Look at what Fedex did to my first Barter Town sale

I've had good luck with UPS store packing and shipping vintage equipment. Certainly higher than pack yourself though.

Always pack expecting the worst.

A corollary ... always OPEN expecting the worse.

Got a Carver H9AV dropped on the porch this morning - apparently not the only time it'd been dropped, and maybe drop kicked along the way. I could also feel the unit sliding around inside. Immediately took some pics of the package before opening it, just in case.

h9av-packaging.jpg

h9av-packaging2.jpg

Fortunately, all is well. That's actually looks pretty good for a Carver ... they used shite paint on their gear. Faceplates were nice though, and that's the important part.

h9av-ok.jpg

Cleaned the controls (those were really really bad) and it's working perfect - already transplanted into the system.

I've had good luck with UPS store packing and shipping vintage equipment. Certainly higher than pack yourself though.

Based upon the volumes of horror stories here about UPS Store packing, I'd say you probably are in the minority opinion there.

FWIW, I pack my own stuff and after a couple thousand parcels you sort of figure it out...:D

It works for EVERYTHING.

I've been selling for 13+ years and have shipped all sorts of stuff using this. Receivers, tube amps, turntables, speakers like JBL L100s and Large Advents, even vises.

Everything is wrapped in large cell bubble, and then the carton voids filled with this and stuffed tight. Put 2+ inches in all directions and you're good to go.

Unfortunately, most folks don't have access to this stuff like I do, since this gets baled and recycled, unlike some of the smaller boxes we save for our members.

I've got 9 years of shipping everything from SX-1980, Marantz 2500, SPEC 2 amp, NS-1000M, etc., etc. At least we agree on using generous layers of large cell bubble wrap.

wow tons of feedback. lots of good methods that should prevent any issues in the future. I've gotten over it by now but I was pretty pissed off about it at first. lots of hours and parts on those things. But I will let you folks know how it turns out. It is important to me to be fair. I wasn't selling them to make a profit either, just breaking even almost. so the 200$ hit is painful.

I don't think that package handlers deliberately go out of their way to damage packages, it's just that in the millions of packages handled, they just don't give each one any special TLC, and packages become just cardboard Tetris pieces, and not valuable goods that actually mean something to somebody.

As someone said earlier, shipping is the bane of our hobby. I don't ship speakers.

have you seen the youtube videos of ups workers dropkicking boxes onto peoples' roofs? hilarious. until it happens to you. I didn't believe it till I saw it. and it's more than just a few bad apples.

All you have to do is visit the FedEx distribution center in Willington, CT and you will never ship large fragile packages again. They use big boxes to smash through jamups on the conveyors. Dudes ride the big guitar boxes down them and plow right through. High turnover rate their for workers, you have to handle 2 packages a second so imagine the visuals. Many smaller packages get thrown into the trucks with a few guys inside stacking them to fit as many as you can in the space available

That's like saying if the product I manufacture doesn't fit the sizes given that's okay because we manufacture millions of these and there's bound to be goofs. Tell that to a tire manufacturer.

It's their line of work, they should be better at what they do or slow it down to what they can handle and quit blaming the customer.......

Shipping a speaker is different than a tire. Nobody's life is on the line, well except maybe the UPS man/woman, with a speaker being damaged.........

These comments make me think of Dr Deming. Interestingly, I've had two tires that suffered from a manufacturing defect installed on my car. No one noticed all the way down the line till I noticed it while driving.

Unfortunately, we live in an imperfect world. Utopia is far out of reach. The sheer size of our population and the trillions of processes that happen each day gives rise to imperfection. It's a fact of life........

A realistic point of view from BillyBatts. Still, there is a gulf between as good as possible and what most shipping companies deliver.

All you have to do is visit the FedEx distribution center in Willington, CT and you will never ship large fragile packages again. They use big boxes to smash through jamups on the conveyors. Dudes ride the big guitar boxes down them and plow right through. High turnover rate their for workers, you have to handle 2 packages a second so imagine the visuals. Many smaller packages get thrown into the trucks with a few guys inside stacking them to fit as many as you can in the space available

I can assure you this happens at every warehouse for any large company as well. When I was a young kid loading trucks for a large red office supply company I remember being told at 1AM that we had one last pallet for the last truck of the night. We'd leave a 48" long space for it, and then a pallet stacked 6' high with 8' long marker boards would show up. The 2'x3' boards could be thrown the entire length of the trailer. :D

I just had to finalize my return details on this order. after filing a claim, they send you an e-mail that then states for you to mail or fax additional documentation of the shipping receipt, proof of value, and additional images/serial numbers. what a pain in the ass. luckily I found 2 web sites that I can fax for free or that would have cost me more money.

