Looking for a great dual-voltage vintage (?) integrated amp <$500

Greg S.

Hi,
My Pioneer SX-828 needs repair, so I'm taking the opportunity to scout out a replacement vintage integrated amp. I didn't use the tuner and I like the clean aesthetics of integrated amps. I loved the sound of my Dual 1219 turntable with the 828, so I figured vintage was the way to go, but I'm open to newer suggestions.

I'm moving to Tokyo this summer hence the dual voltage consideration (100V/50Hz I believe). I'd love to find something that will work here in the US that I can also take with me. Again, this is primarily for my Dual 1229 turntable although I may pipe a digital source over another input occasionally.

I'd love to have something "iconic" or reasonably sought-after, as it's nice to have something worth keeping around and maintaining. That said, I don't want to fuss over it.

A few integrated amps I've considered:
Marantz 1060 (not sure if available dual voltage)
Pioneer SA-9500 (found an export model that's 120/220/240 but not sure it will work at 100)
Pionner A-27 (iconic, but a little too big and expensive)

I'm pretty sure dual-voltage will limit the search considerably. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

I'm moving to Tokyo this summer
You have my envy for that. I'm so fascinated by Japan, its landscapes and cultures! I really want to go there soon.

I'm pretty sure dual-voltage will limit the search considerably.
Yes, it will, since this is not really a standard term in the hi-fi scene.
My guess is you are from America. If so, this complicates the problem pretty much. As a matter of fact many amplifiers were offered in single- as well as multi-voltage versions, and the latter can be found especially in Europe. Literally all of the devices I own or have owned have support for all common voltages (100/110/220/240V) and frequencies (50/60Hz). With this in mind, try to find a European version of your amp of choice.

My guess is you are from America. If so, this complicates the problem pretty much. As a matter of fact many amplifiers were offered in single- as well as multi-voltage versions, and the latter can be found especially in Europe. Literally all of the devices I own or have owned have support for all common voltages (100/110/220/240V) and frequencies (50/60Hz). With this in mind, try to find a European version of your amp of choice.
Funny you mention that, because a local guy contacted me about an "export" model Pioneer that's spec'd for 120/220/240V and 50/60Hz, but Japan (100V) doesn't appear to be covered! That's why I'm trying to figure out a short list of models I can keep an eye out for. He also had a A-27 that was 100V switchable, but that thing sounds like a beast (60lbs I think?) and is above my budget.

You have my envy for that. I'm so fascinated by Japan, its landscapes and cultures! I really want to go there soon.
Well, I highly recommend you visit! Tokyo is a fascinating city, and I look forward to seeing more of Japan.

Thanks!

Ok, I'm losing hope for finding a great vintage multi-voltage receiver. If instead I just looked for an iconic integrated amp for around $500, primarily for use with my Dual turntable, would anyone recommend a shortlist?

Thanks.

Honestly you're not going to find many if ANY Multi-Voltage units of any era that have 100v as one of the voltages in the States. Japanese voltage units were almost exclusively kept in country. I do know that Sansui made a few Multivoltage units with 100v, but they were only sold in Japan. You might wait until you get over there and check out the local Audio Scene. Otherwise, take one of your current units and purchase a 100v to 120v converter.

Honestly you're not going to find many if ANY Multi-Voltage units of any era that have 100v as one of the voltages in the States. Japanese voltage units were almost exclusively kept in country. I do know that Sansui made a few Multivoltage units with 100v, but they were only sold in Japan. You might wait until you get over there and check out the local Audio Scene. Otherwise, take one of your current units and purchase a 100v to 120v converter.

I found a Pioneer A-27 locally that's multi-voltage (including 100V), but wow that's a lot of amplifier (~65 lbs/30kg worth). Sounds like it may be more rare than I thought.

I'm super interested in checking out the local scene, but I know I'm going to want to setup something right when I arrive.

So... perhaps I should reconsider that A-27 beast. It definitely seems to have "iconic" going for it, although the aesthetics take some getting used to.

The converters aren't that expensive. Should be able to find one under $100 on Amazon. Your average receiver, or amplifier isn't going to care about 50 or 60 Hz. I would probably make one out of a microwave transformer. Good luck.

Your best bet is to look for models that were only sold through military PX stores in Japan. They are fairly rare, and can be quite expensive, but they are also rather unique in appearance. Most of them had 120, 220 and 240 settings also, as they were designed to go home to Europe or the US.

Your best bet is to look for models that were only sold through military PX stores in Japan. They are fairly rare, and can be quite expensive, but they are also rather unique in appearance. Most of them had 120, 220 and 240 settings also, as they were designed to go home to Europe or the US.
That makes sense, but how would I got about identifying these models, besides looking at the input power ratings?

Also, I just found out the A-27 doesn't have a specific setting for 100V, only 120 on up.

The model numbers will be close, but not the same as the US models. Like a Yamaha CA-1000, which is the Japan version of the US CA-1020. Also, when this gear was distributed in the US, it was all silver-faced, while in Japan and Europe, it was black-faced.

You will be spoiled for choice in Japan. Japanese market only gear is so much better than anything fhat landed here. FM range is different in Japan so that rules out taking a receiver. I would get something cheap for now and indulge yourself when you get there.

Last edited:
Does it have to have a voltage switch, or are you OK with switching wires around inside? I have a restored and upgraded NAD 3140, but they don't have voltage selectors on the back. Instead, you have to rewire the transformer primaries.

I can have a look at other stuff I have?

Does it have to have a voltage switch, or are you OK with switching wires around inside? I have a restored and upgraded NAD 3140, but they don't have voltage selectors on the back. Instead, you have to rewire the transformer primaries.

I can have a look at other stuff I have?
Does rewiring the transformer primaries require soldering? If it's just moving wires around I might be up for it. And sure, let me know what else you have!

Save your money and buy it in Japan. Their Hifi brands continued to sell the good stuff until 1990s. To see what's available in Japan I recommend this site: http://audio-database.com/index.html
The Marantz 1060, Pioneer SA 9500 (SA 9800 in Japan) and A-27 are there and with better prices. But they also have the Pioneer A 200 and others we never got.

If you know someone who lives in Tokyo ask them, it is a very populated area. the cost of shipping from here might be a good part of the cost to buy one there.

Both the NAD 3140 and the Pioneer SX-626 that I have close to hand, the lowest voltage they will go to is 110v. The NAD would just require crimped wire nuts as that is how they do it from the factory, the Pioneer has a selector switch.

I think you're going to find very few units here that have 100v as an option on a voltage selector. I wonder what would happen if you ran an amp set for 110v on a 100 volt supply? Also what is the tolerance of the Japanese line voltage? How high or low will it go? I have measured the voltage at AC outlets over here as high as 128v, and as low as 98v. The latter was in a shop I used to work at, and the voltage dropped that low when we turned on the shop fans. Not good.

As others have suggested, it might be better off waiting until you get to Japan to source something. The only concern I might have is are they into Vintage audio there as much as people are here? Something makes me think that they might be all about throwing out the old and bringing in the new. Certainly Japanese consumer electronics are always about making things smaller, lighter, faster etc.

Lee.

Back
Top Bottom