Look, a real Camera

Hyfi

Addicted Member
I am still chuckling to myself. I was on vacation last week and went out for dinner with friends to the Marina Grill in Belmar NJ. We got a nice seat outside overlooking the Marina.

At some point during the meal, we asked the server to take a picture of us all. As she backed up to get the shot, I heard someone from the table behind us saying to the other "Look, a real camera. I have not seen one of those for a long time"

I don't own a modern smart phone and my 10 y/o Razer takes crappy pictures. I was carrying my Cannon G11, yep a real camera.

Nothing wrong with that camera at all. Great for landscapes and objects that aren't moving. I think what the other guests were referring to was that your camera actually does look old school, a film camera, and not some honking DSLR.

That G11 looks closer to a Leica with a rangefinder actually. Please no flames on that comment,... but maybe that's what the guests might see with an untrained eye.

Nothing wrong with that camera at all. Great for landscapes and objects that aren't moving. I think what the other guests were referring to was that your camera actually does look old school, a film camera, and not some honking DSLR.
No, they meant it was an actual camera and not a phone that takes pictures. I love the camera and all it's functionality.

I heard someone from the table behind us saying to the other "Look, a real camera. I have not seen one of those for a long time"

I don't own a modern smart phone and my 10 y/o Razer takes crappy pictures. I was carrying my Cannon G11, yep a real camera.

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood the context of your post. The "I have not seen one of those for a long time", threw me off,... :idea:

BTW, I love my Canon and glass.

Everytime I take a pic with my iPhone, I say to myself,... "I wish I had my FF camera with me!" Seriously, it's not about the camera or body, it's all about the glass (lens) which IMHO, iPhones can't provide. You don't see pro photographers at sporting events taking pics with their iPhones.

Honestly i had an image of a big format camera on a tripod with a bellows and a flash bulb flash but reality set in :rolleyes:

Honestly i had an image of a big format camera on a tripod with a bellows and a flash bulb flash but reality set in :rolleyes:

I wasn't going back that far,... but maybe to about here.

20130620-lens-bresson-slide-IVP4-superJumbo.jpg

I have an old Pentax K10d DSLR. You have to look through the viewfinder to see what you are going to take a picture of. One family gathering I asked my 13 year old nephew to take a picture of my sisters, MOM and me. He didn't have a clue how to use it. Smart Phone cameras are really nice, but I still like my Pentax, and all my lenses.

I bought my fourth Canon digital camera today, and also own Sony and Olympus digitals. Good photos from all, but it was my first one, the Sony, that thrilled me by taking photos that my film cameras never could have.

Lol.

Yeah the idea was to add the autofocus feature to the "purity" of rangefinder lenses. Kyocera used lightweight ceramics to make the whole incredibly complex mechanism work.

Lightweight isn't a word I would associate with this camera. Lol. But they did succeed. I also understand the whole love affair with these lenses now. The 50mm Carl Zeiss i have on it right now is my favorite.

I was lucky enough to get it refurbished in Japan by Kyocera right before they gave up on Contax a few years ago so I hope to get another decade out if it before it blows up. Did I mention the incredibly complex mechanism? :)

I wonder if at $11 bucks a roll plus developing is film all that much more than printing digital pictures?

Back
Top Bottom