long eye relief scopes?

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoor Adventure' started by 2011etec, Mar 25, 2018.

1. 2011etec

2011etec Super Member

Has anybody used them?Was thinking of putting one on this gorgeous gal .[​IMG]

Please register to disable this ad.

2. mhardy6647

mhardy6647 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Dunno about rifle scopes, but I know that Swarovski spotting scopes have good eye relief (key for spectacles-wearers like me) -- I also know that Swarovski makes rifle scopes; I assume they're pretty good.

One gets what one pays for.

3. GuyK

GuyK Addicted Member

I don't have any info, but will be following this thread. I've got a M1896 Mauser I'm planning to do the same with.

4. squirrelnest

squirrelnest Addicted Member

I use a Burris scope on my Marlin 30-30....many excellent scopes out there....

5. 2011etec

2011etec Super Member

I'm more interested if anybody has used or uses a long eye relief scope and their thoughts on it.Another option maybe would be to find a used bolt that was bent or I could bend .I wont do it to mine as its a numbers matching never issued rifle.Since 1955 theres only been 20 shots through that rifle and they were modern non corrosive rounds too.Love the mausers GuyK I had a Argentinian one that was chambered for 30/06

6. 2011etec

2011etec Super Member

7. BigElCat

BigElCat AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've done just that. UTG tri-rail with a BSA Edge 27x32 pistol scope (2 to 7x).

I had to shim the tri-rail quite a bit. I had it dialed in using a laser bore sight, but never shot with it. I became obsessed with trying to make open sights work in conjunction with the scope. I failed.

DSC00459.JPG

https://www.opticsplanet.com/review...istol-scope-w-black-matte-finish-ps27x32.html

The scope wouldn't get you out to the Mosin's max potential. Should be good for 200 yards (?)

I could get a closer pic if you're interested.

8. 2011etec

2011etec Super Member

Please do .

9. 2011etec

2011etec Super Member

been thinking about my mosin all night .I'm not willing to damage or alter in any way so I'm going to go with a long eye relief system .If I want or need a more powerful scope their out there.I was looking at prices for used mosins and boy oh boy mine must be worth a fair amount being a never issued beauty.Id never sell though I don't believe any ways .Should get out my reloading stuff and practice reloading 30.06 and 7.62x54r.Havnt done that since the 90,s.Long story short,1955 these were stored in a warehouse in Poland after being made and were lost in the system till the 1990,s.I believe it was century arms found them though a Polish connection.At the same time they found a lot of 1944? lee-enfields in Ireland that were never issued also.My one big regret was not picking up one of them also .

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

10. BigElCat

I'd recommend the UTG tri-rail. It's beefy. No permanent mods to the gun, just take the rear flip up post off.

I cut about an inch and a half off of the rear of the center rail.

You don't rest your cheek on the stock when you have a 'scout style' scope. This is good for me, I have a long neck. This combo shoulders well.

DSC00461.JPG
    DSC00460.JPG
    DSC00462.JPG

The mount and scope cost less than $200.

11. BigElCat

I should move the scope toward the muzzle another inch, maybe.

I use the tri-rail to grip the gun with my left hand. It's completely solid, makes a perfect grip for long fingers.

12. 2011etec

2011etec Super Member

Nice ,your nagent looks to be in good shape did you get it like that or did you spruce her up?I see for those that have ruff ones you can get Finnish wood stocks.

13. BigElCat

That thing came from Russia submersed in a drum of cosmoline. It's in excellent shape, but the numbers don't match. $119.00, had been $99 for awhile but I waited to long.

It took me weeks to get it to where the cosmoline didn't come off on my hands.

I used some citrus based paint stripper and steel wool. It finally turn into a hard smooth finish, no other product used. That cosmoline soaks all the way through wood, or so it seems to me.

14. Dirk Willims

Dirk Willims AK Subscriber Subscriber

Perhaps I'm not tracking but are you referring to the " scout scopes" mounted way forward on the rifle, with eye relief in the 12/15 inch range VS 3.5 to 4.0 inches, I know the term as scope eye relief.

If that's what your asking, yes I've shot them.

As long as you shoot with both eyes open, it's reasonably simple to pick up the sight, and shoot distance. When I say distance, I'm talking hunting ranges, 100y to max 350y.

I've found that past those distances, the scoped vision wash's out for me. My eyes strain trying to make out the cross hairs on the target. I'm told has to,do with ambient light angles,,between your eye, and the objective side of the scope.

I find the scout scopes excel at jump shooting. Throwing the rifle up to ones eye for a quick shot. If that makes sense.

Dirk