Long-term equipment want/lust list?

J English

Every now and then, I compile my "what if money were almost no object...what would I buy?" Did a new list today to relieve the pressure in my brain. (I'm a very thrifty person and almost always buy things used, and I do like my mid-fi equipment - so this will probably never get used. And of course, thrifty person that I am, there is a beyond-this-level realm that even if I had a lot of money, I would never spend. But this is my list as of now.)

1. Speakers –Tekton Lore Reference ($750) or Magnaplanar 1.7s ($2000)
2. Amp – Schiit Vidar ($700) or Benchmark AHB2 ($3000)
3. Turntable – Rega Planar 3 ($950)
4. DAC – Schiit Bifrost Multibit ($600) or Benchmark DAC3HGC ($2200)
5. Cartridge – TBD
6. Phono Pre – TBD
7. Preamp – Passive (have) or TBD
8. CD player - TBD
9. Tape Deck – what I have is probably OK - I'm not one to chase this medium to absolute levels

What's on your wish lists?

Gefen HD Pattern Signal Generator, to digitize discrete 5.1 analog channels from my vintage sound card to HDMI.

Onkyo Grand Integra M510 :naughty:
m-510.JPG

Four Mcintosh MC-3500 for my Concert Grands with a new C-22 III. I have the turntable. A pair of XR 290's with MC 601's. A SME 30 series with a linear arm, maybe a Bergmann with a model 5 as a back-up. Maybe a MCD 500, to see if its better than my MVP 861. Two Accuphase 1/6 th octave equalizers. Three Magico S7 for the fronts, and 4 S3 for the sides and rear. If the S7 can't handle the bass I guess two S series sub woofers. I have the amps. Any body want to recommend a projector. When I was in the business Barco and Runco were the two big names. The only issue was they were two noisy. Oh were the projection lamps ever expensive.

Just a modest (yet decent) Kenwood/Sansui/Marantz 50W integrated amp &/or Technics SL1200. I would prefer Mk2, but really - if I could choose to get one for free, or half the price, any gen would be fine :)

Two pair of Yamaha NS-2000

An early sixties TOTL Blaupunkt amp and pre-amp rebuilt with the best quality internal components with gold alloyed wire.

Thorens TD-309

McIntosh M-100

A state of the arts rebuilt Fisher Model FM-1000

I think I would like to take a bicycle tour of England, and come back with a Michell Gyrodec and a pair of Harbeth Super HL5 Plus speakers. Then catch the autumn colors in New England, and bring back a reissue pairing of the new C22 tube preamp and the new MC275 tube power amp.

Pleasant dreams.

McIntosh MC-60,one pair. This is my ''maybe someday'' choice.
McIntosh MI350/MC3500,one pair. This is my ''not a frickin' hope in hell'' choice.

Oh. And would a spare set of NOS Winged C's be asking too much?
SED 6550s are now unobtainium.

I just happen to have sixteen for retubing my VTL MB-450s after the next couple thousand hours. :)

Last edited:
I've been lusting after a pair of Aerial 10ts and a Parasound HCA-3500 for about 20 years now.

:p

Back
Top Bottom