Local Speaker Repair?

gib48189

Hi,

Anyone know of a local repair shop that does speaker repair? I have an driver in a DCM prototype that is bad, would love to get it repaired locally is possible. I believe the voice coil is rubbing. It's an old Philips 6.5", rubber surround, octagonal frame. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Trying as many forums to post in, sorry if you've seen this in the speaker forum.

Thanks

Have you pulled the driver? DCMs are probably the biggest PITA speakers to deal with as they used butyl rubber glue from Hell to cement the drivers in. No fun at all.

That being said, if the rubber surround isn't damaged, I would suspect a fried voice coil that has become unwound or perhaps curled or crimped from bottoming. With a sound spider and surround, it's rare for a voice coil to become misaligned.

You could try rotating it 180 and see if that helps. Sometimes on large speakers the mass of the cone pulls down on the surround causing sag and misalignment and this rotation helps. but I haven't heard of it happening much on smaller speakers like 6.5".

Well, I found a thread in the speaker section on how to repair a shifted magnet. I followed the instructions in the thread, built a jig as described. Ended up I had 2 speakers that had magnets that moved. I was able to fix both speakers, no more rub. One big challenge was getting the dust caps opened, they are aluminum, and rather stout. I was able to use a dremmel with a 1/32 shaping bit, got into both of them. They are back in the cabinets, sounding perfect once again.

Andyman, these cabinets are very early prototypes that Steve E. was making before DCM was up and running. They were actually very easy to remove, just held in with black silicone. I used a heat gun, warmed the frames up a bit, and out they came. No "black death" like was used on production models. The cabinets are about 4' wide, almost 2' deep, curved in the front coming into a wedge shape in the rear. each cabinet has 4-6.5' phillips drivers (octogonal frame)and 4 phillips tweets. I am driving them with a Carver m200T and driving my TimeWindows with a Rotel RA 1312.

Mighty fine listening, first time I've ever stacked speakers. Here is a pic I posted in the speaker forum, the cabinet they are sitting on is 8' wide-

fans_zpsxfy2e1wj.jpg

Oh wow...I used to have some Philips 6.5" woofers with the octagonal frame, but they had a hard plastic dust cap. I originally had eight, lost two in a move, used another two to rebuild some Realistic Nova 6 speakers (which had blown 8" woofers, back when I was a stupid teenager with a bass knob :D )...not sure where the other four are.

Since this is about speaker repair, I wonder if anyone locally could replace the diaphragms in a pair of Martin Logan panels. I can get a DIY kit but I don't have the space or woodworking tools anymore to make the jig I need. And I'm not as handy as I used to be. There is a guy in Ohio that rebuilds them, but each time I email, the cost seems to go up, the more I find wrong with them.

There is a lady in Oxford that did a Voice coil rebuild for a pair of Technics SB- 7000A for me a while back . I could send out her info to the group if needed, just drop me a PM if info is needed in the future.

There is a lady in Oxford that did a Voice coil rebuild for a pair of Technics SB- 7000A for me a while back . I could send out her info to the group if needed, just drop me a PM if info is needed in the future.
Given how I can't find a suitable woofer for my Sequel IIs, I might just get the voice coil rebuilt on the bad driver. (Bought it that way.) I'm tired of messing with trying to find a woofer that will work properly in this size enclosure (46.322L).

Back
Top Bottom