This thread section is so important for us audio buyers and sellers out there to learn every pre-caution to take when shipping items. I just wish I saw this before hand to see what others have done to avoid all these issues. They really make you jump through hoops when filing a claim.

I was going to ship via FedEx and then was told at the FedEx store they do not insure items...

so I got a check from fedfoool for 141.32$. had them insured for 150$. and the clerk told me at that they do insure and if I remember correctly was 1$ per 100$ of insurance. I don't know how they came up with this number but I would guess they are trying to only pay for one speaker & one package for damage. I sent them all the documentation to show that I sold them for 200$ with shipping and that they should thus pay 200. Along with serial numbers, photos of before and after shipping damage, and a bunch of other crap that they required me to fax or mail to them. (faxing would have cost me 15$ for 9 pages at staples). I found some website that allow you to fax a few pages for free/24 hours, just used 2 sites. I will try to call them on Monday for my 60 bucks but I doubt I would ever get it.

This is how i pack speakers for shipment via a PROPER carrier for speakers, NOT Fedex, UPS, or USPS.

Those common carriers are fine for properly packed speaker components, NOT complete speaker systems. The handling is too rough, and ALWAYS has been. That's why common carriers never delivered the speakers to the dealers when they were new.

Ideally, the foam needs to be firmly glued in place. Only the corners need padding.

crate2_zps6fb1e5fd.jpg

crate1_zpsf805ebc4.jpg

crates%202_zpscfqecbyc.jpg

Pool Noodles, they are cheap, sometimes free! Great resiliency, easy to cut to protect edges and corners. They have made my life much easier!

I was going to ship via FedEx and then was told at the FedEx store they do not insure items...

Well that was totally incorrect. Of course they offer insurance. Every package is insured automatically for a limited amount (is it $100?) and you can buy more at the rate stated in this thread. Sounds like the store employees didn't understand their own policies.

This is how i pack speakers for shipment via a PROPER carrier for speakers, NOT Fedex, UPS, or USPS.

Those common carriers are fine for properly packed speaker components, NOT complete speaker systems. The handling is too rough, and ALWAYS has been. That's why common carriers never delivered the speakers to the dealers when they were new.

Ideally, the foam needs to be firmly glued in place. Only the corners need padding.

crate2_zps6fb1e5fd.jpg

crate1_zpsf805ebc4.jpg

crates%202_zpscfqecbyc.jpg
Cost of that kind of packaging and expedited shipping will likely exceed cost of goods many participants of this forum are shipping.

Well that was totally incorrect. Of course they offer insurance. Every package is insured automatically for a limited amount (is it $100?) and you can buy more at the rate stated in this thread. Sounds like the store employees didn't understand their own policies.
It's a matter of semantics. If UPS and FedEx 'called' it insurance, they'd be subject to all the rules and restrictions and such that insurance companies are subject to. What you are paying for is coverage for a 'claimed value' of the shipped item. This allows the carriers to weasel out of the deal should they choose to do so.

Nowhere will you find reference to real insurance coverage on FedEx or UPS's website, unless they are referring to a third party.

Cost of that kind of packaging and expedited shipping will likely exceed cost of goods many participants of this forum are shipping.

Well yes, but it is none the less indescribably beautiful...

I always state how i want my amps packaged for safe shipping.

6fa38daf8960d56947e7a5812c994d51.jpg
b23e540ed76532880664280d44732d89.jpg

f08da496940cb08980e0c60f03632de6.jpg

Styrofoam sheets are good...if they are medium density with some give. Construction stuff is too hard and will not cushion.

There is not enough large cell bubble wrap to keep the knobs and switches off the styrofoam so there is risk for bent shafts.

The real problem here is the box is too small...unless this is simply the inner box.

Back
Top Bottom