Looking at a Few Tube Amps

If you are able to place the speakers up against the back wall and or in a corner some gains can be made with the AX Two.

I was out today and didn't hace time to try oit the new tubes.

I think you would better off with LM than Cayin if you want the bigger power. LM appatently hired the Cayin designers years ago. The new Cayins are the same amps with different looking casework. I'd check into that if that sort of thing matters.

Lastly, it is oossible that company A does EL34 better than company B bit the reverse could be true of KT88. So ne vigilant.

I'd listen to them first, for sure. There is a local dealer that stocks Cayin. I'm not terribly concerned because Cayin have a good rep, so even if they use basically the same amps as they did years ago, it should still sound good. But it's better to be cautious for sure, before plunking down that much money.

Exchange rate at the time ended up being ~$775 shipped. Packaging was excellent.

I have an RCA 5UG4, Amperex 12au7, and set of Gold Lion EL84s on the way to try out.

Hey there....any further impressions on the KingKo? It looks enticing but I'd like some more details.
Compatibility for example, is there a 50/60hz issue? Does it run on 110/120v or do you use a transformer?

I've already got a step-down transformer in use with one of my Japanese amps, and it works fine.

ETA: I'm now reading the relevant thread at Steve Hoffman FWIW.

Last edited:
There is a switch on the side the changes the voltage. It will be set to US voltage if you buy it in the US. No step/down transformers will be needed.

Can someone tell me if these specs are any good. There is a guy in town that has offered it to me. He is a tech and I believe built it.

Magnavox 157,
modded and recapped with Jupiter Astron Style Capacitors
Approx 15 watts per channel
Class A 6V6 push pull.

Value $ ?

Thoughts, I have no idea.

Hi everyone...I've been looking at buying what hopefully will be my last amp for a long while and have narrowed it down as follows. It will be a tube integrated. Can't make up my mind so all comments are welcome!

Primaluna Prologue Premium
Icon Audio Stereo 40 mkIII
Cary SLI80 (used)
Line Magnetic 211ia
Icon Audio Stereo 30 SE

The first two are somewhat similar, push pull amps that take many different power tubes (a definite plus as it would be cool to try different types). Autobias on the Primaluna, manual bias on the Icon. With the Icon I prefer the use of 6SN7 and 6SL7 input tubes as I already own these and like them. I don't own any 12AU7 (Primaluna) that I can roll but it's not like it's an expensive tube.

The Cary is similar I suppose, but higher power (80 watts) and runs in Class A (40 watts) when in triode mode. I wonder if it runs the tubes hard by comparison to hit those numbers. Either way, the reviews are very positive and it's been in production a long time so it must be a quality product.

The 211ia, needless to say LM has earned a great rep over the past few years. The sound of my old Audio Space Galaxy 34 was fantastic with my ProAcs and I imagine I could expect about the same here. I have some nice RFT EL34 tubes and I have a bunch of 12AX7 as well. Doesn't look like other power tubes are an option though, which sucks but I do love the EL34 sound so I can live with that. The LM also is likely to ring in at less money than the other amps and seems like a real bargain in comparison.

Finally, the Icon 30 SE is a single ended, class A amp that runs 2 KT150 tubes. This tube seems to get high praise overall and I like the 6SN7 input tube as well. Wouldn't be able to use my EL34 tubes, which is a bummer, but I get single ended class A sound with a useful 18/28 watts of power (triode and ultralinear modes). A better match for my speakers than most other single ended amps.

I am a little bit hesitant about amps like the Icon 40, Cary, and Primaluna, as I've read that amps are optimized to run one kind of power tube, not multiple kinds, and so you are better off running the tube the amp was designed for. Makes me wonder if getting an amp so that one can roll all sorts of different power tubes is looking at it the wrong way. Might be better to just get the amp that'll sound the best with the tubes it was made for.
I agree with you, these circuits are based on the EL-34, I also prefer the 6 volt driver tubes over the 12 volt tubes.

You should also look at Audionote and Audionote kits. Their 300b amps are fabulous and well priced for whay they offer as well.

Back
Top Bottom