Long Island, NY help with amp?

Asha

To live's to fly ...
Is there anyone in the New York area that might be able to check out (and possibly pick-up, pack & ship) an amplifier to Colorado? The seller doesn't know anything of hifi and is reluctant to ship such a heavy item (around 50 lbs). It would greatly relieve her reluctance (and my fears) if one of you knowledgeable AK'ers could gallantly lend a hand.

Thanks for taking the time to consider this,

Gregor

Gregor, where on Long Island? And in what time frame? I go to NYC every two or three weeks, so the western part of Long Island is a possibility. The eastern part, unfortunately, is a an extra couple of hours each way.

hammr7, thanks so much for replying. I've emailed the seller to get a more specific location/zip code/address, but am still waiting for her reply. I will post as soon as I hear something. I hope the items I'm interested in are still available.

Thanks again for your offer to help.

I just heard back from the seller. She is in zip code 11784. Is this doable for anyone?

I just heard back from the seller. She is in zip code 11784. Is this doable for anyone?

That's Selden, NY, exit 62/63 off the LIE in Suffolk County for reference...about 100 miles out of my way for my NYC trip this week, sorry.

je

Thanks anyway for considering this, Fred. Maybe someone else will find it possible.

It's about the same distance from me, but I don't have a vehicle. I wish I could help, but maybe someone could give the seller info on proper packing.

Bogframe, thanks also for at least considering. The problem with the seller is that in addition to being intimidated by packing such a heavy item, she can only check to see if the unit powers on. She recently sold an item that the she had Fedex pack and ship and it arrived not in working order. She doesn't want to take the chance of shipping a non-functioning item again and so will only sell if someone can make sure it not only powers on, but also puts out sound, etc. Any small set of speaks with basic bare wire cable to connect would be sufficient, I think. From the description of the item (1-owner) and the fact that it was in a rack, I don't think there will be any problem, but the seller insists.

It sounds like her location is a little remote, but if anyone is swinging somewhat near and could spare the time, I could cover the gas.

However it works out, thank you to all who've considered helping.

Still holding out hope, though

Well, I had given up hope that the seller still had the amp, as I hadn't heard anything from her for awhile. Hwr., I just received an email from her asking if I'd found anyone that could help out. So ... I thought I'd give this a bump to try again to see if anyone might be able to lend a hand. Zip code 11784. Time & logistics flexible. I would of course cover any costs. Thx for considering.

Well, I had given up hope that the seller still had the amp, as I hadn't heard anything from her for awhile. Hwr., I just received an email from her asking if I'd found anyone that could help out. So ... I thought I'd give this a bump to try again to see if anyone might be able to lend a hand. Zip code 11784. Time & logistics flexible. I would of course cover any costs. Thx for considering.

hey there, I just read your pots. I live on Long island and about 25 minutes for Selden... is the deal still on?

ginovino, thank you so much for responding! I think the deal could still be on. I emailed the seller again, saying that I may have found someone who could help. She checks her email somewhat irregularly and I am still waiting for her response. I will keep you posted as soon as I hear an update.

p.s. If the deal can still be made, I'm sure that it won't be a problem to work completely around your schedule as the seller doesn't seem to respond with much alacrity and I am willing to wait as well.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Hey not an issue...to help another AK'r. my apologies for the typo's in my earlier response! It's apparent you got the gist of my note nonetheless:)

You may be winning on 2 counts. I will be visiting the Highlands Ranch area of Colorado the w/o Oct 15-22th. If the amp is not too large, I may be able to bring it along instead. (I'm assuming you reside in Colorado, why would you want to live anyplace else in "flyover" country?).

Please provide the details in a p/m in order for me to best represent you with the seller, including testing the rig out and any price negotiations if needed. (I do a reasonable business on Audiogon and eBay with vintage gear).:yes:

Share with me whats needed....:thmbsp:

ps... You and I may be the only members of AK that knows what "alacrity" means!

ps... You and I may be the only members of AK that knows what "alacrity" means!

Hey! :nono: I actually used that word yesterday, while describing how slowly my friend had responded to my e-mails about a piano until I mentioned that it was an 1863 Steinway...

je

Okay, that makes 3 of us :naughty:

How did I miss this little exchange? ... Gave me a chuckle.:lmao: I actually had to go back and read my own post as I didn't remember using the word?!:screwy:

Anyway, I finally heard back from the seller tonight. She seems to be dealing with some kind of family illness, which explains the intermittent contact. I expressed to her not to worry and to focus on what's important, but she said she should have some time to send me some pix this weekend. (I still haven't seen any.) Gino, I will update you here and by PM as soon as things progress.

Thank for staying with this. I continue to be astounded at the graciousness of the AK community and feel very fortunate to have stumbled upon it.:ntwrthy:

My I ask what component/brand/model is it that your lingering on for?

I like to know what it is that I am offering my services for.:banana:

Well, I still haven't received any pictures nor any contact from the seller all last week. As I don't know what kind of illness she is dealing with, I didn't want to press at all and waited. I will make another attempt this weekend and am going to see if she will accept a lower bid if I assume the risk that the amp isn't functional.

I'm sending you a pm, Gino.

Okay, so I wanted to let everyone know that this Pony Express mission ... was a SUCCESS! :yippy:

I safely received a Yamaha B2 and C2 last week, both expertly packed by Ginovino. I can't say enough about how gracious he was in helping me out: driving a not insignificant distance, assessing the pieces outside in the cold, and packing them so professionally. But even more, he stuck with me through what turned out to be a long and sometimes frustrating "hunt". As the seller had to give her attention elsewhere for quite awhile, often allowing days and days to pass before responding, I began to think that it might never come to fruition. I even worried that the repeated delays might cause Ginovino to wash his hands of the whole thing (which I would have completely understood). Despite all the hassles, though, he stayed with me and in the end it worked out even better than I'd hoped.

I'd also like to thank Numbdiver, who, first tipped me off to these items and whose advice on the equipment and on the deal itself was indispensable throughout.

You both represent what I find so amazing about the members here and have definitely incurred some great Audio Karma!

Those local to me, whom I've told of this saga, were incredulous that there were people out there that would be so generous as to be so helpful to someone they had never even met. Some, I think, were even beginning to think that I was making it all up. Well, they'll have to believe me now as I have the proof!

I just wanted to say 'thank you'. I feel very fortunate to have stumbled into this community here at AK. :ntwrthy:

Back
Top Bottom