1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a good, cheap transport (Kenwood DP-990SG?)

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by Shegge_Wara, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Shegge_Wara

Shegge_Wara New Member

I've been using a Denon DCD-500AE as a transport with my Apogee Mini-DAC but the little thing makes a fairly loud ticking noise during playback that has really come to annoy me (my listening position is usually ~1m from the CDP). A friend needed a replacement CD-Player (I found a used Pioneer PD-S 802 for him), so I searched the local used marked to find one for me as well.

I don't expect an audible difference (other than the absence of annoying noises) but I would appreciate a well-built, quiet CDP.
    The DP-990SG seems like the favourite to me but I could use some advice. Which of these would make the best transport?

The DP-990SG looks quite impressive inside but the DP-7040 isn't too bad either:
    [​IMG]

EDIT:
    If it makes a difference, it doesn't have to play any CD-Rs or CD-RWs. My PC (ESI Juli@, coax S/PDIF out) is my main source anyway.

Kenwood DP-990SG - ~40-50€:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (at least I'm pretty sure that's a DP-990SG, the receiver on the bottom looks to be a KR-V77R or 87R)
    The seller clearly has no idea what they're selling but I'll be able to test it when I pick it up.

EDIT:
    For comparison, here's the inside of the DP-990SG:
    [​IMG]

and here's the DP-1100SG:
    [​IMG]

I've collected some more internal pictures of the 990 here

Kenwood DP-7040 - ~40-50€:
    [​IMG]
    EDIT: I've collected internal pictures here

Pioneer PD-S 707 - ~50-80€:
    [​IMG]

Sony XE-700 - ~50-60€:
    [​IMG]

Sony XE-900 - ~70-80€:
    [​IMG]
    EDIT: Here's a look at the internals:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Shegge_Wara

Shegge_Wara New Member

Quick update: I've picked up the DP-990SG (50€) and I found a remote for the DP-880SG (which is identical apart from the Edit & A/B Buttons, the DP-990SG shares the remote with the DP-1100SG and that one seems to be very hard to find) on Ebay (~10€).
    Other than a few minor scratches, it looks to be in perfect condition, I couldn't test whether the Toslink/Spdif outputs are clean (they're there at least) yet but the analog ourput is working fine andünsten quite impressive (tested with a pair of AKG K701s on a Lake People G109 amp).

The drive only makes any audible noises during spin-up/spin-down and while skipping tracks.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  3. Shegge_Wara

Shegge_Wara New Member