1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a cheap dac

Discussion in 'DACs' started by Solist, Dec 8, 2018 at 8:16 AM.

1. Solist

Solist Active Member

Greetings!

I need a bit of help. A while ago I gave my father a set of mint Dual CL136 speakers to replace the cheap Logitech ones.

Now I think I will pair them with the SMSL SA50 amp,it should have enough power to fill the office where he works.

But I hit a wall when looking for a DAC. Is there anything you would recommend for the same price as the SMSL. He mostly listens to music via YouTube so I am looking for something to get the job done.

I am really in no position to spend a lot money so I was wondering if any of you found something that you really like at that price point.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. ccklone

ccklone The Only Good Head is a Deadhead Subscriber

Hey Now,

I tried this DAC for $21.99 from Amazon and was surprised at the sound you get for this inexpensive piece. You can certainly spend more, but for 22 bucks for You Tube audio you might try it out. I use it out in the garage with a Raspberry Pi streamer (Roon endpoint with RoPieee) and it does a yeoman’s job on the cheap.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FEDHHKE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Finest kind,
    Chris

absolve2525 likes this.
  3. mprince

mprince AK Subscriber Subscriber

Fiio D3, 20 bucks on Amazon. Had coax and optical inputs. Used one with a Chromecast Audio with good results.

GChief and xero-D-hero like this.
  4. cpt_paranoia

cpt_paranoia Well-Known Member

YouTube on what platform? PC? Phone/tablet?

YouTube, being Google, will cast to a Chromecast Audio on any platform, I think.

5. absolve2525

absolve2525 Super Member

Can this be used with an AC adapter? Thanks!

6. Silentnet

Silentnet AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yeah, standard 5volt USB supply like you charge your phone with.

absolve2525 likes this.

7. xero-D-hero

xero-D-hero Super Member

This ^^^^ x2.

Have two of them,one is currently being used w/some Sony cordless headphones for the TV in the LR and the other is kept around as a spare / test unit.

Would'nt hesitate to buy another,and I'm completely comfortable offering them up as a suggestion too.

JM2¢

Bret P.

GChief likes this.
  8. KlipschFan61

KlipschFan61 Smooth Jazzer

Why don't you just get an SMSL DAC?

sberger likes this.
  9. sberger

sberger Hard Core Geezer Subscriber

KlipschFan61 likes this.
  10. KlipschFan61

11. Sandstrom

Sandstrom Seldom turns out the way it does in the song Subscriber

I've never heard one myself, but have heard good things about the Topping D30 and it has USB/Coax/Optical. The newest version (3) of the Schiit Modi looks like a good buy as well.

12. KlipschFan61

My guess is, in this price range, the differences between brands and models isn't as significant as it becomes when you start dropping serious coin in the multi-thousand range. Most sub $200 DAC units will probably perform about the same. Then it just becomes a search for something that tickles your ivories. I've heard good things about the Topping and the Schiit. SMSL is probably right up in there in that price range. I certainly have found mine to be quite functional as well as reproducing music properly.