Looking at a Pioneer SX-990

Joel66

I stopped at the hi fi shop today to make a payment on my JBL speakers. Once more payment and they come home with me. I looked, again, at the receiver that my speakers were once connected to. They sounded great, with a cd, at that time. It honestly sounded like Charley Pride was in the room live.

The receiver is very tempting. It's on consignment by the original owner. It's in pristine condition. Comes with owner's manual and paperwork. Even comes in the original box. It's been gone through by the best tech in the area. The price is $200

Is that a good price?

Thanks,
Joel

If it is fully functional and is cosmetically nice, that is a good price. You do need the old style speaker plugs to connect speakers to it. Make sure at least one set come with it.

Enjoy,
Rich P

If it is fully functional and is cosmetically nice, that is a good price. You do need the old style speaker plugs to connect speakers to it. Make sure at least one set come with it.

Enjoy,
Rich P
I forgot to mention that. It is complete.

I'd say price is a little high, but not outrageous looking at ebay sales. Gone through by tech doesn't mean that much. Usually means just inspected and bias, DC offset and other things adjusted per service manual, and pots cleaned with deoxit. That is a good service and needed, but at it's age, you are playing Russian roulette to some extent. Something could go at anytime. At the age of that unit, it is is due for a restoration: meaning recap and replacement of suspect transistors/diodes. You could enjoy it for two years with no problem or for two months. If it has been recapped, grab it, it is a great deal, but I doubt it at that price.

Only 28 watts. What JBL speakers will you pair it with?

I stopped at the hi fi shop today

Wow. Where is there a hi fi shop near Cypress Inn, Tn?

I sold a SX990 about a year ago for 100$. It took me a while to get that. It was original except for the lamps being changed.

It sounded nice, but I disliked having the power switch and speaker selector on one shaft. Also disliked having the two part tone control knobs.

It is a nice sounding receiver, but is old enough that it should probably be recapped/restored (like HH mentioned above).

I'd say price is a little high, but not outrageous looking at ebay sales. Gone through by tech doesn't mean that much. Usually means just inspected and bias, DC offset and other things adjusted per service manual, and pots cleaned with deoxit. That is a good service and needed, but at it's age, you are playing Russian roulette to some extent. Something could go at anytime. At the age of that unit, it is is due for a restoration: meaning recap and replacement of suspect transistors/diodes. You could enjoy it for two years with no problem or for two months. If it has been recapped, grab it, it is a great deal, but I doubt it at that price.

The speakers are JBL R-123. I work in the Muscle Shoals area. We've got nothing in Cypress Inn besides wild life and meth heads. Lol

Yeah, I figured your shop was south in Florence/M.S. or north in Nashville. There are many good receivers that come up in the Florence, Decatur, and Huntsville area. Keep and eye out on CL. Prices will be half or 75% of what you pay a resale shop. I don't know anything about those JBLs. Good luck.

Yeah, I figured your shop was south in Florence/M.S. or north in Nashville. There are many good receivers that come up in the Florence, Decatur, and Huntsville area. Keep and eye out on CL. Prices will be half or 75% of what you pay a resale shop. I don't know anything about those JBLs. Good luck.
Thanks.

I stopped in to the shop today and picked up my new (to me) JBLs. I asked about the receiver and was told that it's been completely restored. I'm seriously thinking about putting it in lay a way.

Depends on what they mean by completely restored.
My thought exactly. I was told it was recapped and that bad transistors were replaced. It sounds great but, the age concerns me somewhat. I'm also looking at a new Sherwood that's gotten good reviews. RX-4508

The 990 is a very old piece. It's called the tuxedo because of the black knobs. I have a restored one. And I paid over 300 for it. It was offered back to me by my tech after I gave it to him. I would definitely buy it for that amount seeing what was done to it. Get a data work sheet made up , too.
Parman is correct.
The 990 is rare.

The 990 is a very old piece. It's called the tuxedo because of the black knobs. I have a restored one. And I paid over 300 for it. It was offered back to me by my tech after I gave it to him. I would definitely buy it for that amount seeing what was done to it. Get a data work sheet made up , too.
Parman is correct.
The 990 is rare.
Thanks. I ran into the lady that runs the shop. She also has an Onkyo TX-2500 that I didn't notice. They seem to have pretty good reviews here. I may check that out next time I can get there.

My first receiver was an Onkyo TX4500. Great sounding receiver and well built. The Onkyos are wider than most receivers so you have to watch that if you have a rack or something as it probably won't fit.
The SX 990 is a great looking receiver though I've never heard one.

Back
Top Bottom