectful? Bill wasn't exactly un-known at the time of the recordings. He had already played with Miles. So why go and pay the cover charge to see the Bill Evans Trio and talk through the performance?

So, you're at the club, witnessing an intimate live recording of a legendary artist/group and half the club is laughing out loud, having conversations, etc.
I wonder if anyone had the urge to stand up and tell everyone to shut the hell up and go to some other bar?

I grew up in the mid-west....maybe I'm just naive about social rules in the Big Apple.

I sorta hear you. At the same time, such performances, because they were in a club, were meant to be relaxed and social. It would have been like telling a crowd at a Talking Heads CBGB show to sit down and shut up.

Ancient thread, I realize, but I had a comment on live Vanguard recordings and didn't want to start a new thread.

I agree with Nick, the Village recordings and ambiance are wonderful. But I got to thinking about the talking, laughing and clinking glasses you hear constantly in the background.
I actually wondered if engineers added that to the recordings just to make it more interesting. It's a nice effect, but is that really the way New York jazz clubs are? Are NY jazz fans really THAT disrespectful? Bill wasn't exactly un-known at the time of the recordings. He had already played with Miles. So why go and pay the cover charge to see the Bill Evans Trio and talk through the performance?

So, you're at the club, witnessing an intimate live recording of a legendary artist/group and half the club is laughing out loud, having conversations, etc.
I wonder if anyone had the urge to stand up and tell everyone to shut the hell up and go to some other bar?

I grew up in the mid-west....maybe I'm just naive about social rules in the Big Apple.

The Coltrane VV is truely epic.

No one has mentioned Art Pepper's 7-9 disc set. One of my favorite sets. If it ever comes out on vinyl I'm all over it.

I actually wondered if engineers added that to the recordings just to make it more interesting. It's a nice effect, but is that really the way New York jazz clubs are?
A big part of all that background noise is the tiny size and layout of the Vanguard. It's a little joint in a basement. The tables are one or two feet from the players. Also, before rock changed everything, going to a jazz club was a standard social friday night...along with a half dozen hard liquor cocktails.
I was going to add, "it aint church" but at my local there's an old old deaf couple that talk to each through the entire mass...loud and in Italian. :)

If I could grab two and only two off my shelf, it would be Coltrane and Pepper. The complete Coltrane set seems to have a lot of duplication, but even the instrumentation varies on some of he tracks you might think essentially are the same.

Back
Top Bottom