Living Room Set-up

So here is the situation. I am a little tight on space as far as speaker size goes and I have a girlfriend that I live with that is DEDICATED to having things look good. I have a TV that I would like to connect using optical and an LP120 record player that I would like to connect using its RCA cables. I have a greak subwoofer so I don't need anything there but I am looking for an upgrade to my 2.1 system. I currently am using the Kano Yumis for my speakers but I'm looking for something a little better - I listen to rock/metal music and feel like some better speakers could really bring the tracks to life. My all-in budget is $300-$500. I will post a picture of the space I have when I am back at home - it isnt PERFECT by any means but its not bad at all. I need speakers that will be able to sit on my tv stand as I do not have space for dedicated speaker stands. thanks in advance!

Check out Klipsch R-15PM. Nice little powered monitors. Optical, phono (although you don't need it as the LP120 runs its own preamp so you would just run it as a line in), built in bluetooth, subwoofer out, remote control. Very nice looking and convenient setup. Sounds good too! Retail for $500 but can be had for less.

Check out Klipsch R-15PM. Nice little powered monitors. Optical, phono (although you don't need it as the LP120 runs its own preamp so you would just run it as a line in), built in bluetooth, subwoofer out, remote control. Very nice looking and convenient setup. Sounds good too! Retail for $500 but can be had for less.
Cool I'll definitely have to check them out - pretty sure I saw them on display at Best Buy so I might give them a listen. Super annoying question though - do they have grills? I know my GF would not go for those copper woofers (I think they are great but would not pass the "wife test" haha)

I'm confused. What receiver are you using? Where is the TV optical going to connect to? Is the subwoofer powered or passive? For decent speakers, since you already have a sub, I'd order a set of Dayton Airs from partsexpress.com. Save some cash and upgrade somewhere else.

I'm confused. What receiver are you using? Where is the TV optical going to connect to? Is the subwoofer powered or passive? For decent speakers, since you already have a sub, I'd order a set of Dayton Airs from partsexpress.com. Save some cash and upgrade somewhere else.
I do not have a receiver. The kanto yumis I have are powered monitors with a sub out, optical in, and RCA in. I am using the Definitive Technology ProSub 200TL which is a powered sub with RCA in and LFE in. I would like to Replace my Yumis with either better powered monitors with similar I/O OR speakers with a receiver thatll work with my sub too

Will be posting a pic of the space later this evenning when Im back from work.

Cool, thanks for the info.. BTW all receivers will work with a powered sub, just daisy chain speaker wire off one of the speakers to the LFE in on the sub, that way volume changes on all instead of just the satellite speakers.

Cool I'll definitely have to check them out - pretty sure I saw them on display at Best Buy so I might give them a listen. Super annoying question though - do they have grills? I know my GF would not go for those copper woofers (I think they are great but would not pass the "wife test" haha)

Haha, I know how that goes. Sorry, no grill available for these.

Another option in keeping with your budget is to grab an Onkyo A-9010 (or better yet A-9050) and pair it with ELAC B6. That setup will sound better than the Klipsch, although will be a little more expensive and not as elegant.

Haha, I know how that goes. Sorry, no grill available for these.

Another option in keeping with your budget is to grab an Onkyo A-9010 (or better yet A-9050) and pair it with ELAC B6. That setup will sound better than the Klipsch, although will be a little more expensive and not as elegant.
Cool, thanks for the info.. BTW all receivers will work with a powered sub, just daisy chain speaker wire off one of the speakers to the LFE in on the sub, that way volume changes on all instead of just the satellite speakers.
Hey so here is what I'm working with! Maybe some small stands to go on the tv stand for the speakers? The receiver would have to fit in that middle cubby - so it would have to be kinda small :/ I would also really like a remote to use for the audio.

Attachments

• IMG_4863.JPG
    IMG_4863.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4864.JPG
    IMG_4864.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4865.JPG
    IMG_4865.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 18
Yeah, I don't think too many recievers or integrated amps will fit in that cubby. I think the Klipsch R-15PM are your best option.

Just tell the GF that it's the bare drivers or else you're forced to buy a big receiver and put it on top of the cabinet next to the turntable. :)

Yeah, I don't think too many recievers or integrated amps will fit in that cubby. I think the Klipsch R-15PM are your best option.

Just tell the GF that it's the bare drivers or else you're forced to buy a big receiver and put it on top of the cabinet next to the turntable. :)
Would it be possible/okay if I got a receiver and the record player on top of it? Or is that too much of a risk for it to then be uneven?

Would it be possible/okay if I got a receiver and the record player on top of it? Or is that too much of a risk for it to then be uneven?

I would think the turntable would be too long/wide to sit on the receiver. You'd have to check the dimensions to be sure. Other issue is that most receivers have vents to dissipate heat on the top and you wouldn't want to always block those, although that might not be a huge deal.

There are some slim receivers out there that could possibly fit inside the cabinet. I know Marantz makes a line. But then again, you want to still have enough space for them to dissipate their heat.

Last edited:
I would think the turntable would be too long/wise to sit on the receiver. You'd have to check the dimensions to be sure. Other issue is that most receivers have vents to dissipate heat on the top and you wouldn't want to always block those, although that might not be a huge deal.

There are some slim receivers out there that could possibly fit inside the cabinet. I know Marantz makes a line. But then again, you want to still have enough space for them to dissipate their heat.
hmmmm a good point - maybe i'll just have to do some convincing that the Klipsch are elegant and stylish XD

They have a nice silver-gunmetally-black textured vinyl finish to them. Pretty modern looking. My wife quite likes them. I think they'd look good in your room.

Back
Top Bottom