Look what I found in the wall

Lo-Fidelity

I am rewiring an old garage apartment, and got a surprise when I drilled into the wall to pull wire. Looks like old ethernet cable. I wasn’t sure I would get would get the drill bit back.

6AB64EF7-6398-41B4-B414-77239D9DD448.jpeg

Looks like Bell wire to me. I found a crap load of that when I rewired my first home, which was a 1950s wood frame bungalow.

Yeah, does your doorbell still work? I have a 1922 house, and the doorbell, thermostat, and telephone wires were fabric wrapped. (So is the knob and tube AC wiring that is left, but it's thicker than the above photo...)

during ww2, telephone wire and cable were cloth wrapped. Oil was used for the war effort instead of plastic. That's why women had to put lines on the back of their legs instead of wearing "nylons"

A friend of mine got a contract to board up abandon house in Detroit from HUD. He could keep anything that was in a house. He drilled into a wall for some reason and shreaded money came out. He tore into the wall and found 42 thousand dollars.

A friend of mine got a contract to board up abandon house in Detroit from HUD. He could keep anything that was in a house. He drilled into a wall for some reason and shreaded money came out. He tore into the wall and found 42 thousand dollars.
I'll bet he broke open every wall after that...and had every drug sniffing dog chasing him for months....

Not worth it...

I sure hope he didn't turn it in or report it.

I am rewiring an old garage apartment, and got a surprise when I drilled into the wall to pull wire. Looks like old ethernet cable. I wasn’t sure I would get would get the drill bit back.

View attachment 1106824
Imagine a slightly larger drill bit - 6 foot diameter auger drilling a 25 foot deep hole for a monopole caisson foundation and pulling it up with about a 500 feet of LA Metro Rail's signaling cable wrapped around it. Dumbasses were 20 feet on to private property and didn't show up to mark it when the Dig-A-Lert ticket was open. That was an "interesting" day.

Worked with the phone company one summer hacking up customers' houses converting them to RJ11/12 jacks. With his hand auger (with LONG bits for pulling wire back through walls), one of our crew (8-10 guys) drilled up from the basement right into a mutli-thousand dollar Oriental rug, pulling its threads all into a big jumble in the middle. Another guy managed to drill into a running dishwasher and only noticed when water started shooting through the hole in the wall. I somehow drilled into a hot water pipe that was where it shouldn't have been (just above the top of the door frame). All of a sudden water starts coming out from door jamb at the floor, the lady starts screaming, and I get sick to my stomach. Great job, though. Learned a lot!

I've been pretty lucky with rewire projects, but it is sometimes a crap shoot. This little event has me considering a cheap borescope that can connect to an iPhone or tablet. They are surprisingly cheap.

The only thing I've found in a wall while pulling down plaster was a couple squirrel skeletons.

I have always liked the mummified squires and rats. My uncle had one for years with a cigarette in its mouth, and he'd tell all us kids that cigarettes kill. Man I wish had it..it was great!

Grossest thing I ever saw in a wall was about 2 lbs of roach poop. This was in a house we helped clean up after hurricane Harvey. It was awful.

I found a huge pile of rusty double edged razor blades when renovating my bathroom in our old house. Evidently people did use the slot in the old medicine cabinet.

Back
Top Bottom