Local Goodwill has this console

quneur

This cool little console was sitting at my local GW. Didn't buy - asking fifty bucks but thought it was real neat. Didn't take an overall picture but took pics of separate compartments. It still has the docs with it. Speaker was in the center.

Last edited:
Its a very cool piece. Love that wire recorder / timer arrangement. Extra cool that its got the paperwork still. That would have been a fairly expensive thing to buy around 1950.

This one was probably TOTL for SEARS & ROEBUCK at the time. The Phono is 78 only and probably a Webster Chicago. Audmod01 has one that is similar to it. It could be a 1948 Silvertone 8127D model. Audmod01 installed a Type A Garrard in his. The wire recorder has a GE Telechron timer unit that will allow play, or record a program, and then shut down the whole unit when the timer trips off. It could possibly have a 4 gang FM Tuner (which nobody had until the early 60's unless you were a super serious audiophile and had the $$$$ for one). 1948 MSRP probably around $750.00.

Yes, Larry is right. The one I have is the same model. The unit I have also came to me with the original sales slip and owner's manual plus the parts list, installation info and schematic. I do not know who made the actual changer. It is unlike others I have seen. Colonial radio Co. of New York made the chassis used in these. Only 500 were made according to sources I found. The cabinets are beautiful. At the time they sold new for as much as a low mileage late model used car! Darren Garansi of NJ has one too. He and I were both restoring ours at the same time. There is a thread on antique radio forum about them.

The one I had is now owned by my daughter. She loves the cabinet.
Cabinet brass polished web.jpg In a cabinet.jpgCabinet brass polished web.jpg Chassis Installed w changer web.jpg
I installed a Garrard Type A changer with Vaco/Varco TN4 stereo cartridge both channels bridged together to provide mono output but capable of playing stereo or mono records without damage to either type. I had to cut a recess inside the changer compartment so the counterweight on the Type A tone arm would move freely at the end of records. Lots of custom fitting was required. I made a custom wooden changer base using wood from Rockler plus stain and varnish. A better changer choice would be a Garrard AT-6 which is somewhat smaller. That last picture was taken before I put the knobs back on the wire recorder.

Joe

Last edited:
Here is the original changer that came with mine and Darren's 8127D units.
Record Changer OEM unit web.jpg
And the Wire Recorder.
Recorder after repaint 01 web.jpg Recorder after repaint 02 web.jpg
There are slight differences in the wire recorders over about a 3 year period.
Manufacturer was Colonial Radio Corp, Lord Co. of Erie, PA made many of the recorder parts.

I might have gone RC-88. Same color as the original, and its got that old timey side-push mechanism like the Type A, but no counterweight on the back of the arm. Its not as good a machine unfortunately. I bought an RC-88 for that sort of purpose, but ended up using a Type A-II since it was the better machine.

I rebuilt one of those things about 15 years ago for a good friend of mine. They are nice sounding radios and the wire recorder is an interesting piece which I got working. I don't remember who manufactured the turntable though.

Yes, Larry is right. The one I have is the same model. The unit I have also came to me with the original sales slip and owner's manual plus the parts list, installation info and schematic. I do not know who made the actual changer. It is unlike others I have seen. Colonial radio Co. of New York made the chassis used in these. Only 500 were made according to sources I found. The cabinets are beautiful. At the time they sold new for as much as a low mileage late model used car! Darren Garansi of NJ has one too. He and I were both restoring ours at the same time. There is a thread on antique radio forum about them.

The one I had is now owned by my daughter. She loves the cabinet.
View attachment 933890 View attachment 933892View attachment 933890 View attachment 933891
I installed a Garrard Type A changer with Vaco/Varco TN4 stereo cartridge both channels bridged together to provide mono output but capable of playing stereo or mono records without damage to either type. I had to cut a recess inside the changer compartment so the counterweight on the Type A tone arm would move freely at the end of records. Lots of custom fitting was required. I made a custom wooden changer base using wood from Rockler plus stain and varnish. A better changer choice would be a Garrard AT-6 which is somewhat smaller. That last picture was taken before I put the knobs back on the wire recorder.

Joe
Yes indeed, I have the same one from 1947 and it sounds fantastic. I have about 25 wire recordings from 1948 to 1960.

I hope that the unit goes to the right home. That's some nice and rare history. I wouldn't be that person because I at least am in the stereo era though. For me, such a piece would sit unused and I don't have an interest in leaving a piece sitting unused.

Very cool.

Back
Top Bottom