Lookin' For A Tube Amp. I Need Guidance/Recs.

Shominy

Lunatic Member
Assume that I know nothing (or very little) I would like input on a nice sounding receiver or integrated to put together a tube system. It can be vintage or new... or in-between. Budget is low: <$300.

Assume that I know nothing (or very little) I would like input on a nice sounding receiver or integrated to put together a tube system. It can be vintage or new... or in-between. Budget is low: <$300.

With a budget that low, shipping can play a big role - where are you located?

I'd suggest something vintage. Cheapest option will probably be something pulled from an old console stereo, especially if you can find one locally and pull it out yourself. Most of the stuff I've found locally cost me $20 - $35. Magnavox amps are quite common and get a lot of love on here. Anything vintage will need to be refurbished so that it can be used safely for the long term but many of these are simple enough that you can do it yourself. Plenty of help and advice available on here. Locally, try thrift stores, flea markets, yard sales, Craigslist. Prices on eBay will usually be higher, although there are a lot of CL sellers who think the old consoles are worth a fortune - until nobody answers their ad and it sits there for months. Some consoles are worth more, especially if the woodwork is in perfect condition. I never pull parts from those, only from units that would likely end up in the landfill.

If you want a component style integrated amp, I always recommend the Voice of Music (VM) amps, either the 1448 or the 1428. The 1428 has a bit more power but its major advantage is that it has an input for modern magnetic phono cartridges. If you don't use a turntable, the 1448 will work fine too.

The VM console amps are really good too and can usually be found with their external preamp which is powered by the amp thru an umbilical cord. It's unlikely that you will find one of the VMs locally but they're on eBay.

Do your homework and you can still find good deals. On eBay, look at the Sold listings and see what things are actually selling for. Many sellers will list something as "buy it now" with a ridiculously high price and just keep relisting in hopes of finding a sucker. On CL, use several related search terms (one at a time: stereo, console, record, player, radio, turntable, entertainment) and don't just search under Electronics. Many sellers will list consoles under Furniture, Antiques, Collectibles, General, etc.

There are many here, especially those relatively new to tubes, who will suggest new Chinese gear. I have no experience with it but I've heard stories about counterfeit parts, transformers that are prone to failure (expensive), and the seemingly ubiquitous agreement that the tubes they ship with are poor quality - especially on low priced amps. Many people, however, find them satisfactory although I'm never sure if they have compared them to rebuilt vintage gear. From a visual standpoint, they do look nice.

There is also the fact that vintage gear will, at the very least, hold its value and most of it has steadily increased in value over the years. I have never seen used Chinese gear listed for sale on eBay. I'm guessing that most of it, even gear that's only 10 years old, may be in the landfill already. If it is being sold used, I'm sure the price is substantially lower than the new cost.

If you have fairly efficient speakers, i have recently rebuilt a Grommes LJ20 integrated amp. It uses 4 el84 and 4 12ax7. I converted it to SS rectified to simplify things. The design is very conservative so it is not hard on tubes. Price is just below your budget. If you are interested you can email me for pics and more info. regards. Primo

Back
Top Bottom