Long load times with new format

Been gone a week from AK and decided to look up my thread this Saturday Morning. Moving very slowly guys, very slowly. I have however been spending some quality time on the faster loading audio sites. And now I push the post button and wait a minute or so.

Something that will help the guys troubleshoot this: some details with the posts. I do the same on other forums I administer. Knowing "what" and "when" helps the staff from chasing a moving target.

1. Computer OS
2. Browser, and version
3. Exact time and date the slowdown (so they can check against the server logs)
3A. The page, the thread or post, or the function at the exact time of the slowdown. ("Making a post in the Xxxxx thread," or "Reading the 'new posts' page," for example.)
4. Exactly what happens. "Slow" doesn't mean anything on its own. Is part of the page loading, and then nothing happens? Is the page fully loaded, and a progress indicator shows its waiting for something (such as, when uploading a photo or entering a post)? This might indicate if it is an external server causing the page to hang (ad network, social media button), or if there is a delay on the server.

Your IP address is captured when you post, and also shows up in a log of IP addresses you have visited from, so it's possible they may not need it. For many of us, we access from the same IP address or, in the case of mobile, my IPs on mobile probably show a varying address, but one which belongs to the carrier I use (Project Fi). The reason staff may need an IP address is to do a reverse traceroute, and see if it is a network issue from your device to the host, and also a traceroute from the host back to your device. It is not uncommon for these to take two separate routes, depending on how the host has their routing configured.

I know it seems like an abundance of details, but if I can look at a member's reported information (date and time) and match it against something like the server logs, I could see if there is any correlation between my site and the issue at hand. Admins don't mean to make "busy work," but having more information beyond "the forum is slow" is likely the only means an admin has to try to track it down.

I don't notice any delays at all on the forum. On a computer I am running with ad blockers, but, not on my phones or the tablet (where I only occasionally visit AK--the bulk are via computer). But, give the guys here a li'l more information and it'll help them track down whatever seems to be a problem for some of the visitors here.

I can make it very simple for you. Using an Apple with OS 10.11.1 and Safari or Firefox for browser. Just for kicks and grins I brought my new PC with Windows 10 home from work to compare load times. I use this computer for doing 3D CAD so it's a powerhouse. It was no faster, possibly a little slower than the Macs I have. So there you have it, everything I use is slow on AK and only on AK with no exceptions.

Something that will help the guys troubleshoot this: some details with the posts. I do the same on other forums I administer. Knowing "what" and "when" helps the staff from chasing a moving target.

1. Computer OS
2. Browser, and version
3. Exact time and date the slowdown (so they can check against the server logs)
3A. The page, the thread or post, or the function at the exact time of the slowdown. ("Making a post in the Xxxxx thread," or "Reading the 'new posts' page," for example.)
4. Exactly what happens. "Slow" doesn't mean anything on its own. Is part of the page loading, and then nothing happens? Is the page fully loaded, and a progress indicator shows its waiting for something (such as, when uploading a photo or entering a post)? This might indicate if it is an external server causing the page to hang (ad network, social media button), or if there is a delay on the server.

Your IP address is captured when you post, and also shows up in a log of IP addresses you have visited from, so it's possible they may not need it. For many of us, we access from the same IP address or, in the case of mobile, my IPs on mobile probably show a varying address, but one which belongs to the carrier I use (Project Fi). The reason staff may need an IP address is to do a reverse traceroute, and see if it is a network issue from your device to the host, and also a traceroute from the host back to your device. It is not uncommon for these to take two separate routes, depending on how the host has their routing configured.

I know it seems like an abundance of details, but if I can look at a member's reported information (date and time) and match it against something like the server logs, I could see if there is any correlation between my site and the issue at hand. Admins don't mean to make "busy work," but having more information beyond "the forum is slow" is likely the only means an admin has to try to track it down.

I don't notice any delays at all on the forum. On a computer I am running with ad blockers, but, not on my phones or the tablet (where I only occasionally visit AK--the bulk are via computer). But, give the guys here a li'l more information and it'll help them track down whatever seems to be a problem for some of the visitors here.

This is plainly a network issue—not a ghommed rig or horsepower deal. The proxy server test and visiting of other sites without issue support this.

The only thing that rings with any sense is unique (cookied) 3rd party content on a bad or clogged hop. i.e. Bobs House of Gambling bought an AdSense ad and serves the image(s) from their server. BHG’s host has issues. Page hangs waiting on "Bob".

Or…or…reaching big here…quirky load balancing/throttling on AK’s host part with “high” traffic blocks of IPs.

This “unique AK issue” is not brand new…same deal has cropped before (pre-upgrade)—very perplexing. I’m still betting on a 3rd party ad/image/script server bogging certain pipes.

Someone with this issue should run the Dev Network tool in Firefox and post a screen shot. That will show the snag and help narrow down the culprit.

Someone with this issue should run the Dev Network tool in Firefox and post a screen shot. That will show the snag and help narrow down the culprit.

Yeah, would be potentially quite helpful if someone having the slow load times would do this to see the result.

I turned it on just to have a look but I don't have the slowdown so nothing of material interest for me to provide.

I loaded a fresh Ubuntu OS and Chrome last night to see if the new SkimLinks thing Ghostery is now showing would go away, no luck, but AK was running much faster for me. I'm afraid to do any OS updates because it might slow it down. lol

I had the same problem, http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ak-slow-today.657789/ It was never resolved, AK was fast using a proxy, but proxy's don't always render the page correctly. The solution is simple, Just download and install Opera web browser and turn on turbo, It works perfectly!!

"The pages you visit go through one of our servers. The server identifies pieces of the page that can be compressed. It shaves off image pixels and corrects video buffering. Then, it sends back these smaller-sized pieces to your device."

Turbo is off by default, you will have to turn it on! I guarantee this will work for you, when you get it installed, click on the opera button in the top right top corner and check Opera turbo, Thats it!

After a 3 week absence I paid a visit today and the site is very fast. Somebody did something good. I'm back!

Yeah, would be potentially quite helpful if someone having the slow load times would do this to see the result.

I turned it on just to have a look but I don't have the slowdown so nothing of material interest for me to provide.

See attached screenshot. Windows 8.1 x64, Firefox 43.0.4 x64.

I've been away from this site for a while but returned the other day, after upgrading our internet to 20 Mb fiber. I am also experiencing the v e r y s l o w page loads here. :(

example.jpg

...here's mine...

Your ping thing doesn't look too bad overall, but your previous post from the FireFox analyzer looks horrible for some of those .js scripts(?).

I've been playing with that FireFox analyzer just to see and typical times here are AK are under 4 seconds.

I'm still trying to figure out why my computer at home loads at a snails pace on 8 mbps, but bring it into work with me and it loads like lightning on 1.5 mbps. Had the internet guy out and he basically did the speed test and said, "yep, you're getting 8 mbps". Said my work connection may be faster because they have a buisiness connection. So a business a.5 is a billion times faster than a residential 8 mbps ? Sad, because when I first bumped to 8 from 1.5 at home it was much faster at that time.

I live in a community with some kind of brother in law internet deal. They're the only choice here unless you live a couple of streets over in any direction.

Back
Top Bottom