Longevity

Copperman

I just happened to run across the paperwork for my 5000A receiver, purchased by a friend at the PX while serving in VietNam some 34 years ago, and thought there was some interesting data there...
Purchased 27 June 1970 for mail order delivery, it was shipped out of Japan 11 July 1970. And talk about factory fresh, the S/N (810070088) indicates a July 1970 manufacturing date.
The purchase price, $202, was a good discount from the stateside list of $450, but the real deal was the shipping; how does $3.40 for postage and insurance on a 46 lb. package from the Japan Regional PACEX to California sound?
Downside was the warranty--Sansui considered my friend as the original owner when it failed, and he was too busy to take it in, so I had to pay. At the second failure, it was apparent that the driver boards were defective. However, the Sansui branch office in Gardena, CA supplied a new pair of driver boards, complete with all components installed and instructions, eliminating the troublesome LV-2 diode, for a very nominal price, something like $15.
Finally, work?? Of course it still works--I even still have the tube system it replaced, just in case---

Dan ;)

Hardest thing for me about this is the realisation that July 1970 was 34 effin' years ago !! No it wasn't-that was just a couple years back? Right? Bwaaaaaah !!-Sandy G.

According to the CPI inflation calculator, $202 in 1970 would have the same buying power as $984.49 today. That was one expensive receiver.

- Pete

Originally posted by Sandy G
Hardest thing for me about this is the realisation that July 1970 was 34 effin' years ago !! No it wasn't-that was just a couple years back? Right? Bwaaaaaah !!-Sandy G.

Whew, aint' that the truth! :worried: Seems like I blinked and the time flew on by. Damn scary I tell ya...

Back
Top Bottom