Looking at a Hitachi HT-67

Sandrion

Looking at a Hitachi HT-67(pics added), cart questions.

Wanted some info on it from you guys before I went and snagged it. I have a terrible plastic Kenwood that I sorely want to upgrade away from. Saw this one and looked up pictures (there arent many), and figured it looked nice enough. I have lurked here for a while now. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I'd say it's a definite step in the right direction.

And welcome to AK! :D :wave:

Photos now added. (Photo heavy)

Thanks for the welcome. I picked it up today for $60. Has a Stanton cart and stylus, although the stylus is shot and I need a new one. Any info on the cart? I took some pictures of it, maybe now it will be a better known about table. I really like it, and it seems to be pretty decent quality also, not "audiophile" by any means, but more than good enough for me.

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

Last edited:
Clean TT you got there.

Every Hitachi table I've own worked great. I think I even had that one once and the new owner was impressed. Sorry but can't remember the cart that was on it right now when I sold it. But if guessing it was a RS copy of a Shure M97.

Barney

I'm a fan of this era of Hitachi turntables. They're simple, they work, they're affordable. Your cartridge is probably from the Stanton 681 family (Stanton experts will be along any minute). Since the bodies of this family are all the same, the goodies are in the stylus. If you could photograph the other side of the stylus, you'll reveal the secret numbers and letter that tell us what stylus this was. If it's shot, it doesn't really matter. What we usually recommend is to find a new-old-stock stylus, and right now the prime candidate is the D6800EE at stereoneedles.com [now out of stock] for around $60. It should work reasonably well in that arm, though the HT-67 uses Hitachi's Hi-Tech arm which is made of specially-treated steel, so it's unavoidably heavier than, say, the polymer arm on the earlier HT-60.

Last edited:
If you could photograph the other side of the stylus, you'll reveal the secret numbers and letter that tell us what stylus this was.

I thought I mentioned it before now, (might be in my Stanton cart thread) the stylus is a D65.

If the stylus is as bad as you say it is on that Stanton i wouldn't use it even with a nickel on the headshell, which is also a very bad idea.
Nice looking table.

Oh it is that bad, and Im not using it at all now, that was basically just to check to see if the thing even worked fully. And thanks.

Hi Sandrion congrats on your Hitachi TT well let me tell you i Have A H60 that has an inferior arm and let me tell you that the little Hitachi H60 makes the AT 440Mla sounds better than all my other TT.
Keep them Spinning.
Zeplin

I just picked up this same turntable today for $35. Trying to find out what the 2 adjustment screws under the plugs around the tonearm pivot are for. The autostart is about 3/8's of an inch too short. Looks like I need a whole cartridge as the previous owner soldered the red headshell wire to the cart. DOH!

I cant say for sure

I just picked up this same turntable today for $35. Trying to find out what the 2 adjustment screws under the plugs around the tonearm pivot are for. The autostart is about 3/8's of an inch too short. Looks like I need a whole cartridge as the previous owner soldered the red headshell wire to the cart. DOH!

But I had a Pioneer with the same plugs and you had to move the arm TOWARD the platter to get the alignment screws to line up with the plugs..It only took a VERY small turn of those to make the arm land at the right spot on the lead in...hope that helps..

Also for the table with the bad Stanton, you may want to branch out to a different cart

Nice table by the way ! Congrats to both

Okay I have figured out that the adjustment screw to the left of the tonearm is for the landing of the tonearm on auto start, but not the one to the right. Anyone? Sandrion? Where are you man? I hope you know!

Sandrion actually sold this table to byrdmk a month or two ago, you may want to send him a pm with your question.

I just did...thanks for the heads up! Appreciate it!

Sorry my belated response! Although, it's not a good response. I have no idea what any of the screws or plugs do. Sandrion had this table set up perfectly. The automatic features are so smooth and so quiet. It has really given me a love for a direct drive, automatic table. Straight tonearm with a new AT95E sounds GREAT to my ears. Sadly, I can't be much help technically because this one has never needed any adjustment while I have owned it. Regards!!

Okay, I figured out what they do...the one on the left is for adjusting where the tonearm lands on the record and the one on the right is for how high the tonearm lift goes. It is recommended 6-9cm above the record surface.

Does yours have rear feet on the bottom? The one I got has the screws but no feet. But that may be the least of my worries as on the second LP i played on it, there were several instances where there was a crackling/buzzing sound and the speed dropped for a split second. May have more issues that just feet...huh?

HITACHI HT-67 Update: Been using it quite a bit and haven't had any issues since mentioning the one above and I am going to chalk that one up as a brownout in electricity. I put a Sanyo MG-29E cartridge on it to test it and actually it sounds pretty damn good! Since I have not had any luck scoring a set of hinges for it I fabricated a set that purely just for holding it on securely. Still need a full set of feet. I had been really debating the idea of buying a NEW Audio Technica AT-LP120USB but after looking at the specs and seeing a Signal/Noise Ratio listed of >50db and this table has 75db...I feel that sound wise...I'll stick with this little Hitachi and show it some love! Still trying to make up my mind a cartridge for it. Plus I need a great deal on a headshell or two.

Back
Top Bottom